Can't play DVD movies

DarkSerge

Hello.It seems my Windows XP machine can no longer play movie DVDs. When I try, this is the message I get:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
I'm not exactly sure when this started, and it's doing this on DVDs I've watched on it before. I found a program called DVD43 that runs in the background and allows them to play, but then I have no audio. My video drivers are up-to-date. Windows Media Player is all I have on this computer to watch DVDs with.

Guest LilBambi

Hi, how about installing vlc for Windows and see if you can watch it then.This DRM crap gets in the way for folks a lot. And the newer OSes are worse with it due to the 'protected' video path and it's really not ready for prime time especially when something goes wrong like this.

Glad to hear it, DarkSerge. VLC has a pretty high "it just works" factor. It's cross-platform too and plays almost anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry a portable version. It helps trying to figure out if the problem is hardware or software. If vlc plays then the hardware is good. The user then has the choice of re-installing whatever app he/she was using and grab codecs or simply use vblc. I encourage using vlc because trying to figure out codes is a minefield!

Guest LilBambi
I carry a portable version. It helps trying to figure out if the problem is hardware or software. If vlc plays then the hardware is good. The user then has the choice of re-installing whatever app he/she was using and grab codecs or simply use vblc. I encourage using vlc because trying to figure out codes is a minefield!
So true, Liz! Sometimes not too bad, but other times, it's a real nightmare.

You can use gspot for that... http://www.snapfiles.com/get/gspot.html