Starting Enlightenment in Arch

ichase

Ian, have you not tried the Catalyst driver?
Sue, I have not attempted the catalyst driver because my card is not supported by it.

Have you tried changing xorg.conf to

Driver   "radeon"

? Back up your current one so you can change it back from a terminal login in case X doesn't start at all. It looks like the radeon module is loaded but not being used.

Ok, making progress. I now have MUCH better graphics resolution now. Here is what I did. I moved my xorg.conf file to /etc/backups/xorg.conf.bk and then started X. I have read that the xorg.conf is not needed and will sometimes cause problems.This is one of the things I love about Arch. I like the way it goes right into CLI hense the reason why I have not setup my .xinitrc to autostart E17. I like to just type startx in case I need to take care of anything before going in. :thumbup:I had in fact sunrat, manually changed VESA to Radeon with no success. So now all is well and it looks like I can keep Arch on my lappy. :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: add happy dance emoticon here. :)Now the only thing I am still trying to figure out is why conky (which now loads automagically) is not transparent. I have it set that way.Here is a screen shot of my current Arch E17 to show you what I mean. It's black?archwp316.th.pngNot sure if this is a quick fix or not. If I need to add my .conkyrc, let me know.All the best and THANK YOU so much for all of your help, especially Josh who has had the patience of jobe with me. :)Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

Looks great!!! The ~/.xinitrc does not autostart your window manager but is the file to choose which window manager you want to launch when you type startx. Now you can autostart apps using .xinitrc but it will not autostart the window manager.As far as transparent conky, do you have this in your .conkyrc:

background yesown_window yesown_window_type normalown_window_transparent yesown_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

Josh,Only differerence is, mine says:

own_window_type desktop

As far as autostarting, I like it just the way it is. If you have to configure anything prior to going into you WM or DE, you just log in a go to work. :thumbsup: typing "startx" is really not that inconvenient. :)Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

That is what I am saying, the .xinitrc is the configuration file for startx. When you type startx it reads your .xinitrc file for its configuration.

That is what I am saying, the .xinitrc is the configuration file for startx. When you type startx it reads your .xinitrc file for its configuration.
I got that, I also know from reading that you can right a script that when you boot the lappy it will automagically enter your WM or DE. I think you have to have a login manager installed though :thumbsup: About to change own_window_type to normal instead of window. See if that makes a diff. :)All the best,IanEdit: Did not change anything at all. :hmm:Also
2339 Frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.217 FPS

is MUCH better. :lol:

Edited by ichase

Yay!!! Dontcha just love those Ah-hah! moments, even the small ones? :thumbsup:
Love them Sue, the more I learn about Linux the more I wish I would have gone down this road YEARS ago. ;)All the best,Ian

V.T. Eric Layton
...the more I learn about Linux the more I wish I would have gone down this road YEARS ago. :lol:
Ditto! :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Very nice Ian, sounds like you have it working now!!!As far as autostarting the WM/DE, you can do this but it requires a login manager and is not configured via ~/.xinitrc but the LM's /etc/ config file. ~/.xinitrc is only for starting a wm/de via startx and autostarting apps.

Very nice Ian, sounds like you have it working now!!!As far as autostarting the WM/DE, you can do this but it requires a login manager and is not configured via ~/.xinitrc but the LM's /etc/ config file. ~/.xinitrc is only for starting a wm/de via startx and autostarting apps.
Don't think I am going to autostart. I like being brought into CLI upon boot. Alows me more options for configuring prior to entering the WM. :lol: IanEdit: Also, I guess you can mark this post as "SOLVED" :( Edited by ichase