Your Favorite Recovery Software

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Frank, I downloaded Clonezilla last night, finally. Now I just need to learn how to use it. ;)=====Anyway, folks... Have a fav recovery application? Tell us about it. :)

That's my problem. I tried Clonezilla but just couldn't get it to do what I wanted. Yes Frank, I followed your directions. And I'm CERTAIN that the problem is my own idiocy rather than any fault of Clonezilla. Maybe now that I've gotten a bit more experience I'll give it another shot. I should be able to interpret those directions with a bit more awareness now!

Acronis True Image. I have several older versions which I managed to get free from some UK magazine site. Then Acronis offered me a cheap deal to update so I grabbed that too. I must have 4 different versions of the software.Not all versions are equal so if something works, I stick with it and do not constantly upgrade or buy a new version.TI has saved my bacon quite a few times.

What Liz said. But I (and Liz too) use it only off the boot CD, not the installed program that claims it can image while Windows is running.Previously my favorite was Powerquest's Drive Image 2002. It was only this year that I finally moved on to Acronis as my primary image app. Before v13, called "True Image Home 2010", I had problems with certain versions on some machines. This version works on all machines.

Frank, I downloaded Clonezilla last night, finally. Now I just need to learn how to use it. :thumbsup:=====Anyway, folks... Have a fav recovery application? Tell us about it. :thumbsup:
Norton Ghost was my favorite since the Win98 days. Sometime back in 2001 or so, I got introduced to Acronis True Image and it is what I use today. Acronis has had some misses and some hits with their True Image product over the years. I can tell you from personal experience that nearly every version has some "issues". To their credit, I think they've made some vast improvements to their 2010 and 2011 versions. (version 2010 is what I'm using on Win7 64-bit.)Just to expand briefly on my comment above, time to reimage a 32 GB OS partition is roughly 5 1/2 min. Takes a mere 5 mins to restore it. In this regard, it is noticeably faster compared to previous versions. There are also several features included (such as "Acronis Drive Cleanser" which gives you the ability to erase a HDD 5 different algorithms included). Just about every feature I've tried has worked flawlessly without disappointment.For alternatives:I have heard some excellent things about O&O Disk Image from another user on a forum - seems it is very comparable to True Image. There's probably a few thing it does better than True Image & visa versa. Edited by Tushman

Acronis True Image. I have several older versions which I managed to get free from some UK magazine site. Then Acronis offered me a cheap deal to update so I grabbed that too. I must have 4 different versions of the software.Not all versions are equal so if something works, I stick with it and do not constantly upgrade or buy a new version.TI has saved my bacon quite a few times.
If you ever decide to upgrade to Windows 7, you will need version 2010 or 2011 as previous versions are not compatible with it.Just an FYI fer ya.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I had the opportunity to use Norton Ghost quite a few times back in the day. I think I still even have a copy around here somewhere. :thumbsup:

[quote name='zlim' post='321477' date='Mar 27 2011, 02:35 AM']Acronis True Image. I have several older versions which I managed to get free from some UK magazine site. Then Acronis offered me a cheap deal to update so I grabbed that too. I must have 4 different versions of the software.Not all versions are equal so if something works, I stick with it and do not constantly upgrade or buy a new version.TI has saved my bacon quite a few times.[/quote]zlim, I'm with you on this. Acronis for me every time.Like you, its saved my bacon many many times.