Win7- post your best tip

Tushman

I just found out today that you can adjust the icon size in any (Explorer) window the same way you can adjust the font size in Firefox. That is you hold down the Ctrl button while you scroll wheel (up & down) on your mouse. When I discovered this, I was like 'eh'... but then I found that you can perform the same action on the desktop!Now that was quite impressive! (Scalable desktop icons....whoa). Boy Microsoft has really outdone themselves this time. I'm impressed.What's the neatest thing you've found out about Win7? Any good tips?

Edited by Tushman

One thing that impressed me (I've been using Win 7 since the public release of the beta) was the hardware support builtin.Installing XP on my notebook required that I D\L (from Acer) all hardware drivers and have them available for install after XP is up and running.This includes the drivers for my Broadcom ethernet and Intel WI-Fi adapters.With XP until I install these two drivers I have no networking or internet.Win 7 installs all my drivers to include the network drivers during setup.The only drivers not installed were my builtin Logitech webcam, my ATi video drivers and my builtin TI SD card reader.The first Windows update installed the missing webcam and video drivers.The SD card reader drivers I got from Acer.I don't know about anyone else but MS's decision to release Win 7 as a beta and later RC was a stroke of genius IMHO.Because these testing versions were relatively bug free and nearly feature complete they exposed the vast computing public to Win 7 before final release.In my case this was what made up my mind to switch (read that pay for) the final when released.I've since almost completely ditched XP (I still have XP installed on another smaller HDD.

Snipping tool.To access click the start button and enter in the search field (another great feature) "snipping tool" without the quotes.Click the result and a dialog box will open instructing the user "Drag the cursor around the are you want to capture"Do that and you can save the resulting "improved" screenshot for posting to forums and emails etc.I say improved because only the area outlined by the cursor is captured and saved as a png file.Unlike Print screen the snippet is saved directly to a file.Print Screen places the capture in the clipboard, requiring the user open the image in paint and saving it to generate the png file.A few more steps and mouse clicks.By right clicking the snipping tool search result after entering it in the search field and selecting> sendto>desktop (create shortcut) a desktop shortcut can be created.

Snipping tool.To access click the start button and enter in the search field (another great feature) "snipping tool" without the quotes.
The snipping tool is indeed a great tool to have. It works nicely and the resulting image quality is very good. It works so well that I still haven't installed the screen capture utilities I used to use in WinXP. Actually the snipping tool was introduced with Vista. Perhaps it's because I didn't use Vista very much but I don't see any difference between that version and the one built into Win7. The new stuff I am talking about are major differences or cool things that didn't come with previous Windows OS. Edited by Tushman

The snipping tool is indeed a great tool to have. It works nicely and the resulting image quality is very good. It works so well that I still haven't installed the screen capture utilities I used to use in WinXP. Actually the snipping tool was introduced with Vista. Perhaps it's because I didn't use Vista very much but I don't see any difference between that version and the one built into Win7. The new stuff I am talking about are major differences or cool things that didn't come with previous Windows OS.
I wasn't aware that the snipping tool was introduced with Vista.I completely ignored and avoided Vista depending on XP and various Linux distros (mostly Ubuntu releases) until Win 7 appeared.I guess I missed a lot of stuff that may have originated with Vista.I just couldn't get enthused about Vista.Win 7 has changed all that.

I wasn't aware that the snipping tool was introduced with Vista.I completely ignored and avoided Vista depending on XP and various Linux distros (mostly Ubuntu releases) until Win 7 appeared.I guess I missed a lot of stuff that may have originated with Vista.I just couldn't get enthused about Vista.Win 7 has changed all that.
There were a lot of "goodies" and several new admin tools introduced with Vista. In my opinion, the annoyances far outweighed the benefits of using Vista and I never did care for it. Of course that is debatable and I'm sure one can make a valid argument for the opposite viewpoint and I would probably see their point of view. Nevertheless, Vista remains a dud in my eyes. I still have a genuine copy of Vista in my toolbag that has never been activated or used.Win 7 is what Vista should have been. I'm glad they finally came to their senses and refined it. One of the most prominent improvements is the UAC. The default setting under Win7 is far less annoying to the user while still maintaining a basic level of security. Unlike Vista, I have no problems recommending it to others. Edited by Tushman

There were a lot of "goodies" and several new admin tools introduced with Vista. In my opinion, the annoyances far outweighed the benefits of using Vista and I never did care for it. Of course that is debatable and I'm sure one can make a valid argument for the opposite viewpoint and I would probably see their point of view. Nevertheless, Vista remains a dud in my eyes. I still have a genuine copy of Vista in my toolbag that has never been activated or used.Win 7 is what Vista should have been. I'm glad they finally came to their senses and refined it. One of the most prominent improvements is the UAC. The default setting under Win7 is far less annoying to the user while still maintaining a basic level of security. Unlike Vista, I have no problems recommending it to others.
I'm with you there.I even got my son Chris to upgrade from Vista to Win 7.