Taking another crack at it...

epp_b

I posted something in the forum here before about this, and have tried several things, including all of the suggestions that were given to me.A picture = 1000 words, so...intel_ide_conflict.pngThe properties show that it has a CODE 15 resource conflict.Even though I'm having no problems with stability or performance, it's still bugging the beans out of me why I can't get this working ;)I know the setup should be that the Bus Master is a parent controller for two Dual Fifo child controllers, as it is on my other machine.Here's what I've all tried to no avail:

• Going through the Windows troubleshooter, which ultimately tells me that, unless I'm having system stability/performance problems (which I'm not), it's working fine, and I'm better off leaving it alone.
  • I've searched for updated drivers, but every resource I've found says that Windows 98 has the driver for this controller (which it does, but, in my case, doesn't quite work properly). So there's nothing available online that I've found.
  • Tried changing IRQ's & DMA's, but resource settings cannot be changed for IDE Controllers
  • Updated Drivers with Intel INF Utility
  • Removed Intel 82731 PCI IDE Bus Master Controller (let Windows redetect)
  • Removed the two standard controllers (let Windows redetect)
  • Downgraded PCI IDE Bus Master Controller driver to Standard Dual PCI Controller (didn't solve problem) by using "Update Driver"...
  • ....and then upgraded back to Intel 82731 PCI IDE Bus Master Controller driver (also disn't solve problem) by using "Update Driver"

I'm out of ideas. Is there anything else I can possibly do???

What's the chipset? Is that a BX? The other thing, what devices do you have attached to your channels? Double-check the jumpers for master/slave, while you're at it.

What's the chipset? Is that a BX?
I think so, yes.http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/d...cid=MIGR-4GUKFU shows a similar diagram to what my device manager looks like (differences: I don't have the DVD-ROM, and, of course, my Intel Bus Mastering controller shows a conflict -- this link shows no bus mastering controller for some reason)
The other thing, what devices do you have attached to your channels? Double-check the jumpers for master/slave, while you're at it.
Hmmm...that's kinda complicated (if even possible) as this is a notebook (IBM ThinkPad 600x 2645-9EU). The only other IDE device would be the CD-ROM.

I would search the Registry for the HDD entries that load the mixed drivers. If I recall, entering regedit in Start => Run and then entering HDD in Edit => Find => Find Next locates them. Then I would boot up in Safe mode, enter the Registry, delete them all, and reboot. Windows should then detect new hardware and install the Intel drivers or the standard busmaster drivers. If the latter, then obtain the latest busmaster driver file and other motherboard driver files from the board's site and install them.Erichttp://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Theoritically, I think removing the drivers from the device manager and letting Windows redetect them -- which I've already tried -- would do the same thing as editing the registry. Besides, Windows found no occurances of "HDD" in the registry.Any other ideas??

Have you downloaded the Intel INF Utility? If this is an Intel chipset the INF utility should install them correctly.
Yes, that was in my "list of things that I've already tried"
  • Updated Drivers with Intel INF Utility

Uninstall all drivers of question from windows via safe mode.Cleanup the registry if possible.Delete unnecessary inf files and drivers from pure dos (presuming you know what files were added and where at).Reboot and let windows autodetect again.As a last resort, you can't get it fixed, and you knew it was working at one point in time with no problems, then:Backup necessary files, and in dos rename windows to winold, re-install windows in a new directory...Delete old winold directory once sure of all needed files.

That's really strange. Looks like Windows has detected 3 different controllers, and loaded generic drivers for two it cannot ID. It also appears that at least one of the controllers is active, making the install of the Intel drivers fail. I'd do a clean install, if this was my notebook, and install the Intel IDE/busmastering drivers ahead of any other drivers.

This was a clean install :(As far as installing it ahead of other drivers, isn't that an impossibilty, since Windows will automatically install plug'n'play hardware during installation (without giving you a choice)?Edit: oh, and the other thing that kinda bugs me is that another computer on my home network -- which has a similar configuration with the exact same HDD controller -- works properly with the standard Windows driver.

Sorry. What I meant was updating the Intel INF files immediately after Windows completes the install, and before you install other motherboard drivers.Why don't you create some free space on the drive and install Windows ME or XP, just to see if the same problem appears. That way you can see if its Win98se or the IDE controller (or even the BIOS).

Sorry. What I meant was updating the Intel INF files immediately after Windows completes the install, and before you install other motherboard drivers.Why don't you create some free space on the drive and install Windows ME or XP, just to see if the same problem appears.  That way you can see if its Win98se or the IDE controller (or even the BIOS).
I don't really see how that would make a difference.XP/ME: XP certainly won't work -- this machine only has 64 MB RAM.

A few years ago I had a somewhat similar problem with very old IBM Pentium 133 desktops I was salvaging for kinder use. When I installed Windows 95 I just couldn't get the IDE controller properly detected (but I did not get the double or triple entries), although they ran okay. Somewhere on the internet it was recommended that the INF files should be updated first before the others drivers are installed/updated. On some of the machines it worked. For those that didn't I installed Windows 98SE without any problem (except for the crawling performance on 16mb EDO), which led me to the conclusion that it was an OS, rather than hardware, problem.

Actually, from what I've read, Windows 95 doesn't have the drivers for the Intel 82371 Bus Mastering HDD controller, so it requires an update. Intel says that Windows 98SE has the drivers for the controller anyway (which it does, it just doesn't seem to work on my notebook, but another machine I know of has the same controller, which is recognized and installed properly :thumbsup: )This is odd...it almost seems like an IBM thing. I've found several resources in which people are having the same/similar problem -- almost all of them with IBMs.

Yes, I agree with you. After working on hundreds of computers these years, I've seen the problem only on IBM machines with Intel chipset.Well, at least, your controller has been detected (recognized and installed). You just need to find a way to remove/disable those two other entries so they don't use the I/Os and IRQs that the Intel drivers need.

Hmph. That's strange. Other than this querk, I like ThinkPads because of their ruggedness and solidity.If I remove the other two entries, they just get redetected and conflict with the Intel controller again. I haven't tried actually disabling them, though. If I do, will Windows try to use them and fail to boot, or is it smart enough to use the Intel controller?

nlinecomputers

I often found that with conflicting devices it is best to remove ALL the devices not just the "bad" one. This will give windows a chance to install the correct driver for the correct device.

My strange generalization is based on a handful of IBM Pentium (i430hx) office desktops we were refurbishing for preschool use. There were many others of the same make that didnt. But I never saw the same problem on the Dells and Compaqs we also did.I would second nline\s advice, but I think you already tried that?If you disable these devices (at the device manager), 98se will boot fine but will re-enable these in the process. But you can try noting down the resources the 2 devices use that the Intel controller needs, and then go into safe mode and manually change the I/Os and IRQs of these 2 to "disable" them so the Intel drivers may use the resources it needs.

My strange generalization is based on a handful of IBM Pentium (i430hx) office desktops we were refurbishing for preschool use. There were many others of the same make that didnt. But I never saw the same problem on the Dells and Compaqs we also did.I would second nline\s advice, but I think you already tried that?
Yes, basically. I removed the conflicting device, reboot, redected, still conflicts. I removed the other two devices, reboot, retected, still conflicts. I haven't tried removal all three of them at the same time. I don't think it would make a difference though, because that's the same thing Windows would do on a clean install.
If you disable these devices (at the device manager), 98se will boot fine but will re-enable these in the process. But you can try noting down the resources the 2 devices use that the Intel controller needs, and then go into safe mode and manually change the I/Os and IRQs of these 2 to "disable" them so the Intel drivers may use the resources it needs.
Aaaaaaaaaagh! Now I can't boot at all! Booting to a floppy disk leaves me with no hard drive access! How do I re-enable the controller?

Hmmm...that's kinda complicated (if even possible) as this is a notebook (IBM ThinkPad 600x 2645-9EU).  The only other IDE device would be the CD-ROM.
Have a look at this Windows 98 installation document from IBM and the software matrix. It appears that you shouldn't be installing the Intel BusMaster drivers, just the INF files. This makes some sense because I know that the mobile Intel chipsets are not supported by their busmaster IDE drivers. If you look at their Device Manager listing you will see that it doesn't use the busmaster drivers but the default Microsoft drivers after you've installed the correct INF drivers, of course.

I'm really very sorry. (I did try it first on my MSI 745Ultra desktop just to check. I was able to boot Win98se at restart.) After everything, is the IDE controller enumeration at the Device Manager still the same?Yes, Peachy, all this talk about devices is really about just one controller being detected by Win98se in 3 different ways. And, yes, the "Intel drivers" we speak of are INF files from IBM. The real drivers are provided by Win98, unfortunately, Windows---despite the INF update---hangs on to the two generic drivers, creating a device conflicts problem for the Intel controller as detected.

I'm really very sorry. (I did try it first on my MSI 745Ultra desktop just to check. I was able to boot Win98se at restart.) After everything, is the IDE controller enumeration at the Device Manager still the same?
That's OK, got it working again (phew!). Yes, everything in the device manager is back the way it was (Intel 82371 controller has a conflict, other two controllers are fine).
Yes, Peachy, all this talk about devices is really about just one controller being detected by Win98se in 3 different ways. And, yes, the "Intel drivers" we speak of are INF files from IBM. The real drivers are provided by Win98, unfortunately, Windows---despite the INF update---hangs on to the two generic drivers, creating a device conflicts problem for the Intel controller as detected.
But, those INF updates from IBM (http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=MIGR-4FJ3SC) don't have anything to do with hard drive controllers. All that's there is a color profile, PCI CardBus, and APM installation.

Thanks for the link b2cm.I downloaded the file, but the readme says that it is for Windows 95 *only*. Do you have a test system that you were going to try this on (with Win98SE)? I'd rather not try this on my work system.

SOLVED!!! :)It was as simple as merging the Apm2apm.reg file from the Windows 98 Supplement (wired...the filename doesn't seem to have anything to do with HDD controllers :lol:)Kudos to Peachy and b2cm - thanks guys :unsure: