For us "old folks"

Jeber

This is that day on which, every year, we're taken back to what we were doing, and where we were, on this day in 1963.Do you remember?I was sitting in a bar in Detroit with the wife, nursing a beer, when on the radio...no wait, I was only 9 years old. That must be from that reoccurring dream I have... :whistling:

Guest LilBambi

I was 8 and we were home playing outside earlier. My mother called us in to watch the parade when it was broadcast (at least I think that's what happened). All I know for sure is, that the entire bottom fell out of life as we knew it that day. And the way it was handled by the powers that be didn't help the situation.For months afterward, my mother collected every single piece of anything in the newspapers, magazines, etc., in a scrapbook with JFK's picture on the front. The day JFK diedOther Google links

Edited by LilBambi

Guest Paracelsus
:o :o You almost had me going!! :lol: :lol: Except...Wait a minute!!! <_< I saw Jebs picture at the Post Office. He ain't that old.Are you gonna come along quiet like???... Or do I send out the Rangers?? :P

Since Jeber was 9 and Fran was 8 I guess I should post next since I was 7. :o I don't know about you guys but we were in school! People around here from the north were talking about being out of schooldue to a snow storm. In the midwest we were in school. The thing I remembered thinking was that it was my sister's 11th birthday and I felt sorry for her having something so tragic happen on her birthday.I am glad to hear that my mother was not the only one collecting things. Somewhere I should own a book "The Torch is Passed" but I think the mice on the farm were hungry. Other great events were the challenger explosion and of course 9/11. I was listening to someone on NPR interview young adults about what they knew about Kennedy and they knew about Marilyn Monroe but not what party he represented or anything political. Made me feel real old. <_<

Being considerably older than everyone else who has responded so far, I have a very vivid memory of the events. I was "Sweet 16", a sophomore in high school in Upstate NY (I'm STILL in Upstate NY -- what's wrong with that pix?). I can still picture where I was sitting in class -- we were taking an American History test when the announcement was made. Classes for the remainder of the day were cancelled. The buses were summoned to take us home. Students and teachers were crying in the halls. There was none of the usual laughter and teasing on the bus on the way home. At home, we were glued to the TV, watching the reports over and over again, crying.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

That was the day when America changed. When the world changed. While there have been other Presidental assassinations, Kennedys brought an end to an era....brought an end to a way of life in America. Our world was dramatically and forever altered that day. Innocence was lost......hopes and dreams shattered. Not much in our world has made sense since.

nlinecomputers

Well I wasn't born until 1964.I'm curious though. I not trying to turn this into a conspiracy debate. We could argue forever about multiple gunman and magic bullets and not solve anything. How many reading this think we haven't been told the truth about this event? It is interresting that most polls find that those who were alive at the time tend to belive that it was a freak event, the work of a lucky nutcase, while younger americans tend to think that some kind of conspiracy was at hand.

How many reading this think we haven't been told the truth about this event?
Me.But then again, I am also sure we haven't been told the truth about what was known before 9/11 & the invasion of Iraq.

nline,Good question. I do not think we have been told the complete truth. Bits and pieces of truth? Sure, but there is a lot more we are not beng told. What exactly is the public not being told????? None of us really know, nor will we ever really know. Like you said, we could debate on that until the cows come home (that is hick speak for "all night and into the morning" for those not fluent in hick speak).

Guest LilBambi

I also do not think we know or will know what all happened that day.Hey, do you remember in the movie Armageddon when they asked about that? The blank stare? LOL! :blink:

Guest Paracelsus

I've only lived in the Dallas area since '95. And I've never been big on the whole "Kennedy Thing". But there is a good friend of mine whose family has lived in Dallas for ages.Orville Boothe (father of my friend, Barron), Grew up in one of the rougher parts of town... "Fair Park".Orville is a HUGE man (the kind that you'd cross the street to avoid, if you didn't know him). 6'4"; 250lb; and bald, to boot! Almost 70, and he still looks like a brick s-house. Anyway...Orville was (is) a commercial artist and did a lot of interior "theme" painting (you know... Italian scenes; Western scenes {Dallas is a big Barbecue town}) for many of the restaurants and nightclubs in Dallas during the '50's & '60's. Even did most of the Strip Clubs. Anyway...He came to know many of the local Dallas "Mob". And as I've come to know him better (he is an ABSOLUTELY fascinating person) and this subject has come up from time-to-time.... He always comes back to one point..."Ruby didn't kill Oswald 'cause he didn't LIKE 'em". Ruby owned a strip joint, and had a liqueur license. To be able, back then, to run a strip club AND sell liqueur, without being shut down... you had to have, er...Connections.Ruby did. And he no doubt sold his soul to have them. He owed somebody BIG TIME. And he had his marker called in to take care of Oswald.Let's face it....The country... especially the South was a much different place back then. People here have told me that Johnson was DESPISED by most conservative Texans. And He was a "Native Son"! How do you think many, if not most, of the local mob would view Kennedy??1) New England Yankee - Strike One2) Inherited Wealth - Strike Two (Johnson's came from Lady Bird)3) Irish Catholic - Strike Three!!! (may as well be a Devil Worshiper)4) Civil Rights Advocate - The Straw that Broke the Camel's Back (And without getting ethnic... it wasn't just an African-American issue in Texas. Even more so than today, a large part of the labor force came from SOTB. What if "Tejanos" have rights also??)I've never been one for conspiracies...But it does give one pause to wonder

That was 5 years before my time, but I firmly believe there is some sort of conspiracy, a "Night of the Long Knives", if you will. Everyone over the age of 30 has probably seen the Zapruder home film that caught the tragic moment. If you haven't seen Oliver Stone's JFK then you have not been scared out of your seat, truly! My reading of history is that the United States of America witnessed a silent coup d'etat and a new regime has been in power for the last 40 years. :blink:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Peachy!"Night of the Long Knives" ... very good analogy, I think!Your statements mirror some of my own worries over all of this. :blink:

In Zapruder's and other films and photographs taken that day, figures and shapes — Black Dog Man, Umbrella Man, Badge Man, Babushka Lady — surface, cohere, dissemble and disappear again. Clarity collapses, once again, into foggy uncertainty. Nothing is what it seems. And what it seems is nothing. As Costner says in JFK, "We're through the looking glass."
Edited by LilBambi

• 4 weeks later...

WOW::: I was 18 way back then, in my third month at "radioman A" school, San Diego, CA on the way back to class from the noon meal. As was mentioned earlier, everything that had been good and wonderful stopped. We were put on alert for possible early graduation and immediate deployment. Many thought that it was in retribution for the "missle standoff" with Cuba. Does it make any difference now whether or not it was a conspiracy, maybe, maybe not. It will not change what has happened, however some would think that since JFK and brothr RFK were in the process of curtailing the organized crime of the era, that something in that particular area could have been involved. One last note, there is a group or body of persons called the "tri-laterals", very secretive, not a lot known about them, but a rumor of the time was that they could have been heavily involved. There are some references throughout history about this group and none of it is in a good light.

I remember exactly. Grade 12 chemistry lab working on a project. Suddenly, announcement over the PA, shock, what, what, ....I think we spent the rest of the day bouncing between CBC and Cronkite.

I was on Midway Island and just finished repairing a SSB HF transceiver. I had it hooked to a longwire antenna listening to the International news when I heard about it. There was a nice Memorial service at the Chapel. I never have understood all the conspiracy theorys. However being from Texas, I was aware that Texas politics were less than above board.