Win 7 & W2K

crp

I have a Windows 7 system and a Windows 2000 system both on small network and I can share just fine. They're connected to the same router and setup in the same workgroup.(and no, my Win2k system does not have internet access, it's pretty much for network use only using it's hard drive for storage.)

I have a Windows 7 system and a Windows 2000 system both on small network and I can share just fine. They're connected to the same router and setup in the same workgroup.(and no, my Win2k system does not have internet access, it's pretty much for network use only using it's hard drive for storage.)
There is a big difference between sharing files between two computers and "joining a w2k domain". In fact, unless you have at least "business" version of Win7, you can't join a domain on any server. So the first question to the OP is "What version of Win7 are you running?"

There is a big difference between sharing files between two computers and "joining a w2k domain". In fact, unless you have at least "business" version of Win7, you can't join a domain on any server. So the first question to the OP is "What version of Win7 are you running?"
7 Professional is coming in.as temmu noted earlier , it is theoritically supposed to work but I would like to know if someone (anyone) else actually got the setup to work without having to do changes to either the 7pro or the w2k - ie: was it connect the cord into the wall , join the domain and viola ornot quite.

7 Professional is coming in.as temmu noted earlier , it is theoritically supposed to work but I would like to know if someone (anyone) else actually got the setup to work without having to do changes to either the 7pro or the w2k - ie: was it connect the cord into the wall , join the domain and viola ornot quite.
On the w2k side, the admin will need to create and account for the Win7 user with username, password and permissions. On the Win7 side, there is a "wizard" for joining the domain.

Hello,At the very least, maybe some small tweaks to NTLM security to allow the Windows 7 clients to authenticate against the Windows 2000 Server?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky