Bluetooth and wireless keyboards/mice

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Hello everyone. I'm not sure this is where this post should go, but here goes. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of bluetooth for wireless keyboards and mice. In one of our conference rooms we have an A/V system that includes a PC. The PC is inside a cabinet on the floor. The door to the cabinet is always closed. I'm wondering if I were to get a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse combo in which I plug a bluetooth adapter into a USB port on the PC are the odds good or bad that the signal strength will be sufficient to make it through the cabinet door, as well as through the person sitting at the table using the wireless keyboard/mouse? Any thoughts?

Hello everyone. I'm not sure this is where this post should go, but here goes. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of bluetooth for wireless keyboards and mice. In one of our conference rooms we have an A/V system that includes a PC. The PC is inside a cabinet on the floor. The door to the cabinet is always closed. I'm wondering if I were to get a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse combo in which I plug a bluetooth adapter into a USB port on the PC are the odds good or bad that the signal strength will be sufficient to make it through the cabinet door, as well as through the person sitting at the table using the wireless keyboard/mouse? Any thoughts?
I'd say the odds are good but if it doesn't work, you could try plugging the dongle into a USB extension cable that would place it outside the cabinet.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, but much would depend on the any interference that would be an issue. As lewmur said, maybe an extension cable for USB to get it out of the cabinet if it's metal cabinet. Don't think would would be as much of a barrier but not sure.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth - that link has a table on the three classes of bluetooth and their effective distances. Looks like you would want to make sure you have Class 2 or preferably Class 3.I accidentally left my bluetooth device in the car on and my phone was still connected to it in the house LOL!Bluetooth keyboards and mice work well across the room but I am talking small rooms. Not sure about a conference room. Depends a lot on what Class the bluetooth uses for mice/keyboards. If they are Class 1, the person would have to stay up front and not wander more than a meter from the cabinet.A year or two on Windows, I would have said it wasn't ready for prime time, but they have gotten much better with bluetooth support, particularly with Windows 7, although even Windows XP SP3 has pretty good support these days, with the caveat that one guy had bluetooth on a 64-bit system running WinXP and it caused BSDs.

telecomguy9

Thanks for all the info lewmur and LilBambi. It's very helpful. Here's a link to what I'm thinking about putting in that conference room - Logitech diNovo Edge. It checked it out and it comes with Class 2 or version 2 Bluetooth. Hopefully that means we'll be good.Picture a long conference room with, of course, a long table. On one end of the room is a screen that drops down for the projector and on the other end of the room is the desktop PC inside some cabinets sitting on the floor. So someone would sit at the end of the table nearest the cabinets and with their back to the PC inside the cabinets, and blocking signal, they'd use the keyboard/mouse. So the Bluetooth signal would need to go through the cabinet door and the person using the keyboard/mouse. The person sitting at the table using the setup would be literally inside of 3 feet of the PC and thus the USB Bluetooth adapter.Do you think this would work fine with Bluetooth technology? They currently use another Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard in there and it uses regular RF wireless technology and it's possible (we're just not certain) that the issues they're having are related to this older wireless technology and/or the hardware itself which is a couple years old (2-3 at least).Also, I like the USB extender cable. If needed we could certainly do that to get the Bluetooth adapter outside of the cabinet.

Guest LilBambi

That is a very nice one! And it should be at about $150+/- for it.But it's a bit big for folks to lug around during a conference isn't it? Or will they have a podium? If they have a podium that would be awesome!If they have to lug it around in lieu of a mousy pointer thing, maybe one of these would do from Amazon or elsewhere:Handheld Mini Bluetooth HID Wireless Chicklet Keyboard with Mouse Control Combo for Media Center PC, Windows 7/Vista/XP, Apple iPad & Sony PS3 (Amazon)It is also class 2 equivalent for 10 meters...that should be good for most conference rooms, no?Or if both scenarios are possible, maybe both?

telecomguy9

It is nice, you're right. You're right about the price, too. We have this one in a couple other conference rooms already and it works well. A podium is never used in this conference room so no worries there. The keyboard/mouse are always only sitting on the table. It's just moved from one seat to another for each meeting depending on who's showing what on the screen.