Uninstalled IE9

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

I uninstalled IE9 (RTW) today. I kept getting a "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and will restart" type of message when I visited various sites. I couldn't track the cause of it, so I uninstalled it for now. IE8 is working fine however. I'll wait and see what happens when Windows Update offers me the upgrade.

NICK ADSL UK

Hi james :hysterical: I think you mean RTM ? it does have a few quirks but i am unaware of that one but will keep an eye out for you what sites anything specific ?

James M. Fisher
Hi james :hysterical: I think you mean RTM ? it does have a few quirks but i am unaware of that one but will keep an eye out for you what sites anything specific ?
RTW= released to web :hysterical: It was actually acting up on my site and a couple of others that I cannot recall at the moment.

V.T. Eric Layton

In my experience, when IE gives that crash error on a webpage, it's because of poorly written scripting of some type.

Frank Golden
In my experience, when IE gives that crash error on a webpage, it's because of poorly written scripting of some type.
Or a bum addon.I'm not a heavy IE user but the only issue I had with IE9 was during beta when a Spybot Search & Destroy realtime addonacted up giving the same crash message.Since I really don't need the protection provided by that addon (I run IE and all my internet facing apps in Sandboxie Pro)I simply disabled that addon and the problem disappeared.I haven't tried it in the final (or RTW if you will) but I might just to see it got fixed.

NICK ADSL UK
RTW= released to web :yes: It was actually acting up on my site and a couple of others that I cannot recall at the moment.
your website is fine James my end so am still unsure of what is going on

Hello,I have not seen that error, but the computer I did install IE9 on had trouble rendering a variety of web sites, even with toggling compatibility mode on. Fortunately, Mozilla Firefox renders them correctly, so the issue is now one of which web browsers I run at which time to view which sites. :)Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

James M. Fisher

I'm wondering if it might be a Roboform-related issue. It would be the only add-on of a third-party nature I have. I'll have to try IE9 again sometime.UPDATE: I reinstalled IE9 again, and the error message immediately popped up when loading the MSN start page. I disabled all add-ons (except for MS ones) and the error still happens! Hmmm... :lol: UPDATE #2 I disabled the ShockwaveFlash Object add on and all is fine now, so it seems.

Edited by James M. Fisher

Guest LilBambi

Both 32-bit and 64-bit are installed with IE9, maybe try running the non-64-bit version and see if that helps?Even with the Flash update, Flash is not the only issue, apparently some scripting issues remain.

James M. Fisher

Well, I went back to IE8 for the time being. I tried ununstalling Shockwave, then reinstalling it, all to no avail. Likely Fran, as you say, there is some other software/add-on that is causing this behaviour. Not a big deal, and perhaps the next time I attempt a clean install.... :hysterical:

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, I have seen too many people complaining about using the 64-bit version of IE9 and crashes, etc.Five Reasons not to “Upgrade” to Windows’ Internet Explorer 9 (ZDNet)

...3. The 64-bit version of IE 9 is second-rate.Of course, when I say that IE 9 is faster, I’m talking about the 32-bit version. The 64-bit model is a dog. It’s several times slower than all the other browsers when it comes to JavaScript....The far better question that those who bleed Microsoft blue should be asking is: “Why is Microsoft deliberately insisting that their 64-bit users install a second-rate version of their own flagship Web browser?” Wouldn’t it make more sense to do what all the other Web browser developers do and make the 64-bit version an experimental, optional download? That way there would be no chance of any confusion and they could be sure that every IE 9 user would get the best possible experience. It seems pretty simple to me.
And Woody over at WindowsSecrets.com says,
Woody's Windows, March 24, 2011Internet Explorer 9's nagging 64-bit woesBy Woody Leonhard64-bit computing is now mainstream, but the world's most commonly used browser, Internet Explorer, didn't get the memo.You now have a 64-bit system and are running a 64-bit OS, but that doesn't mean you want to run 64-bit IE 9. Here's why.
Of course, you have to be a subscriber to read the rest...

James M. Fisher

I determined the cause of my problems was the NVIDIA graphics driver. My Lenovo laptop has the Optimus feature that will switch between onboard graphics and discrete graphics depending on the need (gaming and graphics-intense apps). I went into the BIOS and turned off this feature and now I am strictly using the onboard HD graphics, which is fie for me. No IE9 crashes!At some point I will try and update the drivers (so far nothing from Lenovo is available) and see if that rectifies the issue. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

As long as your needs don't include the highly intensive games and graphics/video manipulation programs like CAD, movie editing, etc., should work well for you till they finally get an upgrade.Have you looked into the generic nVidia driver that supports your card...if it supports your card that is?Great work there James! :thumbsup:

James M. Fisher

I visited NVIDIA's driver page, just to ascertain if my drivers were out of date. There is a new version for both the discrete and onboard HD card, but I think I will wait and see what Lenovo Update offers next. :thumbsup:

James M. Fisher
What ever happened to: If it works, tweak it 'till it breaks - THEN fix it! :)
That used to be my philosophy, or at least my MO (modus operandi). :P Age got the better of me. LOL