Happy Verterans' Day

SonicDragon

I was told that anyone who has served a minimum of 120 days in the service is a veteran. I supose I am one then. From what I have seen, there are a whole bunch of us on the board

I was told that anyone who has served a minimum of 120 days in the service is a veteran. I supose I am one then. From what I have seen, there are a whole bunch of us on the board
Ross, as far as I'm concerned, if you are on active duty you're a Veteran. Yes, there are a lot us in the forum and we really appreciate being remembered on this day.

Gee, if 120 days counts, how about 13 years??? I've been out for 11 years now. I am past the window where they can call me back to active duty now. B)

21 1/2 years...and still in the window..And a Thanks from US (the Vets ) to those that have supported us...that is really many more than just family..To you all Thank you...To my Friends..who didn't home..."Fair Winds and Following Seas"

8 years 11 months here.  Got out in the middle of April this year.  Navy Nuke here B)
ET or MM?
Started out as an AT and converted to AX. Spent 20 yrs 2 months and 21 days, been retired for 21 years. :)

8 years 11 months here.  Got out in the middle of April this year.  Navy Nuke here :thumbsup:
ET or MM?
ET. Discovered there's not a single electronics tech job in the OKC area... <sigh>

Guest LilBambi

Happy Veteran's Day to my Father and to all of the SFNL Forums that are also Veterans.As a Army brat, I truly appreciate what you have done for your country. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Martini Lover. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pipe up among all those 18-21 year vets. Some of us didn't realize what a good deal we had at the time. Until recently, I really didn't like discussing my service much. I had the double stigma of being a Viet Nam vet coupled with having been in the Army Security Agency. It seemed that those who didn't revile me for having enlisted (during the draft) during Nam were suspicious of me for having been in intelligence. Add to that the restriction on discussing what I did in the ASA for ten years after discharge...made it easier not to say anything. Job interviews were the worst. My MOS had no civilian counterpart, so I couldn't rely on my DD-214 to help me get a job. Dating was next worse. For some reason, potential dates don't want to hear, "I can't talk about it." But that was all years ago. I have to admit I'm still suspicious about all the new found "respect" some citizens are professing towards Nam vets. Is it PC, or have they really had a change of heart? I hope the current members of the services never have to go through the attitudes we received back then.Happy vet's day to all my fellow current and former service members.

Guest LilBambi

My Father served in the Korean War which was no picnic either. Thankfully he came back safe and sound. He later was Honorably Discharged for Medical reasons after 14 years in the Army, due to what turned out to be CMT (Charcot Marie Tooth Disease), a hereditary disease, since the Army felt that the disease had been accelerated due to the rigors of military life. He is now on 100% disability.My Mother's baby brother, my Uncle Jackie, volunteered for three terms in Vietnam while he was in the Marines. He had since retired after his 20 years, started his own A/C business, and then died of a spinal tumor that was apparently due to Agent Orange. He left 2 sons, a daughter, and a wife behind as well as a entire clan that loved him dearly.In '73, I was a patient at Valley Forge Army Hospital in rehab after a terrible tractor accident while we were living in Pennsylvania during the Vietnam war when so many young men were coming back all tattered and torn.I never understood why this country allowed the press and political opposition to destroy the dignity of those who served their Country in Vietnam. The treatment of Vietnam Vets was a travesty that should never have been allowed to happen.

nlinecomputers

Happy Veteran's Day to you all.I was not in the military but both My brothers were and My Father. All were lucky in that eye-sight problems kept them out of combat areas. My Dad served aboard a Submarine tender in WWII. My oldest Brother served the Vietnam war in Germany and my second older bother servered all his time(in the 80s) in the states. Both were programmers and that had advantages.

8 years 11 months here.  Got out in the middle of April this year.  Navy Nuke here   :thumbsup:
ET or MM?
ET. Discovered there's not a single electronics tech job in the OKC area... <sigh>
It kinda stinks here. too. Right now advancement to ET2 requires a multiple of 180+. Ick...At the same time, I do have a job, but no real chance of getting promoted anytime soon.

Yeah. I wish I'd have been eligible for ET1 back about 2000. Out of the 30 ET2s that took the test, 1 didn't advance because he was on the fat boy club... I was one of the ony 2nd's in RC... Weird.

My twin brother (lcubed1974) just recently went on terminal leave from the (ch)Air Force. They sent him to Bahrain when they knew he had a medical problem that causes pain so sever that it renders him unconcious. They ran a chemical attack drill where you have to don a gas mask. Guess where he was at the time? On the floor unconsious. Let's hope I don't meet the #%@#%s that sent him there knowingly. I'll render them unconsious... :lol: :thumbsup: :D Anywho, he got 50% disability from that. That's most/all of a house payment for the rest of his life. He's gonna shoot for Vocational Rehability as well. I hope he gets it. Full ride 48 month college trip.

Martini Lover

Jeber, congratulations, for surviving the ASA and beyond. I spent 18 months at Clark AFB with the 9th USASA from 1963 to 1965. Army, stationed on an Air Force Base. Then went to Vint Hill Farms, in Virginia and did a lot of TDY at Ft. Meade. We probably passed in the night. :shifty: A pleasant surprise from an old friend in California (I’m in Michigan) when called me and said “thanks for serving, we owe you a lot..†I was the fifth veteran he had called. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.