Which OS

RichardKR

OK, folks. I've been reading about OS's for all the years they have existed and can't make a decision.Here's what I want. I want to install it now and have it only do updates for actual improvements without me jumping through hoops, and most definitely not change my user interface. I don't want to be involved in the endless beta testing of neat, new, cool stuff that goes by the name of "Upgrade".Windows has lots of apps. That's pretty critical since I actually use the computer to get stuff done.Linux has lots of security and besides it gives me a warm fuzzy.However,Windows is a pig on resources and besides I don't trust them.Linux needs a support person somewhere handy (like Scot's Newsletter!) However,Windows doesn't change the way I work when it updates.Linux updates all my software too!However,Windows up-grades are major problems and you get to pay for it (serious bucks).Linux won't run my apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hardware compatibility. (don't want to throw away my scanner for a lack of driver)So, I fool around installing various Linux distros and loving most of them until I can't do what I need. Then I remove them and screw up my MBR and have to use my disk imaging tool to restore it, or my Windows XP install disk to repair it. Then it's back to Windows only to find out that MS is doubling down on trying to get me to upgrade to Windows 7. I hate that.Other things I hate: :thumbup: Grub 2Windows bloatLearning curve with Linux apps that are only fair anyway.This constant weird desire to install Linux.Dual-bootJust a Saturday rant. I get these rants more as I get older. I wonder if there is a connection? :hysterical: Did I mention that "THEY" need to leave my user interface alone?

Looks like you might get along with Debian. Stable and long term between major updates.http://www.debian.org/Or a live GNU/linux like Macpup. Pretty and fast.Will not interfer with your windows but it might chew the table legs.http://macpup.org/ :whistling:This might help to get the scanner working in GNU/Linux,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDISwrapper :thumbup:

Edited by abarbarian

Just a Saturday rant. I get these rants more as I get older. I wonder if there is a connection? :thumbup: Did I mention that "THEY" need to leave my user interface alone?
Yeah I used to think when I was a young kid I would never grow old & cranky. But I'm finding that people and various things will set definitely get my goat in a twisty. I could go on & on about my pet peeves. So yes, (in part) I can empathize with you about your desire to see things remain a little more consistent.HOWEVER...... let me just say something to you that will give you some pause and food for thought.Technology never stays the same. Did I mention that we're dealing with technology here??What is true today may or may not hold true 3 years down the road from now. That adage holds true for operating systems. If you want something that will stay relatively the same & not change too much, learn to use a typewriter. Otherwise, just accept it & move on. Learning to adjust and adapt will probably do your blood pressure more good.By the way, I don't know what current flavor of windows you're running, but I've been using Win 7 64-bit for about the past 8 months. "resource" pig issues aside, I find that it is not only the most elegant OS to date, but the most productive.3rd OS? Yes...you could always go "Mac" & never look back. haha... Edited by Tushman

I've been reading about OS's for all the years they have existed and can't make a decision.
Why do you feel you need to pick one or the other?My husband and I both have fully functioning windows 2000 computers that we use to do what we've always done on them. He works, I play games :lol:We also have Windows XP computers. So far, he doesn't do much work on it. It has WordPerfect 11 suite and he used used to WordPerfect 7. But he does stream Netflix on it.I have a netbook running linux which I take on trips, long and short. It affords me safe surfing and a bigger screen than an mp4 player or phone to watch movies from a micro sdhc card.Now the distro on my netbook is old (Debian etch) and I prefer not to wipe it because it works for what I bought the netbook for. But I also have modern distros on a USB stick, should I feel that I'm no longer safe going on the internet with Xandros/etch.I will buy a laptop running windows 7 but I have no intention of ignoring the computers we have. I'll use them until they die.