L.A.County Bans Use Of Master/Slave Term

havnblast

Claim: The County of Los Angeles has requested that equipment vendors avoid using the industry term "Master/Slave" in product descriptions and labelling.Status: True.Origins: Socialchanges of our era have been accompanied by linguistic changes: as discrimination based upon race, gender, or physical condition has become less socially acceptable, we began to frown upon the use of pejorative terms associated with race, moved towards more gender-neutral usages of language (e.g., 'chairperson' instead of 'chairman'), and replaced terms for describing the disabled with less stigmatizing ones (e.g., 'mentally handicapped' rather than 'retarded').
Full ArticleWater Cooler or Hardware? - hmmmmmmm

:blink: This politically correct stuff has always taken me for a loop. I can see how some people could get upset about "master/slave", but those terms have been around for centuries, at least way before America's venture into owning people. (Some parts of American history are quite embarrassing, Slavery is one of them, probably coming in close second to the extermination of the "north american" Natives)Personally, I think that bringing the "Master/Slave" used in technology into PCness is rather silly.Every time I come back to the states for a visit, I always get reminded of how politically incorrect I am. o:) I just haven't been around enough (last ~15 years) to get with the program. As far as "chairman" (and the like) is concerned, I always thought it as "chair(hu)man". Isn't that the way it is supposed to be??So, who are the offendies? "People of Colour" , Women, ???Is it politically incorrect to say that "I made something blonde proof" or is that just bad taste (be it however accurate :P ) ?? :blink: All in all, I have to agree with nilson. PC is crap!! :blink:

Is it politically incorrect to say that "I made something blonde proof" or is that just bad taste (be it however accurate :) ) ?? ;)
Oh I think that is pretty politically incorrect. However, another teacher at work when I met her last year told me she died her hair blond so people would have lower expectations of her! :) beeTee - love the TidBits link. Just think how horrible it would be if they instituted all that! :)

Why does everyone have to think that those commonly used words are aimed at them or their race directly? I fail to grasp the concept. Do they believe that by eradicating every instance of any terminology pertaining to slavery, then the past will be changed and none of that will have ever happened? Don't get me wrong, I think slavery was one of the worst possible things a person could do to another. What next? If my name was associated with some kind of slavery slang, am I going to be sued for causing 'emotional distress' or some crap like that? It's a word, people! Calling it something besides master/slave is still going to mean exactly the same thing! For example: If I said the word sh_t, that's a swear word, right? What about replacing it with the word 'shoot'? The intent is exactly the same, so 'shoot' should be a swear word as well in that context only.Same thing when it comes to the master/slave thing. Does it mean that the master device is forcing the slave device to work in it's tobacco fields? NO! It's a word! A label![/rant]

nlinecomputers

It just like these idiots that want to ban confederate flags. I admit that in many places people that deplay the flag are doing so to promote racist views but not always. Yet to ban every use of the flag would ignore history. Indeed the south before the war was far more accepting of blacks then the north was at least that was how many historians such as Alexis de Tocqueville observed it. The confederate consitution banned the slave trade and most southerners supported plans to have the government buy the slaves and free them. A plan that many other nations, such as , Argentina, Colombia, Chile, all of Central America, Mexico, Bolivia, Uruguay, the French and Danish colonies, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela, at the time had done. But the Civil War wasn't about slavery. Slavery was just a tool used by both sides in the greater ecomomic war that was going on a the time. Indeed much of the same problems happend then as we have now. Big Business(Railroads and steel then vs Auto,Oil, and big Media now), Banking or National Debt, the military industrial complex, pork barrell spending, and loss of jobs to forigen markets. And the government in power reacts much the same way. Lincoln illegally suspended rights of habeas corpus, censored the press, arrested and deported a congressman, violated international treaties by attacking and looting civilians, and used the State Department to spy on his citizens. Not much different then now huh?

Oooh, very interesting. Never knew they had policitally correct unix. Where can I buy that at? New policy at the college you know. :w00t: B) :lol:You know the sad part of all of this is the fact they think they are helping a cause. What they don't see is how it sets everything back by untold years.Sounds like a familar yet true story in the corporate world. Man went under the knife and came out as a new women. A barage of terms decades, such as shims, could no longer be used in the shop, including careful refrained use of the word "it". Otherwise it was you going out the door. I don't want to know. Don't ask, don't tell.

Gee, I wonder why the state of California has such financial problems? Could it be their elected officials are spending too much time worrying about words/votes and not enough time about real issues? But wait, I think I hear the solution. They're going to band the use of the word "bankrupt". Problem solved.Gee, let's outlaw the words "war" and "terrorism". Oops, can't, the media wouldn't have anything to report. But we could outlaw "AIDS" and "poverty" and "guns" and "crime" and ......