You know you are in a small town when...

ross549

I picked up the local weekly town newspaper today and read the following two front page news stories:

• Omro driver facing fourth DWI charge
  • Elementary school puts on large Christmas show.

The newspaper was 8 pages long. The second section is a regional newspaper with news from about 8 different towns. The most info I ever got from this newspaper was the local school sports info.Seriously folks, I am not making this up. :) :) :)

Guest Paracelsus

Sounds a lot like The Wise County Messenger...The County Newspaper for Wise County, Texas. I work in the County Seat of Decatur...Pop. 3400. And it's the largest town in the County :) :) :)

• 5 months later...

I graduated in a class of 25. We were the large class as the class above and below had 12..... Tri-County no less! The newspaper came out weekly with about 12 pages maximum.Julia B)

So whats wrong with that paper looks like our neighboring towns paper .I live in a village with a population of 42 and we always just ask my nextdoor neighbor for the latest news . She is better than any paper .And cheaper too B) P.S. here is a clip from our local paper DID YOU KNOW A Sabbath keeping group meets weekly at 000 West Main st. XXXXXXX,Pa at 10A.M. on Saturday? You are invited .For more information call (814)555-55545or (814)666-6666 .Naturally I changed the relevant info so it would remain anonymous .

Reminds me of times way gone by, lived a very ruarl life, total student body was about 25 or 30, started in the proverbial one room school house. Did not have a newspaper, had to go into the "big" town/city for the paper (Placerville Times), Way in the gold rush days it was known as "Hangtown". Total population back then 1500. One store carried everything except clothing items. Bread regular size loaf .19, large size .21.. milk .55 a gallon. Quiet, peaceful, and it was way out in the sticks as the saying goes. 25 miles to Placerville.

I graduated in a class of 25.  We were the large class as the class above and below had 12..... Tri-County no less!  The newspaper came out weekly with about 12 pages maximum.Julia :thumbsup:
My class (just graduated June 2!! :thumbsup: ) has a scant 165...all of the classes that are left have 300+ and each year the number grows.We aren't small by SFNL's standards (so far!) but we are small by local standards. :whistling:

I can't remember the name of the town, but we were storm chasing through southern Indiana 6 or 7 years ago when we came up on a small town in the middle of no where (I know it is hard to believe there being a small town in the middle of no where in Indiana, but its true). There may have been 4 roads and a total of 12 buildings......counting houses. There was a small limestone building that was probably built in the 1920's sitting on one corner. Engraved in the stones above the double wood doors, in letters about 2 1/2 feet tall was this single word: "Bank". Thats it. Not BankOne or Bank of Southern Indiana.....just "Bank".

Well i got to admit stryder that town you speak of is smaller than mine we have a total of 15 houses two churches and a township building . We even have a business a local lumberman has his shop in town . kind of makes me feel like we are a little bigger .

great to know I'm not the only rural user here - small town in middle of no where ND - so flat here you can see your dog run away from home for 2 days.

You know what's ironic?I opened this thread when I was home on leave last December. It was brought back up the DAY after i come home on leave again!! :lol:

great to know I'm not the only rural user here - small town in middle of no where ND - so flat here you can see your dog run away from home for 2 days.
LOL! Gotta love the prairies B) That little town wouldn't happen to be named "Neche", would it? ;) I've been there - you can drive through it in about 20 seconds :P

Guest Paracelsus
I've been there - you can drive through it in about 20 seconds ;)
20 Seconds??That's almost an Eternity!! :w00t: The town where my Father grew up was so small..."Welcome To", and "Come Back Soon", were on the same sign :P B)

LOL! Gotta love the prairies :lol: That little town wouldn't happen to be named "Neche", would it? ;) I've been there - you can drive through it in about 20 seconds ;)
Close about 25 miles straight east of here - I'm in a little blip called Langdon actually

The county my Mother-in-Law lives in has a verizon phonebook that is published for them. The book is 1/4 inch thick. Mine, which only covers 4 towns, is 2 inches.Speaking of small towns. I drove thru Cisco, Ut a few weeks ago. It was a good sized town in the early 50's but looks like the last thing built and taken care of there was back in the 50's. Real funny thing is there are 2 exits off of I70 for it.

amusingly enough, the i-10 (built ~1970) leaving new orleans still has two un-named exits directly into the swamp, complete with overpasses!  they go nowhere!
MMM, Smells like a pork barrel project if there ever was one.

Guest Paracelsus
amusingly enough, the i-10 (built ~1970) leaving new orleans still has two un-named exits directly into the swamp, complete with overpasses!  they go nowhere!
I seem to recall reading, years ago, that those exits were originally going to be part of a complex "Yankee Tourist Abatement" system. :D :D :D

The county my Mother-in-Law lives in has a verizon phonebook that is published for them. The book is 1/4 inch thick. Mine, which only covers 4 towns, is 2 inches.Speaking of small towns. I drove thru Cisco, Ut a few weeks ago. It was a good sized town in the early 50's but looks like the last thing built and taken care of there was back in the 50's. Real funny thing is there are 2 exits off of I70 for it.
Our phone book which covers more than a dozen towns in a 30 mile radius is a whopping 1/2 inch thick . So I can understand that .