Mageia 1.0 test

raymac46

securitybreach
Hi Ray,

Sorry I've not been around for a while - but I must agree Mageia rocks for me. I've never had any issues with my Dell laptop - it just works

Regards

Jim

Hey Jim, nice to see ya :thumbsup:

jimtheplanner

Hi Josh,

I'm in the process of moving job/house/life and living off "wifi hotspots" - should be settled in a few months (I hope). Back on topic - I cant fault Mageia it just works for me without any hassle

Regards

Jim

securitybreach
Hi Josh,

I'm in the process of moving job/house/life and living off "wifi hotspots" - should be settled in a few months (I hope). Back on topic - I cant fault Mageia it just works for me without any hassle

Regards

Jim

Good deal :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

I'm distro sampling a lot lately. I decided to try Mageia. Am presently downloading the 32bit gnome CD version. Their server is quite bandwidth limited. It's making a stately ~70KB rate right now. Estimated download time 2.5 hours. I'll let it finish...

What I remember the most from Mandriva 2009 and 2010 is that they were the most likely to be able to fully boot on flaky hardware. Don't know why, but they often did the job where the Ubuntu flavor distros weren't cutting it. Mandriva has always had my respect, although I'm way more familiar with the Debian types and therefore use them the most.

Edit: Oh crap. Two and a half hours. I got a 621MB file, not 700Mb. I quit, just too hard... :thumbsdown:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Oh crap. Two and a half hours. I got a 621MB file, not 700Mb. I quit, just too hard... :thumbsdown:

What are you using to download? Not your browser I hope. I always use >wget< as you can just start it again with the -c switch if it stops.

securitybreach
What are you using to download? Not your browser I hope. I always use >wget

I could not agree more, >wget:thumbup:

I always use >wget

You probably know this but remove the >

And, for those of us who like to click on things & such, there are nifty GUI frontends available:

Gwget

KGet

CLICK - THIS IS AN AUTO-GENERATED GUI PENGUIN BOT MESSAGE - PLEASE DO NOT POUR SULFURIC ACID ONTO THIS MESSAGE - CLICK

:P

securitybreach
CLICK - THIS IS AN AUTO-GENERATED GUI PENGUIN BOT MESSAGE - PLEASE DO NOT POUR SULFURIC ACID ONTO THIS MESSAGE - CLICK

:P

Rofl :hysterical: :hysterical:

I could not agree more, >wget< FTW :thumbup:

I always use >wget< -c when downloading ISOs plus you're already in the terminal so you can check the md5sum right afterwards.

You probably know this but remove the >< symbols from the above command.

I installed it from the Mandriva package manager but I don't know how to use it. What should I put into the url address window?

securitybreach
I installed it from the Mandriva package manager but I don't know how to use it. What should I put into the url address window?

For instance:

<wget> -c http://www.archlinux.org/iso/2011.08.19/archlinux-2011.08.19-core-x86_64.iso

Without the symbols around it

Misread the question

Réjean,

It does not like ftp. Try again with this addy:

http://www.slackware.org.uk/slackware/slackware-13.37-iso/slackware-13.37-install-dvd.iso

I tried Urmas way but;

code][rejean@localhost ~]$ whereis gcc

gcc: /usr/lib/gcc

[/code]

then:

[rejean@localhost ~]$ cd gwget
[rejean@localhost gwget]$ tar -xvzf gwget-1.0.4.tar.gz
gwget-1.0.4/
[code]
[rejean@localhost gwget]$ cd gwget-1.0.4
[rejean@localhost gwget-1.0.4]$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gconftool-2... /usr/bin/gconftool-2
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
[rejean@localhost gwget-1.0.4]$

Réjean,

It does not like ftp. Try againwith this addy:

http://www.slackware.org.uk/slackware/slackware-13.37-iso/slackware-13.37-install-dvd.iso

Thanks Urmas! It looks better! It has retrieved over 150 000 kb so far. Looks promising. I'll stay away from FTP from now on but where do you find the HTTP addresses?

But... your screenshot is telling me you are using Gwget.

:hmm:

So the one you suggested and the one that came from the Mandriva package manager are the same then and all my problems are solved. Thank you so much :thumbsup:

One minute little detail; why didn't Josh's link work?

Edited by réjean

securitybreach
live8f.th.jpg

I have to reply in little bits because I keep getting a 403 Forbidden error message

Sorry that was just an example url as it was really the torrent link, I just cut off the end to give you an idea of what to do. Also, it works perfectly well with ftp and https

See:

725059157686035.jpg

(That mirror is a bit slow but you get the idea)

Thanks guys!

Btw I wasn't going to download ArchLinux because I did so a few days ago> I am still trying to install it in VBox ( the 32 version that is ) and I found Josh' tutorial last night so it should be easier next time I give it a try.

Note the -c switch means continue, so you don't need it when you start the download. It will even resume a partial download started by another program.

To find the correct URL, you can go in your browser to the direct download link, right-click and select "Copy Link Location".

Cluttermagnet
What are you using to download? Not your browser I hope. I always use >wget< as you can just start it again with the -c switch if it stops.

Uhhh- yep, my browser. So rarely does it screw up, that I had long since concluded it was an 'ok' method to grab downloads. Apparently not? Anyway, the browser apparently felt that it had the whole download. It did not. The download died unattended by me and it looked like the entire download time had been wasted. I just looked in my downloads history, and apparently I was so PO'ed that I deleted it from the history. Ah, well... As I say, so rarely have I seen any problems downloading with FF that I had apparently concluded it is an 'ok' method. My hunch- the server wasn't up to the load, somebody flushed, and I got a cold shower. Maybe they needed to dump me to do 'server maintenance'. Whatever. >_<

Isn't it kind of insane to put a 700M software package on a server that can only stream it at 70KB? Something not quite right there. DSL, I guess...

I'll look into some of these supposedly superior download methods...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Uhhh- yep, my browser. So rarely does it screw up, that I had long since concluded it was an 'ok' method to grab downloads. Apparently not? Anyway, the browser apparently felt that it had the whole download. It did not. The download died unattended by me and it looked like the entire download time had been wasted. I just looked in my downloads history, and apparently I was so PO'ed that I deleted it from the history. Ah, well... As I say, so rarely have I seen any problems downloading with FF that I had apparently concluded it is an 'ok' method.

I have downloaded dozens of distros, several of them more than 3 Gb using FF and I have rarely encountered problems. Mind you we do have a good high speed connection here.

As a matter of fact I was remembering a few days ago the time it would take to download the latest version of netscape (~ 18 MB, in about 30 min ) when I was on a dial-up connection. Wow I now get that in a few seconds. Ah!!! The good new days.