Xmarks Hits the Skids

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

A while back (see this post), I was raving about this new app extension that I had found for FF to synchronize my bookmarks across operating systems and computers. I still think that app is a wonderful tool. However, as of yesterday, my Xmarks failed to sync (with accompanying vague error report) on all my machines/operating systems. Strange, huh? It even stopped synching in MS Win7/IE8.I went through all the suggested log reading, troubleshooting, workarounds, etc. Nothing worked. So...I'm the proud new user of the Firefox Sync extension. Seems to be working pretty well.Off I go...

EricI've been evaluating Firefox Sync alongside Xmarks for about 1 month.So far so good. I may actually replace Xmarks as my sync option.The only place I see Xmarks/Last Pass being superior is that it is cross-browser; Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I removed Xmarks from IE8 in MS Win 7 on the laptop. I'm considering installing FF on Win 7. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Firefox and Chrome on Windows 7, Mac OS X and Linux are great! :thumbsup: Almost interchangeable in their goodness.Chrome is faster and Firefox is reliable goodness but slower/heavier, at least till 4.0 goes stable.Both can have things like WOT, Flashblock, Adblock Plus.Firefox has NoScript and Chrome has built-in Javascript control.So there is a no lose situation with either browser in any OS.

I started to use FF Sync, a couple of weeks after I got my initial email from Xmarks, telling me they were going to cease support (I think it was supposed to shut down in January?). I use it in two different computers, three different OS's and even in the OS's that I have in Virtualbox.The only annoying thing I have found, is that just after I start FF, it semi-freezes until it finishes syncing. But other than that, I actually prefer FF sync.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hiya, ya' bunch of nuts! ;)Hi, Colin... I haven't noticed that slowdown. I probably will, though, now that you mentioned it. HA! :D

"Xmarks Hits the Skids?" Anyone else having trouble with it? I'm still using it in Chromium, but with no problems. I do still have FF installed on most of my distros but I rarely use it anymore. I hope I won't have to use something else besides Xmarks.

I've noticed that little snag. Thought it was with FF 4.0 RC.
I'm using FF 3.6.15, in lucid. I haven't booted into win 7... actually, I can't remember the last time... so I don't remember if it did it with FF in 7 or not. But it does it in FF in my 2 lucid machines, as well as in VB.

"Xmarks Hits the Skids?" Anyone else having trouble with it? I'm still using it in Chromium, but with no problems. I do still have FF installed on most of my distros but I rarely use it anymore. I hope I won't have to use something else besides Xmarks.
Dual booting 7 an Arch and am having no problems with XMarks at all :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know what happened to my Xmarks... corrupted bookmark or something. It eventually affected all my systems and browsers (even IE8). ;)

Hm, yeah I guess that could have done it, if something was corrupted or whatever. The title of this thread startled me, I have to admit! I went and exported a copy of the bookmark file to my hard drive just to be on the safe side, then did a few "synchs" just to make sure the service was still working okay.

V.T. Eric Layton

FF Sync is working fine, but it does gobble up some cpu cycles. I just set it to only sync bookmarks and passwords to see if that will relieve some of the cpu issues.

I normally use Chromium, and only occasionally Firefox or Google Chrome. But in my case, a cross-browser solution like Xmarks is kinda important. I'm not sure what else is out there, but if Xmarks really hit the skids, I'd have to find another solution. Maybe my "old-fashioned" approach of saving a copy of the bookmarks html and using that when I need to.