Folder Sync

DarkSerge

HelloWhat's a good, reliable tool I can put on my Windows 7 Laptop to keep two folders in sync? I want to keep a folder on my laptop and a folder on my XP machine (through my network) synced so if I make changes or add files on one side, it can make sure the changes are made on the other side too. If I add a file on the XP side, it'll update and add the file on the 7 side, and vice-versa. (It doesn't have to be automatic, it can be manual where I have to click an "update" button.)

HelloWhat's a good, reliable tool I can put on my Windows 7 Laptop to keep two folders in sync? I want to keep a folder on my laptop and a folder on my XP machine (through my network) synced so if I make changes or add files on one side, it can make sure the changes are made on the other side too. If I add a file on the XP side, it'll update and add the file on the 7 side, and vice-versa. (It doesn't have to be automatic, it can be manual where I have to click an "update" button.)
Visa Versa Pro (or the Plus version) works very nicely and will do exactly what you want. Many options are included. A fully functional 30-day trial version is available from their website.I think we had a discussion on this before and Sync Back Pro was recommended by Goretsky. But like Visa Versa Pro, it is not free.In the freeware category, Robocopy will probably suffice..... that is, if you don't mind using CLI. If you decided to go this route, Robocopy is built into Windows 7/Vista and nothing extra is required. If you plan on using it on your XP machine, you'll need to download the Windows 2003 server resource kit.

I'm looking for the simplest, I'm not too big on using CLI (I know how, I grew up on DOS, but I'd rather just keep it simple with a click or two.) Freeware would be nice if possible. Basically, I want to have the same folder on two computers, with the same files and subfolders, and make sure they both stay the same. I know Windows has the briefcase folder that syncs files, but that would require the main folder itself within a briefcase on one of the computers, and I'd rather have it stand on it's own without needing to be within a briefcasefI notice Microsoft has SyncToy 2.1. Is that any good?

Edited by DarkSerge

I'm looking for the simplest, I'm not too big on using CLI (I know how, I grew up on DOS, but I'd rather just keep it simple with a click or two.) Freeware would be nice if possible. Basically, I want to have the same folder on two computers, with the same files and subfolders, and make sure they both stay the same. I know Windows has the briefcase folder that syncs files, but that would require the main folder itself within a briefcase on one of the computers, and I'd rather have it stand on it's own without needing to be within a briefcasefI notice Microsoft has SyncToy 2.1. Is that any good?
I don't know how you can get any simpler than Robocopy. If you don't like using CLI, make a batch file for it, and place a shortcut on your desktop. Double-click on it. Done.If you still prefer using a GUI, Visa Versa Pro (as I mentioned above) is quite good. I've used it several times before and it's very fast & reliable. Most of all, it's "simple" to use - with a couple of clicks, you can carry out your sync operation very quickly.
I notice Microsoft has SyncToy 2.1. Is that any good?
Never used it before. Edited by Tushman

Good suggestion. Maybe Karen's Replicator will work for DarkSerge. However, I don't see where it will copy/sync files across 2 computers on a network. Have you used this program before? Can you provide some details? Edited by Tushman

I usually see what Gizmo Richards has to say.http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...ion-utility.htm
Just for sh*ts & giggles, I decided to try some of those programs. Of his top 3 recommendations, I decided to install Pure Sync & Allway Sync. Right away, I noticed that Pure Sync had trouble recursing through a large number of subdirectories. (It could have been the fact that I'm running a 64-bit OS). The program stalled on me several times and I'm not too fond of any file copy programs that stall even before the actual copy operation begins. So I ditched that one.Allway Sync seems much more reliable. Pretty good features as far as freeware goes and didn't exhibit the problems that Pure sync did. I think the interface is OK - easily lets you choose the source & destination folders and there's some useful filters that make the program worth considering. I did have slight trouble figuring out how to sync my 2 folders in the beginning. Some things are not very intuitive. For example, they have Analyze; Synchronize; Analyze All; Synchronize All and the only to know what the differences are is to search through the Help menu. Even then it's not all that "helpful". But still the program does what it claims to do and it's reliable. Can't ask too much for "free". Obviously, between the two, my money is on Allway Sync for freeware.My favorite in the paid-for category is still Visa Versa Pro. It's one of those few pieces of software that I don't mind paying the $50 (or whatever they're charging on their website). It's d*mn good software. Edited by Tushman

abarbarian
Good suggestion. Maybe Karen's Replicator will work for DarkSerge. However, I don't see where it will copy/sync files across 2 computers on a network. Have you used this program before? Can you provide some details?
From the original link.http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.
From links on the original info page, as it has some useful info on using the program.http://www.karenware.com/newsletters/2008/2008-04-16.asp
Many people use the program to automatically backup files they create at work or at home. The files might be copied to a remote server, a local removable disk, or just another place on their computer's local hard drive. Either way, the user can sleep better at night, knowing they have at least two copies of every important file.
Only used the program to back up to a external hdd but it came highly recomended from a source whose opinion I value. B)