Windows Live - can't find the source.... [Solved]

Tushman

I've been trying to get rid of the Windows Live crap that has inserted itself into the IE v8 context menu. It is more or less required for certain MS games such as Batman Arkham Asylum - otherwise I would have never bothered with it in the first place.Specifically I am trying to get rid of these entries from the context menu:1) Blog with Windows Live2) Email with Windows Live3) Translate with BingI've looked in the usual places in the registry such as:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExtI could find no traces. I also tried getting rid of it with Win Patrol, (IE helpers helpers) - no luck. I rarely ever use Internet Explorer, nonetheless it's very perplexing where these entries are coming from. I've dealt the Windows XP registry quite heavily in the past, I'm starting to think that a dll file is responsible for this.Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by Corrine
[Solved]

Guest LilBambi

Is this only in the context menu on IE8?You can always disable each of them in the Addons area, just show all the Addons and highlight the ones you wish to disable.But wouldn't it be easier to go into Add and Remove Programs or Remove Programs in Windows 7, and go down to Windows Live Essentials and click remove? A box will come up asking you what you want to remove of the suite. The following link gives you images of the process to remove selected items from Windows Live Essentials:How to uninstall Windows Live Essentials

Is this only in the context menu on IE8?You can always disable each of them in the Addons area, just show all the Addons and highlight the ones you wish to disable.But wouldn't it be easier to go into Add and Remove Programs or Remove Programs in Windows 7, and go down to Windows Live Essentials and click remove? A box will come up asking you what you want to remove of the suite. The following link gives you images of the process to remove selected items from Windows Live Essentials:How to uninstall Windows Live Essentials
I wish I could take the easy approach and just un-install it. However, it is more or less required for a couple of games that I have. (Batmany Arkham Asylum & Gears of War). Also, I've tried to disable the Windows Live addon but if I do that, then I am not able to save any games in the titles that just mentioned so that's no good either. And yes, it's just the context menu for IE only.Zlim,I'm talking about the menu when you right-click on a webpage in internet explorer.

I'm talking about the menu when you right-click on a webpage in internet explorer.
Thanks. Since I've never right clicked on a webpage in IE, I guess I've never seen the context menu.I use IE to update windows; that's about the only time I fire it up.

Guest LilBambi
How To Clean Up The Context Menu In Internet Explorer 8 (AddictiveTips)One of the items on that page is How To Remove Menu Extensions from the Registry (be sure to backup the registry before doing this!). See the page above for instructions.
And here is the quick tip from Miladin who is a developer in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 8 team,Only those accelerators marked as “default” appear as the top level menu entries. This is meant for Accelerators that you use very often. All others can be accessed through the “More Accelerators” submenu so they really don’t take any space. So for Accelerators that you don’t use often but will still need from time to time – go to Manage Add-ons and rather than disabling simply select “Remove as Default”.
There is another way apparently using a program called ToolbarCop (from a MS MVP site). Looks like it was last updated in 2005 so I don't know if it works with Windows 7.

How To Clean Up The Context Menu In Internet Explorer 8 (AddictiveTips)One of the items on that page is How To Remove Menu Extensions from the Registry (be sure to backup the registry before doing this!). See the page above for instructions.
Bambi, As I stated in my original post, I've already looked through the registry and specifically in that key that handles the extensions. There's nothing there related to Windows Live.
There is another way apparently using a program called ToolbarCop (from a MS MVP site). Looks like it was last updated in 2005 so I don't know if it works with Windows 7.
I've seen that one as well and I'm a little trepid about installing a rather old program especially considering that Vista & Internet Explorer v8 weren't even around at the time the software was released. On the other hand, I use Acronis True Image so I could simply try it out and restore the systems if I run into any adverse effects.

Guest LilBambi

Good luck with it!You could also not worry about the context menu items since they obviously are related to the very things you need to keep for your games.

Good luck with it!You could also not worry about the context menu items since they obviously are related to the very things you need to keep for your games.
I'm not at all worried but rather perplexed a little bit bothered because for one, I do everything I can to maintain a lean & clean system. The fact that this little buggar as inserted itself into the context menu without any kinda of warning or choice to remove it is... well, let's just say it offends my good sensibilities. #2. I've dealt extensively with the Windows XP registry before and it's so perplexing why I can't find any traces of this in the registry. I know that there's lots of changes made in Win 7 but the basic structure of the registry is still the same and I'm baffled on where it's coming from.Like I said at the very top, I wouldn't even bothered with this crud if it wasn't for the two games that require it. It's bad enough that I have to have it on my system, it's entrenched itself into IE! :hysterical: :rolleyes: :pirate: Edited by Tushman

Hello,As LilBambi noted, they can be disabled via the following steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer.
  2. Select Tools → Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog.
  3. Click on the Programs tab, then click on the Manage Add-ons button to open the Manage Add-ons dialog.
  4. In the left navigation pane, select Accelerators.
  5. In the right navigation pane, right-click on each accelerator you wish to disable and select Disable from the context menu that pops up.

When you are finished close the dialogs. The accelerators should now be gone.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Something in Bambi's post made me realize that this isn't a "add-on" problem but rather "accelerators". Up until now, I've always assumed that these two were basically the same. Which is why I didn't realize that there were 2 places to look in the IE addons menu.ittoolsaccelerator.pngI would have never thought to look in the accelerators section. Mr. Right click here, was so focused on this being an "add-on" issue that I didn't see there was a submenu for accelerators either. Just goes to show you that something so simple can be very elusive.manageacceleratorsubmenu90p.pngBut it was ultimately Bambi's quote above that led to this realization that according to Microsoft, add-ons & accelerators are NOT the same!Thanks guys - another problem solved thanks to SNF!BTW, if anyone cares to know where this sucker is buried in the registry it's here.HKU\{SID}\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Activities\Blog\live.comNote: The SID is likely not going to be the same for your system. Look for it under the HKU hive. It will have the following format:S-1-1-11-1111111111-1111111111-11111111111-1111================================================Could a moderator please mark this thread as solved? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tushman

Could a moderator please mark this thread as solved? Thanks in advance.
Certainly. I edited to title to add "Solved".

Certainly. I edited to title to add "Solved".
Thanks Corrine.Hey yo Bambi - muchas gracias for providing that quote from Miladin. Otherwise, I might not have never bothered to look in the accelerators menu! :)