SuSE ftp install error

LLfan

I downloaded the iso for the boot cd and burned it.Rebooted with cd in, got the SuSE installation screen, tried installing via network, and choose FTP. Then I get a red pop-up box that tells me: error no network device found.I have a mobo that has an ethernet slot built-in and I use it for my connection. What is up?

Never tried a network install myself Mike, but what I read from your post it looks like your network card is not supported . . . . try plugging in another NIC ( and disabling the onboard one ) that might help . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

Well the mobo probably is . . . but the on board NIC does not seem to be . . . you could boot Mandrake and do "lspci" to see how Mandrake calles your onboard NIC, and then go to SuSE´s website and do some research . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

As I told you at MyPC, you need to tell the installer to install your NIC... it's in the modules section (I think)... just find your NIC driver and hit okay to install it... then you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

Do you know who made the motherboard and what chipset it has? Once you've identified the ethernet controller you then have to load a Kernel Module from the setup routine before choosing the Start Installation routine. You're putting your cart before your horse, so to speak. Does the computer already have some version of Windows installed? If yes, use Device Manager to help you identify it.

Guest ThunderRiver

You should open your computer case up and find out what chipset your NIC is using on the mobo.I think the most generic NIC driver is tulip drivers (which covers almost all Linksys and so on), but you should google around and find out exactly what driver is suitable for your PC.

As I told you at MyPC, you need to tell the installer to install your NIC... it's in the modules section (I think)...  just find your NIC driver and hit okay to install it... then you should be good to go. :lol:
Where is this 'modules' section located at? I did not see it booting from the boot disk I made.

Well... if I had my boot disk here at work, I'd tell you... I think it's called kernel modules or something... I don't remember exactly as I can't pull up the display