XP Wallpaper background

metho

hi Need to deploy and set a background with the company logo on few 100 machines! the problem is with not giving users the rights to change the background at all... managed to figure that out by using reg entries (avoided the active desktop way which isnt giving user the transparent icons on the desktop) following registry entries can be used to take the rights away to change the background!HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop"NoChangingWallPaper" = 1and the following link explains it all http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/107383-d...ent-change.htmlwith this everything works fine apart from firefox which still ignore all this in other words firefox users will have the rights to click on an image and set as background where everywhere else it does not work!could you help me resolve this issue, is there a way where users can change the background if they want but as soon as they restart their systems background changes back to company background by default!thanks in advance!-mEtho

i came across this article, it means installing "Menu Editor" add-on for all those PCs on the network! thanks for your suggestion but its not really a feasible option right now! :thumbsup:

hi could you help me resolve this issue, is there a way where users can change the background if they want but as soon as they restart their systems background changes back to company background by default!thanks in advance!-mEtho
mEtho, I've worked in corporate environments just as the one you've described and I think the group policy editor is the best tool (option). As far as monitoring changes to the wallpaper, you could incorporate a script through active directory logon that would check the value for registry key that contains the path for the wallpaper. THis way even if a user somehow does manage to change it through Firefox, the script could simply overwrite the current value and replace it with the correct value (path) that shows the company logo.I also found a MSKB article here that talks about how to restore the change desktop wallpaper option due to either a virus infection or group policy enforcement. It is the exact opposite of what you want to do, but if you read the directions, it might give you some clues as to how you might make it apply to your situation. Good luck.

everyone thanks for the replies! @Temmu : trying to aviod group policies i.e. Active Desktop... as far as i am aware group policies only allows you to play around with Active Desktop when it comes to changing the wallpaper etc etc. @Tushman i am using similer to your method. basically i created a bach file that changes to wallpaper on everytime computer starts up using the following reg key! HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runnow the question i have, is there a way to run the batch file in the background i.e. no user interation... came across a website that mention using a vbscript that points to the batch file... not an option to do that... so please let me know if you have any suggestions!-mEtho

@Tushman i am using similer to your method. basically i created a bach file that changes to wallpaper on everytime computer starts up using the following reg key! HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runnow the question i have, is there a way to run the batch file in the background i.e. no user interation... came across a website that mention using a vbscript that points to the batch file... not an option to do that... so please let me know if you have any suggestions!-mEtho
Unfortunately, when I was working at the company I worked at where I saw this happen, I was not working in a IT support role so I cannot tell you for exact certain how they did it. My hunch is that they did it through AD logon scripts. Creating a batch file that runs when Windows boots up isn't all that difficult, but if the users in the office are logging on through AD, I think that would be a better solution. Simply because it is transparent to the user and even if they were aware of it, there's no way for them to modify or alter the process because it's all done through the server. Hence AD logon script igives you more control and less chance of something going awry at boot up with the batch process. Here is one link that I found to point you in the right direction. If you do a Google search like this one, you'll find several other sites. Edited by Tushman

if you have 100 machineshow on earth are you managing them without active directory?that is impossible!
I'm still unclear if the OP meant to say no AD or no to group policies. I think he is saying he doesn't want to use group policies.