New avatar formats

nilson

I believe there's a bug in this version of the forum software that screws up PNG files... Hopefully when this board is upgraded to the newer version, it will allow this... It annoys me a bit too... :devil:

My guess is hopefully when 1.3 is final, which isn't going to be that far away according to IPB website, 1.3 pdr3 is out and they figure this will be the pre-final version.

No .png? = Bug problem and executive decision.When upgrade? = Not for a while (time restrictions, etc.), and not when 1.3 is final.When we get close to upgrading, we will post information; until then, we must use what is accessible.

Edited by Arena2045

PNG is a great format I agree. As for upgrading to 1.3--my recommendation is don't waste your breath. 2.0 will be out and that will be reason enough to upgrade but 1.3 does nothing to the board with the exception of adding some admin controls.

Going from this version to 1.3 is a major change. From security fixes to a better functional board to Skins to Admining options. They usually list the change log and I know from 1.1.2 to 1.2 alone there has been a lot, not sure 1.2 to 1.3 tho.

As stated before: we have our reasons on why we are not planning on upgrading in the near future. Just look at it this way: For any given product; not all of its users upgrade to the latest shiny new version right away… many wait until an update on the update on the update is released. Or you can look at it a different way: “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.â€Are there great new features in the later versions (above 1.1.2), yes, but the SFNL Forums are not going to be upgrading for a while.

The thing that really burns me is that Invision constantly changes the way the skins are used. First 1.1.2 skins didn’t work with 1.2… and now 1.1.2 or 1.2 skins don’t work with 1.3 without modifications.They need to stick with one skin format.

Invision Power Board 1.3 (PF1) This is the first officially supported release of 1.3. Please note that skins and languages based on 1.1 or 1.2 will not work with this release. Invision Power Board 1.3 (pdr3) Note, skins and languages designed for 1.1 or 1.2 may need updating before they can be used with this release.

I still don't think skins are that important
Ah, but the point is that Arena2045 does. He has a passion for skins. The option we've been given for skins on this forum is unique, and all thanks to Arena2045. In fact, I'd have to say his passion extends to anything to improve the member's experience here...smilies, skins, new forums.So it's to our benefit in the long run to indulge him in his concern for skinning in the versions of the IPB format. Besides, he and Scot are the ones who will initiate an upgrade when the time comes, so their concerns are valid and important to us all. If member options are a concern of theirs...I consider that a good thing.