Reinstalling Windows XP Pro

kcarswell

Tried to reinstall Win XP Pro SP1 on old Acer. Did not have the original cd that came with the system. Used another OEM cd with SP1. Got as far as the key entry but it would not take the key off the box. Now I can't start over with another cd that I do have a key for. Is there a way to use DOS prompts to get the new cd to run without automatically returning to the installation point I was previously at with the first install?

V.T. Eric Layton

Your best bet would be to reformat the drive and start fresh. You can reformat that drive using any of a myriad of utility applications like Hiren's or Ultimate Boot Disk. Here's something to think about, though... depending on the age/brand of computer you're dealing with, the system BIOS may be programmed to detect and use ONLY the branded copy of Windows that came installed on the system. Old HP and Compaq machines used to be this way.Others who are more current in their Windows knowledge will most assuredly pop in here with some more tips for you. Stay tuned...Oh, and welcome to Scot's! :thumbsup:

Tried to reinstall Win XP Pro SP1 on old Acer. Did not have the original cd that came with the system. Used another OEM cd with SP1. Got as far as the key entry but it would not take the key off the box. Now I can't start over with another cd that I do have a key for. Is there a way to use DOS prompts to get the new cd to run without automatically returning to the installation point I was previously at with the first install?
When the computer starts with the new CD, you should get a prompt that says "Hit any key to boot from CD..." If you hit a key and boot from the CD, it should allow you to start a new install. Not take you back to where you left off.

Guest LilBambi

And once you get it to boot from the CD instead of the hard drive -- during that new install -- it will generally give you the option to delete and confirm delete of the existing partitions.Eric is right. Some OEM computers are very persnickity about what version of Windows (ie, XP Home, XP Pro, that the license key is for on the side of the computer), and whether it is that OEM's disk.Some are not as discriminating, but some are.Another thought, depending on the age of the system, call the OEM. I recently had to do that and although I spent an hour on and off hold, I got the full set of restore DVDs for the system and just had to pay shipping.

Welcome to the forums.As the others have told you already, you can start over by booting up with the Windows installation CD. Make sure you change the boot priority in the BIOS. Sounds like the HDD is set to be the 1st boot device. On some very old Acer models, the F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Esc keystroke combination will get you into the BIOS. Edited by Tushman

Here's something to think about, though... depending on the age/brand of computer you're dealing with, the system BIOS may be programmed to detect and use ONLY the branded copy of Windows that came installed on the system. Old HP and Compaq machines used to be this way.
I've got a 2008 Toshiba laptop which works this way too. Don't waste your time using any restore disk other than the one that goes with that machine. Discovered that one the hard way... :) And welcome to the forum, kcarswell :thumbsup: