Recovery system / disk image question

marcos9999

marcos9999

Ok, Microsoft does not provide a system on a disk and what you have on your hard drive is what you have. Good move for them, so we get smart. I finally took time and created a disk image and a disk repair DVD. How do I actually use it in case my HD crash. I did a mock run but the first window which came up asked to choose from one of two methods: The Toshiba one or the system one. I didn't go beyond that point because my computer is running well and I don't want to create a problem. I still would like to know how to load the image in case I need because when I looked at the image I created it looks like it need an app to deal with. Thanks

Toshiba makes excellent recovery discs, but they're specific to your machine's model. They'll reset your machine to factory specs in less than an hour. They work well if you replace your hard drive too.

marcos9999
Toshiba makes excellent recovery discs, but they're specific to your machine's model. They'll reset your machine to factory specs in less than an hour. They work well if you replace your hard drive too.
Thank you. I guess I am first interested in knowing how to use window's image (which I just created) to replace or restore my HD or system in case of failure. Should I use Thoshiba restore instead? Thanks

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Toshiba makes very nice system recovery disks, but like all system recovery disks, if you use them you lose your data on the system and all the work to get it where you are (installs, updates, personal data, etc.). It takes you back to that squeaky clean brand new condition.What you did by creating a system image (I presume on an external USB drive) in Windows 7, and a system repair DVD will allow you to restore your system to the date of the last system image creation (which includes any program installs, updates, personal data, etc.).And if you also set up a Backup under the same area, you can also then restore your data after the system image to get you back to today on your personal data.During creation of your backup schedule, be sure to include all Users as well as the 'Libraries' or you will get a rude surprise when you lose your Firefox bookmarks, Thunderbird mail, or any other items that are stored in the AppData area rather than the Documents, Pictures, Music, Video areas of your user account.NOTE: I allow it to backup every night overnight. I therefore uncheck the create system image every night along with the backup. I do that manually as often as I feel necessary, like just before a major set of updates, etc.How it works if/when you need to restore the system image is you boot to the System Repair DVD with the USB external drive attached that has the system image and backups. Choose that location for the restoration image. After it finishes restoring the system, and it's up and running, you will have your system back entirely to the day you made the system image...fully.Now all you have to go into the Backup and Restore area and restore data from the backup (again on the USB external hard drive) that might be newer than what was on the image.Hope that helps.It is quite seemless. I have done it several times and once on a Toshiba laptop. Very slick.

marcos9999
Yes, Toshiba makes very nice system recovery disks, but like all system recovery disks, if you use them you lose your data on the system and all the work to get it where you are (installs, updates, personal data, etc.). It takes you back to that squeaky clean brand new condition.What you did by creating a system image (I presume on an external USB drive) in Windows 7, and a system repair DVD will allow you to restore your system to the date of the last system image creation (which includes any program installs, updates, personal data, etc.).And if you also set up a Backup under the same area, you can also then restore your data after the system image to get you back to today on your personal data.During creation of your backup schedule, be sure to include all Users as well as the 'Libraries' or you will get a rude surprise when you lose your Firefox bookmarks, Thunderbird mail, or any other items that are stored in the AppData area rather than the Documents, Pictures, Music, Video areas of your user account.NOTE: I allow it to backup every night overnight. I therefore uncheck the create system image every night along with the backup. I do that manually as often as I feel necessary, like just before a major set of updates, etc.How it works if/when you need to restore the system image is you boot to the System Repair DVD with the USB external drive attached that has the system image and backups. Choose that location for the restoration image. After it finishes restoring the system, and it's up and running, you will have your system back entirely to the day you made the system image...fully.Now all you have to go into the Backup and Restore area and restore data from the backup (again on the USB external hard drive) that might be newer than what was on the image.Hope that helps.It is quite seemless. I have done it several times and once on a Toshiba laptop. Very slick.
Thank you so much!