Tech News Forum

Jeber

Which describes your interest level:  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Two new forums have been suggested, and I thought this might be a good way for Scot to find out what degree of interest exists among our members.In your comments, feel free to include what sort of content you'd expect or like to see in such a forum.

Guest Paracelsus

I love to read Tech News. Get a few TechWeb NL's here at work. As far as contributing?...Anything I found interesting/important enough to post would no doubt already be here before I had time to do so :P <_< (Excepting the latest SOTA Analytical instruments :whistling: )

I like this idea. Most of the tech news gets put in the Water Cooler, and I think there's enough that it deserves it's own place.I would read it probably daily, and contribute probably once or twice a week.

I'm not really sure why we need one. It might be kind of a waste of space. There are plenty of other tech news sites like www.dailyrotation.com etc. But, if there were to be one, i'm sure i'd be reading it and posting in it :whistling:

How do you regulate the amount of people posting tho? Could end up having 1500 tech stories a day :'( - I know a bit exaggerated, but do you see what I mean?Would it be possible to have selected volunteers manage that area?

I prefer to use news aggregators for this type of thing. Lets me be selective about what type of news I want.In ATL it seems that significant Linux news is posted quickly anyway.So, my vote is to use something else. I don't see it adding value to the forum compared to the cost of maintaining it.

Guest Paracelsus
How do you regulate the amount of people posting tho?  Could end up having 1500 tech stories a day  :blink:  - I know a bit exaggerated, but do you see what I mean?Would it be possible to have selected volunteers manage that area?
I have to agree with Kelly on this point.Perhaps, once it's decided if we will have this section...A group of volunteers, as Kelly mentioned, could be selected...Each given responsibility for covering a different "aspect" of Tech News...Or gleaning highlights from the various Websites a/o publications/Newsletters.I believe this would help tremendously in assuring efforts and posts weren't wasted or duplicated.
I'm not really sure why we need one. It might be kind of a waste of space
Why?? It's called "One Stop Shop" ;) I subscribe to a few, but I'm no where near as Tech oriented as many of the Folks on this Forum. It would a Great Advantage for someone like myself... Who tends to come to Scot's first, to have "pre-identified important" news posted here :teehee: Edited by Paracelsus

I would read it. Being at work all day, and having limited time for free-surfing, I know I'm going to pick up the major tech stories at sites like this so just skim the headlines at the tech sites for those items that catch my eye. So, I voted "occasionally" for contributing only because I expect by the time I learn about something, it would already have been posted here. In fact, there are often news stories posted here that I counter-post at another site.

Speaking personally, I doubt we'd ever offer compitition to Google News or Slashdot...but what I envision is a forum in which we'd have the opportunity to discuss a few news topics each day instead of simply reading headlines . And where, in the regular news channels, a story may run for a day or two then drop off the radar, we'd be able to dissect a story as long as we wished, or revisit the subject at any time. Members with first hand knowledge of a news story, or who may be involved in some way, will add to our understanding of the issues.Another thing to consider: if we decide to go with this, should we consolidate all news related topics into this forum, whether they concern Windows, Linux, hardware, software, etc. or do we segregate the topics based on ??-and how would we best do that?

Another thing to consider: if we decide to go with this, should we consolidate all news related topics into this forum, whether they concern Windows, Linux, hardware, software, etc. or do we segregate the topics based on ??-and how would we best do that?
I can't imagine the non-Linux group being interested in the Linux topics. Many Linux dual boot but then again, maybe that would be a way to introduce Linux to the rest. :D :DActually, we tend to cover a lot of news in the All Things Linux. I could see the hardware and software linked together. Or I could see a single forum with separate areas like the Mozilla section of the Applications forum.

Before I joined the Scots forums, my internet experience had become somewhat lacking. I had gotten bored with it. SFNL has basically replaced my search engine. I find more interesting links here than I can handle and only go to a search engine for specifics. I can only think that having a Tech News Forum can make the forums an even more interesting place.

Being a bit of a Tech/News junkie myself, I enjoy all news about anything computers/technology related.
I'm the same way. My day isn't complete if i haven't checked my 25 RSS feeds :)My only worry about a news forum would be the amount of stories that may get posted. It sounds to me like it might get too crazy. :whistling: