Win 7 SP1 goes GOLD sorta!

Frank Golden

This from Win 7 Forum.http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discus...-available.htmlThey originally hosted the D\L but dropped after their servers got swamped.As the article says this is supposed to be the final and considering the source I believe it is.MS hasn't officially released to the public but this D\L is supposed to be the version released to the manufacturers.I managed to get the D\L before they took it down.Install went very well with no errors.It does use 1.8 GB of disk space with uninstall files.If you are sure that the SP is working properly and don't plan on uninstalling it you can remove the uninstall files using thefollowing instructions.http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12226...eanup-tool.htmlThere is a slipstream tool available that automates many of the steps needed to slipstream the SP to a install DVD.http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-slipstre...lation-dvd-iso/Works great although it was slow (over an hour).It has a feature that allows then user to create an .iso and or burn it to a DVD or create a USB flash installer.Tool can do lots more like create a customized install DVD\USB etc.I tested the newly created .iso by installing Win 7 SP1 on a spare drive.Install went well with no errors.New installs properties page showed SP1.Oh yeah, as with any large software install or upgrade like SP1 it is wise to back up you data or better yet create an imagebefore installing.Turning off A\V realtime protection as well as shutting down all non essential programs is suggested as well.There is a optional update (KB976902) that was released on Tuesday (1/11/2011) that must be installed before installing the SP.http://www.windows7news.com/2011/01/13/win...earing-release/This update can not be removed.

Edited by Frank Golden

Now that the download is no longer hosted by a trusted site, you might want to be cautious about downloading it elsewhere.From Windows7News.com:

Why You Shouldn’t be Installing Windows 7 SP1 RTMJanuary 16, 2011 | Mike Halsey (MVP) There’s been a lot of talk in the last few days about the imminent release of Windows 7 Service Pack 1, and yesterday Martin said here that the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version had apparently been leaked online. This means, if the stories are true, that we’re now just one month away from the official release.So should you download and install this service pack? I can understand what ever since Windows XP Service Pack 2, which frankly could have been released as a whole new version of Windows as many people claim, there’s been excitement about these service pack releases.I would recommend caution though if you are considering such a move. Let me explain why.The first and most important reason is that unless you’re running Windows Server, there’s nothing new in it. It is simply a roll-up of the patches and updates that have been issued for Windows 7 since its launch in October 2009. I can’t stress this enough, you really won’t notice the difference.The other reason for proceeding with caution though is far more important. Virus and malware writers will already be hard at work implanting all sorts of trojans and nasties into the RTM service pack installer and then hosting this on file-sharing and torrent websites. Even the best anti-virus software will only detect 90% of malware and there is never any guarantee that something won’t get through.
Windows 7 News & Tips site.

Actually Win 7 Forums has switched to a dedicated server to host the D\L (direct D\L not just a torrent).This has greatly lessened the impact on their site.The majority of the folks over there have reported no issues with the SP release.

Thanx but i'll wait...Actually since XP days i usually wait at least a week after patch Tuesday to update...Only after checking all the Forums for issues do i DLoad and update.Works for me.

Thanx but i'll wait...Actually since XP days i usually wait at least a week after patch Tuesday to update...Only after checking all the Forums for issues do i DLoad and update.Works for me.
Yup. I'm a little more impatient or maybe even a little more adventurous.Anyway the first thing I did BEFORE installing was to create a restore image just in case.After several uneventful hours I created an after install image.Both images are stored safely away off disk.I'm really not risking anything except a little time (10 minutes to restore the pre-update image).BTW, Softpedia is now hosting the D\L's.http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Signat...ce-Pack-1.shtml Edited by Frank Golden

Hello,If I were going to download software which made major changes to the operating system I'm using, I'd probably wait until it was available from a trusted source, like Microsoft Connect, MSDN or TechNet. Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

• 3 weeks later...