Issue mounting CD in Arch

ichase

Greetings all. I attempted to mount a CD last night on my build computer so that I could import my favorites from IE at work to FF. I went into my fstab and uncommented /dev/cdromI then created a folder in /media called cd # mkdir /media/cd. This was based on the fact that fstab showed the mount folder as /media/cdI then tried to mount the CD in terminal

[ichase@ichase ~/]$ mount /dev/cdrom /media/cd

This came back with the following error"

[ichase@ichase ~/]$ mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdmount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'

I have Arch installed on my lappy and this is exactly how I was able to mount a CD with no problem. Now I don't have to issue the mount command, it automagically mounts to /media/cd once I put the CD in based on my fstab.As always, your guidance is most appreciated. :)Hope everyone is having a good start to your Friday!!All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

I forgot to mention it before, I did look this up and tried:

$ mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cd

With no success.Also, this is what my fstab shows in case anyone needed to see it.

/dev/cdrom			 /media/cd   auto	ro,user,noauto,unhide		0	  0# /dev/dvd			 /media/dvd  auto	ro,user,noauto,unhide		 0	  0# /dev/fd0				/media/fl   auto	user,noauto		0	  0

Ian

Edited by ichase

Have you tried mounting as root since user does not have mount permissions?
Yes, I did try as root with the same result. But I thought if the fstab shows "user" in the options section that user could mount the CD?What if I change "auto" to "iso9660" in my fstab? Think that would help. From what I read iso9669 is a standard:
Definition for iso 9660:ISO 9660, also referred to as CDFS (Compact Disc File System) by some hardware and software providers, is a file system standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for optical disc media.
The part that is stumping me is that I have my lappy set up just like the desktop sans a few minor details that would have nothing to do with mounting CDs. :thumbup: Ian Edited by ichase

securitybreach

Well I do not know if it matters but my drives are always identified as /dev/sr0 on distros. As /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are just links to the actual device. For instance, I cannot mount using:

# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

but I can using:

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

Well I do not know if it matters but my drives are always identified as /dev/sr0 on distros. As /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are just links to the actual device. For instance, I cannot mount using:
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

but I can using:

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

Then why would the fstab not identify it as /dev/sr0 instead of /dev/cdrom? I am most certainly going to give this a try!! Now when you use:
mount /dev/sr0

is /mnt/cdrom the folder that you created for mounting CDs? And does your fstab show /mnt/cdrom as the location to mount the CD too?Sorry for so many questions, and I hope it does not come across as I am questioning your expertise, I just like to learn why something does what it does instead of being just happy that it did it. :hysterical:Thanks as always Josh!!Ian

securitybreach

Well /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are just symbolic links. As far as the other question, yes, /mnt/cdrom is just the folder where I mount discs. Also, no my fstab does not show any cd or dvd entries:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 12:03 PM ╚═══ ~-> cat /etc/fstab# /etc/fstab: static file system information.## <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>	   <dump>  <pass>devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	defaults	0	0#Entry for /dev/sdb2 :UUID=b1f5611b-f620-46b5-bc20-a318c28d3886	/	ext4	defaults	0	1#Entry for /dev/sda1 :UUID=cb0d6b0f-1c2a-46c8-99eb-bbe4e1bcb1b5	/MEDIA	ext4	defaults	0	1#Entry for /dev/sdc1 :UUID=3067b591-934e-4c73-a4a7-e5d9da6c267a	/backup	ext4	defaults	0	1#Entry for /dev/sdb3 :UUID=93723ccc-25e8-4483-ba61-dd8854528774	/home	ext4	defaults,user_xattr	0	1#Entry for /dev/sdb1 :UUID=F8685B2D685AE9C0	/media/windows	ntfs-3g	defaults,locale=en_US.utf8	0	0shm	/dev/shm	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0

NOTE: I spaced the entries out as to be able to read it better.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information## <file system>		<dir>		 <type>	<options>			<dump> <pass>devpts				 /dev/pts	  devpts	defaults				0	  0shm					/dev/shm	  tmpfs	 nodev,nosuid			0	  0/dev/sr0			 /media/sr0	 iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0	  0/dev/sr1			   /media/sr1	udf	   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0	  0/dev/sdf1			  /media/sdf1   ntfs	  ro,user,noauto,unhide   0	  0/dev/sdd			  /media/sdd	 ntfs	  ro,user,noauto,unhide	0	 0/dev/sdd1			  /media/sdd1	 ntfs	  ro,user,noauto,unhide	0	 0/dev/cdrom			/media/cdrom	iso9660	ro,user,noauto,unhideUUID=0b2f2d42-8ccd-4186-8141-36cf093cb93c swap swap defaults 0 0UUID=66225ceb-fc7f-45ea-81a1-b3d60af0d6ca /boot ext2 defaults 0 1UUID=ae77ac0a-7d2b-47d6-a813-c90914c046ed /home ext4 defaults 0 1UUID=b86ba870-ad49-4ed1-b0cd-ade6fdcf1771 / ext4 defaults 0 1

I think mine is different to securitybreach's as I have.https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autofsinstalled but not fully set up yet.I mount for example my external drive sdf1 by "mount /medai/sdf1 " :thumbup:

Looks like I might need to do some editing in my fstab. Plus I need to add my home directories of my other distros so that I can access them as well. :thumbup:

Well lets see.Don't forget I'm running E17 with a dodgy theme.So far I installed autofs and following the wiki I have done,https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autofs

Load the autofs4 module as root: # modprobe autofs4
Did no configuring at all and then did,
When you are done configuring, launch the AutoFS daemon as root: # /etc/rc.d/autofs start
To start the daemon on boot you can add autofs to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf, and autofs4 to the modules array in the same file.
It seems as though something has worked as I can now access my external drive without mounting via the cl. I have some icons on the desktop, cdrom, dvd, usb that I can acces data from. But if I open the file manager I can open cdrom,dvd, and sr0,sr1 and they contain nothing. the usb is showing content but is named by ui I think and the external ,sdf1 is showing content.So there you have it abarbarians set up that works in its own mysterious way :wacko: no change there then :thumbup: Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

OK, thanks for the feedback Abarbarian!!I think I will stick with the normal cli mounting or /etc/fstab entries.

V.T. Eric Layton

Arch doesn't run hal by default. Hal uses fstab. Arch runs udev by default instead. Udev automounts using different methods than hal. You may have to add the hal daemon to your rc.conf file. Make sure you add it after udev. More info from the Arch Wiki --> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL

What would be the difference between the desktop and the lappy on the same distro? Now I know one computer is different than another so it is a moot point. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Different hardware can often behave differently. I know that sounds like a "Duh!" statement, but it is important to know how hardware behaves in differing environments. Arch may be happy running udev and automounting on your lappy, but the same Arch might not like your desktop hardware for some reason. Hal is older than udev. For this reason, it usually is the more stable and usable for older hardware.

Well this just does not make any sense.

[root@ichase ichase]# mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdmount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'[root@ichase ichase]# modprobe iso9660FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.34-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or directory[root@ichase ichase]#

How else am I supposed to mount a CD??? I get the same thing if I use /dev/cdromHal is the 3rd Daemon on the list:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal @network !net-profiles netfs crond @alsa wicd)

Edited by ichase

Well it appears to be a moot point now because after doing a reboot, X crashed. Said I would not let it bother me and attended to boot into PCLOS E-17 to do updates. Well that was a failure as well because it hung on boot splash. Hit esc and it was going through all my USB ports and pointing to the optical mouse on each one????? I shut down and walked away. It was apparent that I was having a bad Linux day. :hysterical:Ian

securitybreach
Well it appears to be a moot point now because after doing a reboot, X crashed. Said I would not let it bother me and attended to boot into PCLOS E-17 to do updates. Well that was a failure as well because it hung on boot splash. Hit esc and it was going through all my USB ports and pointing to the optical mouse on each one????? I shut down and walked away. It was apparent that I was having a bad Linux day. :hysterical:Ian
Well lets just hope it is something simple and not hardware failing. The reason I say that is because two different distros are failing to boot.Also, is there anything you have changed recently as far as hardware or otherwise?

As far as hardware goes, nothing has changed. Same keyboard, same mouse. Only thing I have hooked up was that USB wifi receiver to get all my initial installs done. But once I was able to boot into OB, I installed wicd and it was able to recognize the internal wifi card. So can't see where anything has changed. Last week I was able to do all of my updates and DL a few programs from the repos. But I had been logged into Arch for about a week and a half before I rebooted this morning? Who knows?

securitybreach
As far as hardware goes, nothing has changed. Same keyboard, same mouse. Only thing I have hooked up was that USB wifi receiver to get all my initial installs done. But once I was able to boot into OB, I installed wicd and it was able to recognize the internal wifi card. So can't see where anything has changed. Last week I was able to do all of my updates and DL a few programs from the repos. But I had been logged into Arch for about a week and a half before I rebooted this morning? Who knows?
Well I am not for sure what happened but it is best to update a rolling distro at least every few days as it will break less.

I had an odd problem today when I woke up. I tried to log onto the net, but it failed. I looked at the Network Manager and discovered that it wasn't recognizing my AirCard. I poked at it for quite a while before I noticed that my 3TB hard drive was plugged into a USB port. Unplugged it and rebooted and everything came up without a hitch.Odd the things hardware does sometimes, isn't it? :hysterical:

Well, I decided I would try un-installing Xorg and then re-installing it. The remove (pacman -Rs) failed stating it could not find file or directory???? Tried installing Xorg which when I had issues in the past, would either install or in most cases update the current package installed. Said that Nvidia was in conflict and asked to delete. Figured I'm currently in CLI so my thought process was to select Y to delete and I could re-install after I get X back up and running. Well, that did not work and selecting N did not work either. Now I do recall when I did the initial install of Arch on this computer I installed the Nvidia package and then ran nvidia-xconfig and it failed. When I had OB up and running my graphics looked great so figured it was not a problem.At this point, I am thinking about reformatting the partition and re-installing Arch. I did not have anything saved on it yet so not like I am loosing anything important in my home directory. I had not even got OB completely set up at the point of failure. Also, I think my CD drive may have gone bad which could have been the issue with not being able to mount the CD. I attempted to run my GParted CD this morning and there was multiple failures and it would not run. Pretty sure I have another one of those hanging around the house amidst all of my spare parts. :thumbsup:Now I have been installing with an ISO from December of last year. Does Arch update the ISOs frequently? If so, I am thinking it may be wise to DL an updated ISO and install with that. I do notice in the mirror site that the ISO still shows a date of 18 November 2010 which is the ISO I currently have on disk (Arch Linux 2010.5).Opinions are ALWAYS welcomed. :)All the best and hope everyone had a great weekend!!Ian

Edited by ichase

Now I have been installing with an ISO from December of last year. Does Arch update the ISOs frequently? If so, I am thinking it may be wise to DL an updated ISO and install with that. I do notice in the mirror site that the ISO still shows a date of 18 November 2010 which is the ISO I currently have on disk (Arch Linux 2010.5).
Actually I found the answer to this question. I already knew the answer. It does not matter because Arch is a rolling release so once the basic install is complete, I run updates and it's updated to current date. ;)Figured I would save someone the typing. :thumbsup:Ian Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Actually I found the answer to this question. I already knew the answer. It does not matter because Arch is a rolling release so once the basic install is complete, I run updates and it's updated to current date. ;)Figured I would save someone the typing. :thumbsup:Ian
Pretty much any version will do fine, you will just have more updates to apply. The latest 'official' snapshot was in May but you can download daily builds which are just a snapshot of yesterday's updates to Core (iso). Just scroll down and pick your mirror from the list on http://www.archlinux.org/download/ and open the "latest" folder and you can download the previous day's updated iso.That way you do not have to apply a ton of updates including a new kernel. It is much easier to boot into the current iso and have the latest kernel without having to download and reboot in order to start 'building'.

Pretty much any version will do fine, you will just have more updates to apply. The latest 'official' snapshot was in May but you can download daily builds which are just a snapshot of yesterday's updates to Core (iso). Just scroll down and pick your mirror from the list on http://www.archlinux.org/download/ and open the "latest" folder and you can download the previous day's updated iso.That way you do not have to apply a ton of updates including a new kernel. It is much easier to boot into the current iso and have the latest kernel without having to download and reboot in order to start 'building'.
Great tip Josh. Downloaded and burning image to CD as I type this. ;)

@ ichase ... what I do here when automounting fails#mkdir mountpoint#mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 mountpointIf it's a good cd/dvd that should work, regardless of udev/hal. Obviously, correct my 'sr0' to the real name of your device. I find little use for automounting of opticals -- that usually winds up being some created name like /media/disk_1 or such, and none of the other programs I'd use to access it can then find it without further help, which is likely to take more time than just manually mounting the disk where I'd like it to be.

@ ichase ... what I do here when automounting fails#mkdir mountpoint#mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 mountpointIf it's a good cd/dvd that should work, regardless of udev/hal. Obviously, correct my 'sr0' to the real name of your device. I find little use for automounting of opticals -- that usually winds up being some created name like /media/disk_1 or such, and none of the other programs I'd use to access it can then find it without further help, which is likely to take more time than just manually mounting the disk where I'd like it to be.
burninbush, thanks for the great advice. Will definitely be adding this to my "linux notes" document. :thumbsup:All the best,Ian