Firefox 4 final out today

Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Firefox 4 Final hit's the streets today March 22, 2011.http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/The John Haller's Portable (standalone) version is available here.http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portableI personally use the portable version.I have it "installed" on a separate partition.The "final" today comes after a second RC that was released on last Friday Mar 18, 2011.Actually since the build number of the final and RC2 are the same it's likely the final released today is in factexactly the same as the RC released Friday.Both releases have the following build # 20110318052756The number indicates that the build was approved on 20110318052756March 18 2011.

I have it pretty much set up the way I want to use it: tabs under my toolbar, menus showing, home icon moved from the far right to left near stop and refresh, status bar installed and no script put in status bar.The one thing I'm really missing is the padlock. I depended on that to tell me if a site was secure or not.What takes the place of this or where am I supposed to look to determine if a site is secure? hmmm, I'm opening new tabs to secure and insecure sites and I think I have it narrowed down. If a site is secure, I get a pretty large icon rather than just a favicon in front of the site. When I hover my mouse over the large rectangle, I get a verified by and the company that did the verifying.

The one thing I'm really missing is the padlock. I depended on that to tell me if a site was secure or not.What takes the place of this or where am I supposed to look to determine if a site is secure? hmmm, I'm opening new tabs to secure and insecure sites and I think I have it narrowed down. If a site is secure, I get a pretty large icon rather than just a favicon in front of the site. When I hover my mouse over the large rectangle, I get a verified by and the company that did the verifying.
You got it, secure sites have a colored box around them that shows the actual domain name of the site you're on (or who runs it):k94kI.pngAnd another example,j41ni.pngI don't know the actual difference between a blue or green box, but it seems to me that green boxes have the "which is run by:" info filled out (PayPal's says it's run by "PayPal Inc" while Gmail's says it's run by "unknown")You can get more info, too:CYk2s.pngYou can actually get that information for any site, not just secure ones. Click on the favicon!

Frank Golden
You got it, secure sites have a colored box around them that shows the actual domain name of the site you're on (or who runs it):k94kI.pngAnd another example,j41ni.pngI don't know the actual difference between a blue or green box, but it seems to me that green boxes have the "which is run by:" info filled out (PayPal's says it's run by "PayPal Inc" while Gmail's says it's run by "unknown")You can get more info, too:CYk2s.pngYou can actually get that information for any site, not just secure ones. Click on the favicon!
Never noticed any of that before, thanks Steeler and Liz.BTW, notice the Verified by: Thawte Consulting in Steelers screenshot.A little trivia Thawte was created by South African Mark Shuttleworth who sold it to Verisign for about 600 million dollars.After spending some of his fortune on a 8 day trip to the ISS he founded Canonical, Inc and is the driving force behind Ubuntu.I guess you could say Mark is the "Bill Gates" of the open source movement.Unlike many other linux projects that depend on a largely unpaid group of volunteers Ubuntu employs many well paid developers. Edited by Frank Golden

That's pretty cool, Neil. Chrome has some neat info too, both from clicking the favicon and from selecting View Background Pages under the Wrench. I like the FF4 presentation better though

hmm, how can i put this?

1. i HATE the new ui. or
  2. i LOATHE the new ui

The rendering does seem faster than in 3.6, so I'll check in a couple of weeks to see if someone developed a theme that wasn't so freaking hard to use and in the way.a couple of examples: o:) why is the Stop button so hard to get to? It should be very easy to get to, after all I want to STOP. ;) what is the deal with the hovering the mouse over a link showing the link address in an obaque box in a place where it is overlaying text ? just show it in the statusbar on the bottom (or top).

crp,The toolbar buttons can be re-arranged to your liking. If I recall, the stop button is part of the address bar, but it can be "pulled out" if you customize your toolbar buttons.The status bar is not a permanent thing anymore. There is at least one extension that ill make the statusbar permanent if you like. I am not sure if that will move the link info back down or not.Aside from rearrangement he toolbar a bit and moving tabs back to their normal place, I am a happy camper. I really like the rendering speed. :)Adam

:wacko: why is the Stop button so hard to get to? It should be very easy to get to, after all I want to STOP.
R-click anywhere on your toolbar. Choose 'Customize'. Place a separator of some type where the arrow is as shown in the screenshot. Then you will have two separate buttons.stopbutton.pngLike Adam, I had to adjust a few things to my liking but I'm finally used to the new look of version 4. The fast speed is quite addictive. Edited by Tushman

I missed the down arrow between the forward and back arrows. Today I finally discovered that if I right click the back arrow, I get a list of pages to go back to.Eventually I'll have this figured out; just in time for version 5 <sigh>. I'm getting too old to try and re-learn my browser every 6 weeks. I hope Mozilla doesn't make too many changes when they update the browser every 6 weeks!

Here's an informative video on the "tabs on top" default of Firefox 4: http://mashable.com/2010/06/25/firefox-4-tabs/ It's from June of last year, but the concepts are still the same. And the guy talks way too fast (in my opinion at least). I like tabs on top, but I never really knew why.
Holy cripes - that guy talks way too fast. It's a good thing he speaks clearly otherwise his video would not be worth my time watching. I personally prefer tabs on top - it's a good change Fx has made.