Xnoise - New music player for Gtk+

tforsman

copy from site: About xnoise media playerxnoise is a media player for gtk+ xnoise is a media player with a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features.But Unlike Rhythmbox, Banshee or iTunes, xnoise uses a tracklist centric design. The tracklist is a list of video or music tracks that are played one by one without being removed. This gives you the possibility to enqueue any track in any order, regardless if they are on the same album or not. Tracks can be added and reordered at any time via drag and drop.The media browser contains all available media in a hierarchical tree structure using available metadata. It is easy to find a single track, artist or album by going through this tree or by just entering a search term. From the media browser, music or videos can be dragged into the tracklist to every position.Xnoise can play every kind of audio/video data that gstreamer can handle!There is a plugin interface. By now there are already some plugins, e.g. a plugin that downloads cover images from lastFm or one that shows notifications, one that monitores file changes in your local media directory, ...Xnoise is always running in a single instance, so that music files that are associated with it, will always be added to the tracklist instead of starting a new instance.A local database (sqlite3) is used for caching the metadata and media locations. That gives Xnoise a great speed.Song metadata tags are imported via taglib. A search function helps you find artists, albums, and titles in your local media collectionxnoise is written in vala. This means it is compiled to pure Gobject/C and therfore very fast and lightweight compared with other music players written in mono or python.The license of xnoise is GNU GPL v2 or later. There is a license exeption for the distribution together with non-GPL compatible gstreamer plugins.xnoise.pngSite: http://www.xnoise-media-player.com/Picture taken from my blog post about xnoise: http://www.foresightlinux.se/blog/2010/06/...ayer-for-linux/

securitybreach

Wow, Xnoise is in the Archlinux AUR repos. There is even a plugin package available:

╔═ comhack@Venus 10:47 AM ╚═══ ~-> yaourt -Ss xnoiseaur/xnoise 0.1.5-1 (2)	Media player with a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features.aur/xnoise-plugins-core 0.1.5-1 (3)	Plugins for xnoise media player

[tforsman@localhost ~]$ conary q xnoise xnoise-plugins-corexnoise=foresight.rpath.org@fl:2-devel/0.1.5-3-1xnoise-plugins-core=foresight.rpath.org@fl:2-devel/0.1.5-1-1[tforsman@localhost ~]$ added xnoise yesterday in foresight too o:)

securitybreach

Well I installed the program and tried to add my media folder but it did not populate for some reason. I clicked "Add local folder", chose my folder, hit ok and nothing happened. Adding a single song works just fine but I have 130K mp3s. Any ideals?

Well I installed the program and tried to add my media folder but it did not populate for some reason. I clicked "Add local folder", chose my folder, hit ok and nothing happened. Adding a single song works just fine but I have 130K mp3s. Any ideals?
I think i got the same, restarted the application and opened the settings again and added it. And then it worked.Try maybe a smaller folder, i mean a folder with less music in. For testing.

securitybreach

Ok that worked but it would take entirely too long to add folder by folder. I will play around with it some more.EDIT: Actually it does in fact work. It just does not show a progress bar when loading media. I waited a bit and it loaded 500 tracks at once. So it works o:)

That looks pretty cool, I may to check it out. :clap2:
I'm using Mint9 and it isn't in their repos. I tried to install it from the link but got this error message.
/tmp/xnoise_0.1.5-1_i386-2.deb could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences

Mint uses the GDebi Package Installer. Shouldn't that work?

securitybreach

It should of worked Lewmur. I would try downloading it and installing it via the console:

sudo dpkg -i /tmp/xnoise_0.1.5-1_i386-2.deb

or wherever you saved the file to.

It should of worked Lewmur. I would try downloading it and installing it via the console:
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/xnoise_0.1.5-1_i386-2.deb

or wherever you saved the file to.

Hmm!!! Is this only for 32 bit versions? I got this error when attempting to install via a terminal.
package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

securitybreach

I have it installed in Archlinux 64. Let me look and see.It looks as though the deb file is only available in 32bit form but the tar.gz can be built for 64bit.

I have it installed in Archlinux 64. Let me look and see.It looks as though the deb file is only available in 32bit form but the tar.gz can be built for 64bit.
Same here, got 64bit in Foresight.+ update of xnoise:Latest Version: 0.1.6 preThis release contains the following changes:* bugfix for crash on media import with corrupted vorbis headers.* Deactivation of screensavers in fullscreen video mode