Earthquake

siebkens

Whoa - we just had 2 earthquake tremors in Virginia! Dishes rattling, etc. Too bizarre. Hurricanes, floods, snowstorms, earthquakes?!? Are we trying to cover all of the weather possibilities?---------The shaken, not stirred Sieb :wacko:

Guest LilBambi

No, thanks Jeber! Our little town had their share of wildfires at the turn of the century, thank you very much! Wiped out the town from what I understand and it was pretty big in those days....forest, lumber mill and all.

Odd...... I did not feel anything.
That's because you're in the bunker - concrete & steel, no fine china to rattle! ;) Neither of my boys noticed it - 1 in the basement playing video games, the other at the school (concrete block). I was upstairs hanging around here at the forum (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum!) ;) & stuff started shakin'! I immediately yelled down to my youngest, demanding that whatever he was doing STOP IT NOW! Then I realized that this was a bit bigger than anything he could be causing! ;) Small on the scale of earthquakes in CA, but definitely enough to get our attention here!

Guest LilBambi

The whole house shook here ... came up through the floor and just shook and shook. We have a ladder in my computer area and it just kept shaking and making noise the whole time.I called down to Jim and asked him if he knew what that was and he said no it was just coming up from the ground.We assumed some sort of tremor. We've had sonic booms around here before, but this went on for alot longer than a quick shake from a sonic boom!Glad someone else felt it too.Did you notice it was the biggest block on the map? And did you notice ALL the little blue and yellow blocks and a couple red blocks in California for recent quakes?

All those little quakes in CA occur all the time. You can see clustering up in the SF Bay area but it has been a while since I felt anything myself. Although what is strange is that I had a dream last evening about an 8.9 quake occurring. :devil: From the AP report:

While quakes are more common in the West they do occur in Eastern states from time to time.The largest quake in Virginia history took place in Giles County in 1897. It was felt from Georgia to Pennsylvania, some older brick houses were cracked and bricks were thrown from chimneys in the area from Pulaski to Roanoke.On Feb. 21, 1774, a strong earthquake was felt over much of Virginia and southward into North Carolina. Many houses were moved partly off their foundations at Petersburg and Blandford.More recently, parts of southwestern Virginia were shaken in 1959.

While I was living in Idaho (so we're talking the late 80's) we had a quake, which happens there once a century or so. Two children walking by an old brick building were killed by falling bricks, the only fatalities. I'm sure no one ever thought to tell them how to be safe in an earthquake...in Idaho. Might as well warn them of the dangers of a tidal wave. But most of those kids know how to avoid an avalanche. Fran, Julia...just don't go sending us your hurricanes.

Don't worry Jeber, hurricane season is about officially over for the year. Saw the title of the thread and thought I was coming to read about your adventures, not things just north of here. Spent the day in a concrete, hurricane proof building. Did not feel a thing but doubt I would have anyway!

hurricane season is about officially over for the year
Tell Mother Nature about that, would you? I've noticed lately she hasn't been exactly playing by the rules!

Guest LilBambi

You are right Jeber! She's not playing by the normal rules ... she's going by some bigger, cosmic rules I guess.It's not the first time we in Virginia have had quakes though as you will see from this article:Virginian Pilot: Earthquake of 4.5 magnitude rumbles across VirginiaThis one was very shallow and not felt very far by comparison to the one in 1774 and 1897!

While quakes are more common in the West they do occur in Eastern states from time to time. This one occurred in the central Virginia seismic zone, a region where quakes have occurred in the past. The largest quake in Virginia history took place in Giles County in 1897. It was felt from Georgia to Pennsylvania, some older brick houses were cracked and bricks were thrown from chimneys in the area from Pulaski to Roanoke. On Feb. 21, 1774, a strong earthquake was felt over much of Virginia and southward into North Carolina. Many houses were moved partly off their foundations at Petersburg and Blandford. More recently, parts of southwestern Virginia were shaken in 1959.