Alright... I'm Goin' In

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Now that my system is somewhat recovered , I'm going to sign off for a bit to install MS Win XP/SP3 on my replacement SATA1 drive. If I login here next time from my laptop, you'll know something went awry. :(Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi, folks!All went well. I had one bugaboo with Arch's GRUB entry for Win XP, but I got that squared away. I'm posting this from a fully updated MS Win XP Pro installation w/ IE 8. Yippee!I wouldn't normally enable Networking in MS Win XP on my desktop system because I only use it to play games. However, my confidence has really increased regarding MS because of my Win 7 installation on my laptop; and also the fact that I am comfortable with MS Security Essentials, which I've also installed on my XP installation.So, again... Yippee! All is well. I have 5 tester slots on this replacement drive just like on the one that went kerflooey, so I'll be installing some Linux distros (Foresight, CentOS, etc.) pretty soon. :)Off I go...

Hi, folks!All went well. I had one bugaboo with Arch's GRUB entry for Win XP, but I got that squared away. I'm posting this from a fully updated MS Win XP Pro installation w/ IE 8. Yippee!I wouldn't normally enable Networking in MS Win XP on my desktop system because I only use it to play games. However, my confidence has really increased regarding MS because of my Win 7 installation on my laptop; and also the fact that I am comfortable with MS Security Essentials, which I've also installed on my XP installation.So, again... Yippee! All is well. I have 5 tester slots on this replacement drive just like on the one that went kerflooey, so I'll be installing some Linux distros (Foresight, CentOS, etc.) pretty soon. :)Off I go...
Nice. Way to go Eric! Resurrecting frankensteins are always a good *thing*. haha...Happy computing. :thumbsup: Edited by Tushman

Guest LilBambi
Great job on getting it all work and patched! :thumbsup:Don't think that logic as to why to enable networking on Windows XP, just because your confidence in Windows 7 is higher - they are nothing alike in security ... the best browsers all around will NOT be available very shortly for Windows XP, or at least their best security tricks. Internet Exploder 9 will not even run on Windows XP, btw.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I don't intend to be doing much surfing in XP. I just enabled Networking to get all the latest updates and because I occasionally need to download a game patch or mod. That's about it for my XP surfing. :thumbsup:

Frank Golden

Way to go Eric.Now you can play some Windows based games.I still have XP on a spare drive.I run it occasionally to keep it updated.I don't use though.

Edited by Frank Golden

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I could play my old favs (STALKER and Deus EX) if I could get this darn vid card to work. :clap2:

James M. Fisher

It's fun every once in awhile to return to a fresh install of a previous windows version like XP, and then apply the all the SPs and fixes. Well, fun if you have a few hours to spare. I keep an image of XP w/SP3, but even it would be out of date now.

It's fun every once in awhile to return to a fresh install of a previous windows version like XP, and then apply the all the SPs and fixes. Well, fun if you have a few hours to spare. I keep an image of XP w/SP3, but even it would be out of date now.
I remember when you wrote at Windows Talk about installing Windows XP3 but noticed that it didn't take very long before you went back to Windows 7.

James M. Fisher
I remember when you wrote at Windows Talk about installing Windows XP3 but noticed that it didn't take very long before you went back to Windows 7.
GUILTY! B) (Nice to know somebody is reading the stuff I publish!) At the time I was still using my older Dell laptop with 2GB RAM and while Win7 will run on it fine, it would get bogged down as I added other programs and filled its small 80GB hard drive. XPSP3 just ran so much better on it, but once you get used to Win7 it is hard to go back despite the fact that at work, all the PCs are still XP-based. Now I have my new Lenovo laptop with Win7 Pro, so I am a happy camper again. :)

Guest LilBambi

That is so true, James. Windows 7 is my most favorite Windows yet. I still use WinXP SP3 updated on my older Sony laptop that won't run Windows 7, but I really miss Windows 7 when I have to use it. ;)I read WindowsTalk too, ya know. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey James... I keep SP2 and SP3 on a CD, also. However, they're a couple years out of date, so I still have to do about 30 mins or so of updated via the Net once they're installed. No biggie, though. I s'pose I should make some newer SP2 and SP3 images, though, if I intend to keep a viable XP around here in the future. I don't think MS will keep that XP stuff on their servers forever.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Fran... Myeh... that's just a wine front end for running Windows apps in Linux. I'm not much on virtual stuff, so I'll just stick with the real thing. When you have lots of hdd space to spare, a Win installation doesn't hurt anything. Besides, I still have friends and relatives who run XP on their systems. I have to keep my XP knowledge relatively current to assist them occasionally. It's like a language; if you don't use it, you lose it. Reinstalling and setting up networking the other day in XP was a refresher course, for sure. B)