RedHat 9 Updates (and CD)

Owyn

Julia,Glad all went well...usually, I like KDE as desktop, but Gnome in Fedora is nice! :lol: Owyn,Excellent reports, explanations...will try "YUM" in RH9, as I like it in Fedora, but like "Apt4RPM" as well. :lol: Decisions, decisions...

Excellent reports, explanations...will try "YUM" in RH9, as I like it in Fedora, but like "Apt4RPM" as well. :D Decisions, decisions...
More to come. Hold on for a bit before you make your final decision.LOL: I just got the Charles Dicken's Biography. Must be the source of my urge to serialize the story.PS: What you have actually been using is "apt-rpm", not "apt4rpm".

Good review Owyn.  I will have to go back into Fedora when I get home this afternoon and install it.  Appreciate all your research.
Hold off on the updates until I can finish the setup tests for yum on Fedora.If you are in an hurry you can use apt-rpm immediately. It comes preconfigured with the correct sources for Fedora.

More to come. Hold on for a bit before you make your final decision.LOL: I just got the Charles Dicken's Biography. Must be the source of my urge to serialize the story.PS: What you have actually been using is "apt-rpm", not "apt4rpm".
:D Great! :D Can it get any easier?
localhost:~/downloads$ suPassword:[root@localhost downloads]# rpm -ivh yum-2.0.4-1.noarch.rpmPreparing...                ########################################### [100%] 1:yum                    ########################################### [100%][root@localhost downloads]# yum updateGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headers
Owyn, ready for next installment...do we get any dishes? :D

:D Great! :D Can it get any easier?
Yes. Well better actually if not easier to setup. :D
Owyn, ready for next installment...do we get any dishes? :D
Just whetting your apetite. Trying to break this into bite sized gulps.

RedHat9 yum detail test report==========================The steps I used to install and test yum on RedHat 9 were:

1)Download latest stable for Red Hat 92)Install rpm3)Use "yum list" to create initial yum database4)Re-run "yum list" to check time to update after initial database load5)Use "yum list update" to check for available updates6)Use "yum check-update" to check for available updates for installed packages on this system7)Use "yum update" to install the updates8)Use "yum install galeon" to install previously un-installed Galeon browser9)Use "yum update" to test impact of new updates for un-installed ethereal package.10)Use "yum install ethereal", "yum update", "yum remove ethereal" to test de-installing a package.11)Test "yum install apt4rpm-0.65.2-0.noarch.rpm" to install package not defined in database.12)Use "du" to check to see how much disk space has been used by yum.
Results as follows:1)Download latest stable for Red Hat 9No problems.2)Install rpmNo problems. No dependency issues. Correct version of Python allready installed on this system.3)Use "yum list" to create initial yum databaseWorked, but took over an hour to complete. Very variable download times from yum server. Varied between 10KB and 160KB. Might have just caught the server at a bad time.4)Re-run "yum list" to check time to update after initial database loadWorked. Time to check for updates to database less than 1 minute.5)Use "yum list update" to check for available updatesWorked. Produced subset listing of available updates. Database checked for updates again.6)Use "yum check-update" to check for available updates for installed packages on this systemWorked. Produced the same listing as prior step. "yum check-update" and "yum list update" are essentially the same function.7)Use "yum update" to install the updatesWorked. Produced same confirmation list as above. Gave OK to updates, let it run over night.8)Use "yum install galeon" to install previously un-installed Galeon browserStarted this next morning. Worked. Got a surprise. New ethereal update available. Update caused by RH errata notification I had just received in email from RedHat Network.
[root@TestRH9 yum]# yum install galeonGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headersgetting /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/ethereal-0-0.9.16-0.90.1.i386.hdrethereal-0-0.9.16-0.90.1. 100% |=========================| 7.3 kB    00:00getting /var/cache/yum/updates/headers/ethereal-gnome-0-0.9.16-0.90.1.i386.hdrethereal-gnome-0-0.9.16-0 100% |=========================| 3.9 kB    00:00Resolving dependenciesDependencies resolvedI will do the following:[install: galeon 1.2.7-3.i386]Is this ok [y/N]: yGetting galeon-1.2.7-3.i386.rpmgaleon-1.2.7-3.i386.rpm 100% |=========================| 2.4 MB    00:14Running test transaction:Test transaction complete, Success!galeon 100 % done 1/1Installed:  galeon 1.2.7-3.i386Transaction(s) Complete
9)Use "yum update" to test impact of new updates for un-installed ethereal package.Worked. Nothing to actually do. Ethereal not installed on this system.10)Use "yum install ethereal", "yum update", "yum remove ethereal" to test de-installing a package.Worked fine. Installed dependcies not removed. Need to be individually removed.
[root@TestRH9 yum]# yum install etherealGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headersResolving dependencies.Dependencies resolvedI will do the following:[install: ethereal 0.9.16-0.90.1.i386]I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:[deps: net-snmp 5.0.6-17.i386][deps: libpcap 14:0.7.2-1.i386]Is this ok [y/N]: yGetting ethereal-0.9.16-0.90.1.i386.rpmethereal-0.9.16-0.90.1.i3 100% |=========================| 3.1 MB    00:18Getting net-snmp-5.0.6-17.i386.rpmnet-snmp-5.0.6-17.i386.rp 100% |=========================| 1.3 MB    00:07Getting libpcap-0.7.2-1.i386.rpmlibpcap-0.7.2-1.i386.rpm  100% |=========================| 151 kB    00:00Running test transaction:Test transaction complete, Success!libpcap 100 % done 1/3net-snmp 100 % done 2/3ethereal 100 % done 3/3Installed:  ethereal 0.9.16-0.90.1.i386Dep Installed:  net-snmp 5.0.6-17.i386 libpcap 14:0.7.2-1.i386Transaction(s) Complete[root@TestRH9 yum]# yum remove etherealGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headersResolving dependenciesDependencies resolvedI will do the following:[erase: ethereal 0.9.16-0.90.1.i386]Is this ok [y/N]: yRunning test transaction:Test transaction complete, Success!Erasing: ethereal 1/1Erased:  ethereal 0.9.16-0.90.1.i386Transaction(s) Complete[root@TestRH9 yum]# rpm -qa | egrep net-snmp\|libpcap\|etherealnet-snmp-5.0.6-17libpcap-0.7.2-1
11)Test "yum install apt4rpm-0.65.2-0.noarch.rpm" to install package not defined in database.Failed. Could not handle installation of rpm from outside of database.Tried again with "yum install apt4rpm" same results.
[root@TestRH9 apt4rpm]# yum install apt4rpm-0.65.2-0.noarch.rpmGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headersCannot find a package matching apt4rpm-0.65.2-0.noarch.rpmNo actions to take[root@TestRH9 apt4rpm]# yum install apt4rpmGathering header information file(s) from server(s)Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - BaseServer: Red Hat Linux 9 - UpdatesFinding updated packagesDownloading needed headersCannot find a package matching apt4rpmNo actions to take
12)Use "du" to check to see how much disk space has been used by yum.
[root@TestRH9 yum]# pwd/var/cache/yum[root@TestRH9 yum]# du3948    ./base/packages9092    ./base/headers13144 ./base127788  ./updates/packages3508    ./updates/headers131312  ./updates144460  .
Not bad. Most of the space consumed was for the local copies of the updated/installed packages.----------------------------Next installment. Getting "apt4rpm" installed using "rpm" and "yum"

Bravo! Owyn, excellent! Have been in RedHat 9.0 all day...testing, updating, manipulating, deciding; I now am leaning toward "YUM", as an update/upgrade source. Like you said, the initial "yum list" can take several minutes, thereafter it flies! Especially enjoy the way it makes known what it is doing...and I see what you mean about just updating the headers - a fine little application...thanks! :thumbsup:

I now am leaning toward "YUM", as an update/upgrade source.
You could do worse. At this point you have a viable option to replace up2date if you have broadband. And with a lot less setup.The story is far from finished however. It doesn't stop until we have taken a good look at all the options.We also have to take a "fresh" look at things.Heck, with luck I could drag this out for the whole week. :thumbsup: :P

I like how simple yum is. Just downloaded it from Owyn's link. Then I ran it. Since I just installed RH this morning, it is flying going through all the updates. :blink:

From the yum mailing list

For a variety of reasons, I've written an article on yum that mightserve as an introduction.  It is NOT a manual, NOT a HOWTO.  It's a bitlong (but fairly complete). People who were looking for relativelysimple non-man-page non-HOWTO documentation are encouraged to give it alook, and it is of course open for comments and corrections as well.It has lots of examples (and more are welcomed).  The last couple ofsections will likely be cloned into the HOWTO soon as well, finishing itoff.Note the OPL.  You can copy and use it as you wish, as long as you don'tresell it for a profit without dickering with me first.See:  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_a...le/yum_article/ rgb
Well written. Gives you a lot of the background on why to use yum.