Considering upgrade on old system

DarkSerge

Hello,I'm thinking of upgrading my older Windows XP machine to Windows 7 this year. In the last few months it's been having a lot of problems, and I'm thinking it's time for a reformat, and if I'm doing that, I might just upgrade to Windows 7.I wanted some opinions on how well it might handle the upgrade with a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading and 2 GB of RAM, DDR 320. There is no video card, it just has an Intel chipset built into the motherboard, not very impressive video.

V.T. Eric Layton

Read here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...quirements.aspxI don't think you'll have any issues with trying to run that on your system. It runs fine on my laptop (AMD Turion w/ 2Gig RAM) and my desktop (AMD Athlon 64 3800+ w/ 2Gig RAM). Of course, the more graphic capabilities your system has, the better all that spiffy Win 7 eye candy will look.:hysterical:

I ran the upgrade advisor. I pass the hardware requirements, which I knew I would: 1 GHz minimum, mine is 3 GHz. 1 GB RAM minimum, I have 2. Plus I have plenty of hard drive space for it. I planned on doing a full wipe and install to a clean drive.As expected, it says my video card wouldn't support Aero well enough, which I expected anyway and I wasn't worried about using Aero.I have a question though. My CPU is a Pentium 4, 3 GHz with Hyperthreading. Do I have a 64-bit or 32-bit processor? Windows XP shows me as having 2 CPUs installed, which I imagine means two virtual cores in my processor, meaning two 32-bit threads = 64-bit? Am I thinking that right? Would I install a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?

I ran the upgrade advisor. I pass the hardware requirements, which I knew I would: 1 GHz minimum, mine is 3 GHz. 1 GB RAM minimum, I have 2. Plus I have plenty of hard drive space for it. I planned on doing a full wipe and install to a clean drive.As expected, it says my video card wouldn't support Aero well enough, which I expected anyway and I wasn't worried about using Aero.I have a question though. My CPU is a Pentium 4, 3 GHz with Hyperthreading. Do I have a 64-bit or 32-bit processor? Windows XP shows me as having 2 CPUs installed, which I imagine means two virtual cores in my processor, meaning two 32-bit threads = 64-bit? Am I thinking that right? Would I install a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?
D\L the free Belarc Advisor tool from here and install and run it.http://www.belarc.com/free_download.htmlIt will create a detailed report of your system.Whether or not you have a 64 bit processor should be part of the report.See screenshot below.th_Capture-4.png Edited by Frank Golden

Unless it's a Pentium 4 of the Prescott core (90nm) and in a LGA775 socket it's not 64-bit. the x86_64 extensions on the older sockets were disabled.

It's a Prescott core, 90nm, Socket 478 mPGA. 1 core, 2 threads.The Belarc advisor does not say 64-bit ready. Now I know! Thanks!

Edited by DarkSerge

Yeah, I had one of the older P4 Socket 478 Prescotts and was peeved when I couldn't install a 64-bit Linux distro on it back in 2007. "But, but, but, Officer, the Intel web site said the Prescotts were 64-bit!!!""Sorry, son, no 775 for you!" :thumbsup:

that's a crying shame.it's the product of, 'ok, it failed the 64 bit function, but passes the 32 bit. sell it as such.'that is, of course, why the higher clock cycle chips are way more expensive, there are far fewer of them that make it past q.a. (they are sold as slower clock speed chips.)
In this case it's the socket 478 that at fault.I bet if the same processor were installed in a MB with a 775 socket it would install a 64 bit OS no problem.