remote desktop setup on XP

crp

is there a way to setup RDP so that it does NOT lockout the users at the host?VNC's are not an option as there is a conflict between a critical application and the VNC's.Failing that, is there a way to trick the hosting RDP so that if it has 2 monitors only 1 monitor gets locked?

By design, RDP does not allow concurrent host and remote users. Back in the beta development of Windows XP SP1, Microsoft had a version of the Terminal Server dll that allowed for this. Some users just took the beta version of the dll and added it to their Windows XP SP1 system. Or, alternatively, you could just move to Windows Server 2003.

I'm with Peachy on this. I tried in the past to get it to do concurrent users and XP simply won't. You can use something like VNC or Dameware to allow for what you want. Or even better is GoToAsssist from Citrix. I've used that and it works great. Kind of pricey but ease of use is spectacular.

Dameware works really well, so long as you don't run into the same issues you have with VNC. They actually THOUGHT about Dameware before they built it and I've been really impressed with both its performance and the way they've added features intelligently to it over the years.

Dameware works fine in displaying a remote dual-monitor on a single screen. It presents it as a wide-screen window and allows you to zoom in on any part of it to make it readable.