Microsoft Office

JerryM

Having tried Open Office for several months I find it does not suit me. Accordingly, I have decided to purhase Microsoft Office Home and Student for 3 computers. Is there any reason to purchase an older edition rather than 2010? I am primarily thinking if I send a document to someone who has an older edition will they be able to open the 2010 doc? The prices are not much different, and I don't want to upgrade in the future.Thanks.I find the cheapest prices on ebay. Anyone have a better source? I am not concerned about buying off ebay. Regards,Jerry

If you need compatibility, get the newer version and set "Save as type" in the Save/Save As dialog to an older style.eg in MS Word set it to "Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)".It worth shelling out a few extra buck to get Office 2010 as opposed to Office 2007, because the Office 2010 Ribbon can be customize to suit your working habits and the Office 2007 Ribbon cannot.

If you need compatibility, get the newer version and set "Save as type" in the Save/Save As dialog to an older style.eg in MS Word set it to "Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)".It worth shelling out a few extra buck to get Office 2010 as opposed to Office 2007, because the Office 2010 Ribbon can be customize to suit your working habits and the Office 2007 Ribbon cannot.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking.Regards,Jerry

Office 2010 Ribbon can be customize to suit your working habits and the Office 2007 Ribbon cannot.
That's incorrect. The ribbon in 2007 can be customized using Visual Studio with XML coding. Granted it's not the easiest to do unless you have some programming background/knowledge - but it can be done. There are also specific add-ons you can purchase.

That's incorrect. The ribbon in 2007 can be customized using Visual Studio with XML coding. Granted it's not the easiest to do unless you have some programming background/knowledge - but it can be done. There are also specific add-ons you can purchase.
It would be out of my league to attempt it. I don't notice that the 2007 is significantly cheaper than2010.Thanks for the help.Regards,Jerry

• 1 month later...
the amount of customization of ms office products is mind-boggling. but, as noted, a programmer you must be...
ahhh......use the 'force' Luke! starwarssmilies.gif Edited by Tushman