Installfest - March 2011

V.T. Eric Layton

I was thinking of deleting those partitions and repartitioning to see if they are somehow the problem.I would prefer to remove the entire partition table and repartition the entire drive, but you might not want to since you already have some stuff set up.Maybe a good time to put Clonezilla to work for you, then GParted to wipe the entire drive back to factory new.

V.T. Eric Layton

*sigh* I just set that entire drive up from scratch just a week or so ago. It has 0 bad sectors. I've run diagnostics on it. It's functioning fine. Just to check and see, though, I'm going to install CentOS on the next set of partitions today sometime to see if it works there. We'll see...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, sad to say... the installfest is rained out. I tried to install Foresight on the next available slots and it froze up in the same spot during boot up. I then tried to install Sabayon... anywhere. Couldn't even get their Live CD to run properly.

vtel57_getting-nowhere:~$ mv sabayon_cd centos_dvd foresight_dvd /dev/null

CentOS, Foresight, and now Sabayon will not install.I'm starting to think my first inclination was right.Something terribly wrong with the partition table or the device itself.One last thing I would try before totally hosing that drive and starting from scratch. Can you install any of these trouble distros to any other computer using the media you are currently. Not likely, but maybe your burner has gone cold.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't have any space on any of my other systems at the moment. I think I might try to install Slackware (from my known good DVD) onto this drive in question and see what happens. Not tonight, though. I'm off to bed... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

OK, a little update...I was getting cabin fever sitting in the house today, so I came out to the shop to tinker a bit. I added a 120Gig drive to ericsshop02 to play with some tester Linux installs. I cfdisk'd the drive and created 4 tester slots on it.I tried installing Debian first. No joy. Not only did the install take over an hour, but the system would not boot to X or a command line. It just froze and sat there looking stupid. This is my second download, second burn, 3rd time installing on two completely different machines with the same results. I give up. I'll wait till Debian 7.0 comes out a couple years from now.I then tried installing Foresight. No joy there either. It will boot to the command line, but no X. When I startx, it locks up. This is also the second download, second burn, third installation on two totally different machines. Same issues every time. I'm going to have to give up on Foresight for a while, too.There ya' have it...

V.T. Eric Layton

No. On my installs the first two times I used GRUB. For these installs I was booting with LILO. GRUB or LILO on totally different systems -- same issues. Enough gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. I'm done with these two distributions for a while.

Enough gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. I'm done with these two distributions for a while.
The computer Gods are trying to tell you something. ;)
Go to the light Marry Anne.......Oh sorry, wrong message.......Ahh here we go. Leave those distros alone Eric, they will only cause you misery
;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I just downloaded Aptosid, Salix, and Frugalware to play with. That should keep me busy for a bit. I'm even thinking about installing Frugalware with the new Gnome3. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

LFS is actually on my agenda for some day. I don't have the time (well, I do... but don't wanna') for it at the moment.

If I had the time (IE not married and living by myself) I would definitely want to give that a try. That is definitely got to be a good way to learn Linux. ;)

AWwwwwwww Eric MOI CRUSHED ;) Phoenix never did perform for me - can't remember which computers - although amd considering a distro with K3b in it tooCheers for YearsColin ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Colin... been a while since I ran PCLOS. I might install it and Mandriva again some day soon. Ya' just never know...@ Ian... I'm sure there are some benefits to that wedded bliss stuff. I've never tried it myself. I'm more of the

type. ;)

Surprise Surprise Surprise :w00t: Eric2011.05 PCLinuxOS RC1 livecd ACTUALLY loaded on my problem Intel + nVidia 8400GS stand alone cardNow am confused as which to try on the Dual :oops: :oops: :oops: do NOT want to Shanghai the post with an :offtopic: sidelineCheers for YearsColin o:)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, problems for me right off the bat...Salix had a corrupted burn, I think. It started to install and then complained about corrupted files on the CD. :(Frugalware installed OK, but I can't get X running. Gonna' have to install Nvidia drivers, I think, to get this one going. The above two were installed outside on my ericsshop02 system.I'm going to install Aptosid on my inside ericsbane05 main system because it will require regular updating (rolling release), and I may not always get out to the workshop regularly to do that on that system out there.

• 3 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

The Installfest moves into late May...Aptosid - install went fine. Cannot boot. Issues with fstab, disk identifications, UUID, etc. Will get back to it... some day. :yes: