win7 folders going invisible

burninbush

burninbush

Hoping someone here can give me a clue to fix this laptop. Booted it up today, ran DVDFab to backup a dvd, and when it was done I decided to check the quality of the backup -- but the c:\FullDisk folder was nowhere to be found, and in fact about 2/3rds of the folders in C: are now not visible in Windows Explorer. I'm using the same logon that I always use, and I have done similar backups many times. The folders are all still there; I found the movie copy with a Search. If I open a Cmd window and do a dir, only shows about a third of directories, same as Explorer, but if I do a dir /a /d then they all show. Can't figure how to get them to show in Explorer, that's the problem. I see no rhyme or reason to those that show vs those that don't. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with the install; this is a Tosh laptop that has been trouble-free for a couple years until today. The disk is only about a quarter full. I'm hoping this just means I've set something wrong by accident, but I after a search I gave up until I can ask the pros here.

Hoping someone here can give me a clue to fix this laptop. Booted it up today, ran DVDFab to backup a dvd, and when it was done I decided to check the quality of the backup -- but the c:\FullDisk folder was nowhere to be found, and in fact about 2/3rds of the folders in C: are now not visible in Windows Explorer. I'm using the same logon that I always use, and I have done similar backups many times. The folders are all still there; I found the movie copy with a Search. If I open a Cmd window and do a dir, only shows about a third of directories, same as Explorer, but if I do a dir /a /d then they all show. Can't figure how to get them to show in Explorer, that's the problem. I see no rhyme or reason to those that show vs those that don't. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with the install; this is a Tosh laptop that has been trouble-free for a couple years until today. The disk is only about a quarter full. I'm hoping this just means I've set something wrong by accident, but I after a search I gave up until I can ask the pros here.
Make sure that the following option is checked in Windows Explorer folder settings.showhiddenfifo.png

but if I do a dir /a /d then they all show.
At the C:\ prompt, type: dir *.* a:hThen see if the "FullDisc" folder shows up in the output. If yes, then that means it's marked as hidden.Follow the directions in my previous post to fix it.

burninbush
Make sure that the following option is checked in Windows Explorer folder settings.showhiddenfifo.png
Ah, that helped. Those I couldn't see had somehow become marked as hidden, and as well, I'm sure I previously had that 'show hidden' box checked during my initial setup. I'm certain I didn't do this on purpose -- maybe some update or such did it. I have had complaints from the machine recently, one particular update has now failed multiple times. I'll start another thread about it. Anyway, I seem to be back -- thanks mucho for the help.