Win7 winsxs problem

crp

The winsxs architecture decision will go down as one of the worst design flaws Microsoft does, imho.It was bad enough in XP, but now in Win7 they have made it worse.Does anyone know how to compress the winsxs directory? I am the only user on a Win7 Pro notebook and it says I have don't the rights (i'm the freaking admin!) to compress the directory or the files in it.The directory is already huge and this is a notebook with a light harddrive, so space is not boundless.(better yet, anyone have a way of cleaning it out all together?)

From The Secret Of Windows 7 / Vista Winsxs Folder.

There have been several blogs and even some “underground” tools that tell you it’s ok to delete the WinSxS directory, and it’s certainly true that after installation, you can remove it from the system and it will appear that the system boots and runs fine. But as described above, this is a very bad practice, as you’re removing the ability to reliably service, all operating system components and the ability to update or configure optional components on your system. Windows Vista only supports the WinSxS directory on the physical drive in its originally installed location. The risks far outweigh the gains removing it or relocating it from the system, given the data described above.

oh, I knew it was to combat dll ****, but the cure is worse than the disease in a lot of cases.for those who say big deal , it is only 8G of space - think how big SSD's in netbooks and ultrathin notebooks are.

NP...Temmu...Crp i'm not sayin it's the best solution...but i understand why they did it.It actually makes alot of sense...and with the size/price factor of HDD's this day and age i rarely look at used space.