How often do you defrag your hard drive?

Tushman

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious to see how many people still believe in defragging their HDD on a regular basis. I run my system pretty much 24/ 7 so I defrag my system drive about once a week. Running Win 7 64-bit with My Defrag.

I defrag mine when it starts to show problems - every other year or so.
Braggart :thumbsup: I degfrag once a week, old habit, with the built-in MS defrag program on WIN7 Pro 64bit, XP Pro 32bit, and Vista Business 32bit.

Hello,I defragment my HDD disk volumes once every two months, whether they need it or not. On SSDs I do not do anything. I am using Raxco's PerfectDisk software, which I find works quite well.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

James M. Fisher

I have O&O Defrag set to do auto defrag. Never think about it unless I do some major housecleaning of my hard drive. :)

I have O&O Defrag set to do auto defrag. Never think about it unless I do some major housecleaning of my hard drive. :)
It's interesting to see the responses thus far. One of the reasons why I started this poll is because I was curious to see how many people defrag on a regular basis given the current state of hardware today. Hard drives are getting more reliable, RAM is cheap, many motherboards support 4 GB+, and multi-threaded CPUs abound. So who defrags these days? I'm gonna guess it's more the computer hobbyists and people who are interested in getting the most out of their system. Of course defragging has never been about "speed" in the purest sense. But it's always given a little bit of boost along with a feel good kinda like changing the oil in your car. I really should have added another option to the poll - "WHEVER I feel like I need to". :thumbsup: Edited by Tushman

Hello,Many years ago, I used to run a BBS system (a computer with multiple modems that could be dialed into for forum discussions, software downloads and the like; very much the predecessor of modern web servers). On those computers, which ranged from an 80286 through a Pentium 60MHz, defragmenting the hard disk drive had a human noticeable affect on activities like reading messages and downloading files. Likewise, on 32-bit Windows systems, defragmenting files, making them contiguous and ordering them on the disk so they were located one after another improved the speed at which a computer booted up. Windows Vista (and Windows 7) seem to handle this automatically. One thing where I do see a difference is when I sync about 900GB worth of files between my desktop PC's internal data hard disk drive and an external hard disk drive on a USB 3.0 or eSATA interface. After defragmentation, the scan time to find new and changed files greatly decreases.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

It's interesting to see the responses thus far. One of the reasons why I started this poll is because I was curious to see how many people defrag on a regular basis given the current state of hardware today. Hard drives are getting more reliable, RAM is cheap, many motherboards support 4 GB+, and multi-threaded CPUs abound. So who defrags these days? I'm gonna guess it's more the computer hobbyists and people who are interested in getting the most out of their system. Of course defragging has never been about "speed" in the purest sense. But it's always given a little bit of boost along with a feel good kinda like changing the oil in your car. I really should have added another option to the poll - "WHEVER I feel like I need to". :thumbsup:

It's interesting to see the responses thus far. One of the reasons why I started this poll is because I was curious to see how many people defrag on a regular basis given the current state of hardware today. Hard drives are getting more reliable, RAM is cheap, many motherboards support 4 GB+, and multi-threaded CPUs abound. So who defrags these days? I'm gonna guess it's more the computer hobbyists and people who are interested in getting the most out of their system. Of course defragging has never been about "speed" in the purest sense. But it's always given a little bit of boost along with a feel good kinda like changing the oil in your car. I really should have added another option to the poll - "WHEVER I feel like I need to". :thumbsup:
By a significant margain, the hard drive is the slowest link in the chain of everyday use on a modern computer. Look at the popularity of solid state drives- these drives double and sometimes triple the access of data compared to the legacy magnetic drive. Also, I have seen several examples of RAID setups where the machine was wicked fast. With RAM bandwidth, CPU processing power, and system bus capacity these days, the tired old magnetic hard drive is long overdue for a technology refresh.

• 2 weeks later...
... and their prices are slowly coming down to almost affordable.
These days they're only expensive, rather than usurious. Definitely a step in the right direction - though admittedly it's the same path taken by every other piece of computer hardware over the years.