Windows 7 - setting program defaults

crp

How can I set the default email program to NULL/nothing ?Out of the box , that seems to be the default but I can not see how to get it back to that state even after I uninstalled an email program.

• 2 weeks later...
How can I set the default email program to NULL/nothing ?Out of the box , that seems to be the default but I can not see how to get it back to that state even after I uninstalled an email program.
Windows Live Mail should be the default program for Windows 7 operating systems. If the 3rd party app did not uninstall itself fully, then you might have to edit the registry by hand. I've never run into this problem before on a Win 7 system so I can't say for sure. For starters, why don't you click on:Start | All Programs > Default Programs > Set Default programs.This will give you some indication as to what program is set to default within the registry. Edited by Tushman

Windows 7 does not include an email program. That's perhaps why his was set to null.I guess the trick is to not install any email program.

Windows 7 does not include an email program. That's perhaps why his was set to null.I guess the trick is to not install any email program.
I'm not so sure about that. Windows Live Mail is included on some computers by default.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...or-windows-mail------------------------------------------------Crp, see if this link is of any use to you.http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html Edited by Tushman

Just to expand on my previous comment, there may be some XP users who are led to believe there's no default program for Windows 7 due to the absence of Outlook Express.Outlook Express is being phased out. When Vista was released, Microsoft included "Windows Mail" - which is the e-mail client program that replaced OE. Since the release of Windows 7, "Windows Mail" has been replaced with "Windows Live Mail". Microsoft is trying to focus the user web experience by rolling several suites into one called "Windows Live Essentials" and "Windows Live Mail" is just one part of it. You can download Windows Live Essentials here. Although I've never had a need to do so, it seems possible you can download just the mail component separately. Edited by Tushman

I thought I posted my resolution to the matter but evidently not.anyway, i went into the registry found the reference to the email client and deleted the key.Yes, it gave me dire warnings about deleting the key, but I knew it was NULL when I started using Win7 (it was an upgrade over XP btw) and I am now back to where I was before as far as the email goes :hysterical: