Ribbon Search Commands for MS Office 2010 & 2007

Corrine

Even though I've had Office 2007 since it was released and participated in the Office 2010 beta, I have yet to be fully comfortable with the Ribbon. Perhaps I am just too old school. I hadn't realized that Search Commands was updated to include Office 2010. As shown in the sample from both Office 2010 and 2007, the search mechanism is very intuitive.Ribbon Search Commands for Microsoft Office 2010 and 2007

Even though I've had Office 2007 since it was released and participated in the Office 2010 beta, I have yet to be fully comfortable with the Ribbon. Perhaps I am just too old school. I hadn't realized that Search Commands was updated to include Office 2010. As shown in the sample from both Office 2010 and 2007, the search mechanism is very intuitive.Ribbon Search Commands for Microsoft Office 2010 and 2007
I've been using it for about a year and it works wonderfully. I'm not sure when it was released but it sure would have "eased" the pain of moving over to 2007. I'm finally used to the ribbon now. I rarely ever need to use the search nowadays but it comes in handy for those moments when I just can't remember/find a particular feature or command.I took some screenshots but then I saw the post on your blog. I might as well post them anyways since I took the time to make the screenshots.After installing the 'Search Commands', you'll get an extra tab located at the very end.t1214196_Searchcommands1.pngEnter a search term. In this example, I typed in "paragraph". It will show you everything (emphasis added), that is related to paragraph tasks. There are 18 total and in this screenshot, it's showing 9/18. You can see the remaining options by clicking the green arrow "next" button.t1214196_Searchcommands1.pngIf you know exactly what you search for, you can narrow it down further. I added the "format" to the original search so now it's showing 3 options instead of 18. "paragraph format".t1214199_Searchcommands3.pngIf you hover your mouse over the corresponding options, you'll get a pop up showing you where exactly in the ribbon you can find the menu item so you don't have to search for it again.t1214200_Searchcommands4.pngFinally, if you click on the item that you want, it will take you right to it.t1214201_Searchcommands5.pngEdit: The images that I originally uploaded to Imgboot are quite blurry and seem distorted. New links provided. Edited by Tushman

Thanks for the additional information, Tushman. There are days when I find I just cannot remember how to do something. Using Search Commands is faster and easier than help.

thx corrine and tushman
I might have mentioned this one before but just in case I haven't. There is yet another tool for helping people ease the transition to 2007/2010 versions. Microsoft Help Tab is similar to the Search Commands toolbar. After installing the addon, you'll get some more options in the Help tab. (see 1st screenshot).As you can see from the 2nd screenshot, you can download an Excel spreadsheet for all the commands mapped out. Or if you choose the first option, you get a flash based interactive help guide. If you look at the 3rd screenshot, that mock up of the Office 2003 interface is fully interactive and you can click on any of the menu items just like you would if you had 2003 installed on your system.You certainly don't need both utilities. But I had the Help Tab installed long before I knew about the Search Commands toolbar. I find the search commands toolbar a tad more convenient & quicker. Just another option for people to consider... there's no harm in having both installed on your computer.t1214347_HelpTab1.pngt1214348_HelpTab2.pngt1214349_InteractiveHelp.png Edited by Tushman

Hello,Microsoft actually has an interactive simulation to help people familiarize themselves with the new interface. It can be downloaded here.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky