Quicktime

iajoe

I've heard that Quicktime 6.0 or something has security leaks. Just because of that should one uninstall that and install Qu. 6.1. I hope that these numbers are correct.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, should get the latest iteration due to security issues...although uninstall of the previous version not needed... it will take care of that when you download the new one.That's one thing that Apple really does right! Among many others of course.

I have 1 more question in regard to Quicktime 6.0. I have 6 plug-ins for it. They are all 9 6 kb. and appear to be the same thing.Before( When) I upgrade to 6.1 will it work out better if I delete these 6?

Guest LilBambi
I have 1 more question in regard to Quicktime 6.0. I have 6 plug-ins for it. They are all 9 6 kb. and appear to be the same thing.Before( When) I upgrade to 6.1 will it work out better if I delete these 6?
The quicktime installer will do it all for you ... including the plugins.Did you buy Quicktime ... if so install the whole thing ... if not just do the standard install and it will install codecs as needed but you won't be required to purchase or it disables itself... at least that's the way it's been here so far.Temmu --You are right ... however, I have downloaded the new one which is 6.1 and it works great...actually fixed some problems that 6.0 had with IE.

I am of the same belief, in most cases, as Temmu. I did not switch from 98SE to 2000 until SP1 and did not switch to XP until SP1( probably would not of switched at all if not for so many clients wanting/using XP). Companies can do the best they can beta testing, but until something is released to countless millions, using countless different configurations, all the bugs just can not be found. But I believe most....most....companies try the best they can on finding bugs before releasing their product.

Guest LilBambi

That same rule of Thumb is something that I generally live by ;)But security issues are something I don't generally mess around with. ... I generally wait a few days to see if the stuff has hit the fan and if not, I go ahead and get the security update.The QuickTime update has been out for at least a week or two and I haven't heard any problems with it.And as it turned out ... a major nuisance with QuickTime (which was a known problem) in the latest iteration of IE 6.x was fixed.So I couldn't be happier! Unless of course, it was that they weren't all a bunch of nosey, blah, blah, blah ... nevermind :P