Unable to detect fax machine

longgone

Here is the problem and it is across all the OS's I have .. but I'll start with Win 7... I have an HP J4680 Officejet all in one machine. The printer is detected fine, but the fax is not found. I can send/receive fax directly from the machine, I just can't get the computer to see it in the control panel ... and I also have no luck using the software disk to try and detect it either ...

Dale, I've found several problem messages on the net regarding the J4680 and W7.http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...c-baf6dabc0229/(look at the last two posted message for instance, just a couple of days ago. BTW: the mentioned HP C7280 has a fax built in too.)However, I'll try a couple of things...The MS compatibility wizard tells me the J4680 is compatible: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...t&os=32-bitbut needs an updated driver from:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3692888I would uninstall the driver you used from the disk which came with the J4680. (almost always those drivers are too old and already updated the moment you come home with the unit) Next, do you have Windows 7 Fax and Scan installed? If not sure, click Start and in the search box type "Windows 7 Fax and Scan" without the quotes. If installed it will open in a few moments.In that case see if it helps you any further.

Windows 7 Fax and Scan is installed .. I d/l that driver and it installed all except the J4680 printer driver ... so now it is sitting here with the progress bar ,, going and going and going ....

Bummer. Did you uninstall the driver which came with the printer before installing the latest driver from HP, and did you do a reboot in between?Second question: how is the HP connected, USB or something else?

Here is what I did .. control panel>remove program/s>removed all the HP listed items and since the all-in-one is the only HP item that was easy. Downloaded that driver that is listed as complete/full, installed it according to directions .. unplugged the USB cable like it wants, plug it back in when it said to .. and after all is said and done .. everything from the d/l installed EXCEPT I get this error for the very last item "J4680 all in one ...... no driver found"..But, just for drill, I selected a random item to print out and it prints just fine. But when I open up the HP solution center it gives me this error "HP series J4680 all in one not connected".It is connected via USB cable, no outlet for a parallel port connection.

Ok, I've read the above a few times. There is a possibility something has been interfering with the install. HP advises in these circumstances ( and I can personally acknowledge this due to personal experience) to temporary disable the firewall; however, in my case I also had to temporary disable the AV and Windows Defender. (the latter I have disabled and don't use it because the AV handles it.)Question: are you able to pull off a uninstall/reinstall with the downloaded driver and temporary disabling firewall+AV until after the install of the HP suite? (in the mean time you just disconnect from the internet until the firewall and AV have been re-enabled)

I have not yet tried that. That is the next step in this adventure, planned on disconnecting from the web, uninstalling everything, deactivating the anti-virus program for awhile ,, then try it again .... tomorrow .

No luck, uninstalled all the HP programs, deactivated the firewall/anti-virus, disconnected from the web, disconnected the J4680 from the computer, reinstalled, reconnected and I still do not show the fax in the control panel under devices. I also still got the same error, "no driver found". Me thinks I shall be doing a more extensive web search.