9.2 install frying some LG cdrom drives

Bruno

9.2 install potentially frying some LG cdrom drives . . . I start reading alarming raports on coocker and the Mandrake Club site, it seems to become clear that there are potential problems with LG and Compaq cdrom players. Just a few quotes:

DANGEROUS MODELS:  Models that may be affected (note that different firmware revisions may determine whether a specific model is affected or not): COMPAQ CRD-8322B(CP1) (same model, but marked as LG; IBM Aptiva 2158-125) CRD-8400B (Dell Optiplex gx1) CRD-8400B (IBM PC 300 PL) CRD-8400B(mi)/CRD-8400C (COMPAQ) CRD-8402B/LG CRD-8480C (Dell XPS T650r) GCR-8481B (Dell Optiplex gx270; rom 1.06; date: Jun 2003) CRD-8482B (Dell Optiplex GX1) GOLDSTAR CDR-8482B (HP Vectra VL400; firmware 1.01) CRD-8482B (Dell Precision 220; rom 1.05) GCR-8523B (OEM in custom-built computer) GCC 4480B DVD/CD-R/RW/ROM (firmware 1.00; upgrading to 1.01 seems to workaround the problem) COMPAQ DRN8040B DVD/CD-ROM (Compaq M700 laptop) Specific models that are affected (note that different firmware revisions may determine whether a specific model is affected or not, also note that we currently do not have the firmware revision numbers of these models): GRC-8521B CRD-8522B CRD-8521B CRD-8520B CRD-8483B CRD-8480C CRD-8480B CRD-8400C CRD-8400B CRD-8322B CRD-8320B CRD-8240B CRD-8241B CRD-8160B CRD-8161B CRN-8240E GCD-R580B GCD-R560B GCD-R542B GCD-R540C GCD-R540B GCD-R520B GCD-R420B GCD-R400B GCD-R320B GCD-R300B GCD-R200B GCR-8523B firmware 1.00   For the moment, it seems it's related to LG CRD-84xx drives.   You can have exact model name of your cdrom by looking at the  corresponding proc file. For example, if your CDROM is the first  IDE medium of your second IDE adapter, its name is "hdc" and you  can do the following to see the model:    cat /proc/ide/hdc/model     Please, every people with an LG model who already installed 9.2  (download or powerpack), please report the model of your LG  drive, and whether it's still alive or not . Please ask that  also to your friends who don't read cooker/expert lists. Also, in  the following days, one might consider not installing 9.2 with LG  drives, until we can provide a workaround to the problem.  
It does have a few good things not to be the first to install the new 9.2 B) B) :w00t: BrunoList updated Oct 29 2003

Ouch. I have a "LG CD-ROM CRD-8522B" on my Linux Desktop system. Close enough in model to worry.Hopefully by the time 9.2 is generally available this problem will be resolved.

Hi Owyn,I´m glad I posted this message then . . . . can you replace it with another model just for the install ?? As far as I can see it´s only during install, and if you use that drive for the install.To everybody: please do acat /proc/ide/hdc/model before you start.B) Bruno

UPDATE:Reported to work without troubles:

O.K. MODELS: LG-based CD-ROMs reported to be unaffected: LG GMA-4020B DVD-RW LG GCC-4120B CD-RW/DVD LG CED-8080B DVD/CD-R/RW/ROM LG CED-8120B CD-RW LG GSA-4040B DVD+-RW/RAM HL-DT-ST GCC-4480B CD-RW/DVD (make sure you use firmware 1.01 not 1.00) HL-DT-ST GDR8186B DVD-ROM HL-DT-ST GCE-8240B CD-RW HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B CD-RW HL-DT-ST GCR-8520B CD-ROM HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B CRD-8322B CRD-8400B CRD-8400C CRD-8402B CRD-8480C GCR-8481B CRD-8482B CRD-8522B firmware 1.02 GCC-4480B Models reported by HP Labs to be unaffected: GDR-8161B firmware 0037 GCR-8482B firmware 1.03 GDR-8162B firmware 0018 CED-8120B firmware 1.09 GCC-4480B firmware 1.12 GCR-8520B firmware 1.05 GCR-8480B firmware 1.03 GCE-8483B firmware 1.01
( I will add in this post the numbers of trouble free to come in, and add in the 'blacklist' above too )B) Bruno

Hi Zox As far as I can see your LG DVD Burner 4040B is not on the blacklist . . . ( all of them have 8xxx numbers so far ) ;) Bruno

nlinecomputers
That is one of the more bizarre bugs I think I have ever seen. Especially for such a common piece of hardware. Any ideas what caused this?
Ditto,I never seen SOFTWARE that could fubar a CD-ROM before. Is this drive flash upgradable or something? Is the damage burnt circuts or is in some kind of eprom that needs to be reflashed? This is very odd. I'm not sure that I would have believed this if it not come from Mandrake themselves.

Hi StryderSome talk about DMA and disabling it, some talk about cheap hardware or 'old and used' wear and tear ;), playing +650MB CD´s on hardware that can only do 650 . . . . well all kind of wild speculations about the kernel, but no serious answer to the question you and many of us are asking.My guess would be that this Drake is just too hot for CD drives made on Monday morning . . . . :DB) Bruno

So, is the damage being done on the burning step or the install step? Perhaps the software causes the drives to spin faster than they were designed for? I have an LG CD-WR drive and it might be on the list. I doubt I'll do any damage burning, so I'll just switch to my other drive for the install at work. I've got a Memorex at home, so I shouldn't have problems there.I got my sound card just in time for this! ;)

Greg,It seems they get fried at install only, so replacing it for the install only would be sufficient.I will place an updated list in a few minutes, working on it.:lol: Bruno

Well, I was daring and decided to install with the LG.It went fine, I REALLY like the look of the LILO.HL-DT ST CD-RW GCE-8400BThe above is the LG drive in my work computer. So, add one more to the OK list.

CONGRATS GREG !!! Thanks for the update, I will add it to the list !Yep Lilo and the bootsplash are really nice !UPDATES ;)B) Bruno

Hot from the cooker mailing list

Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mandrakesoft.com> writes:> For the moment, it seems it's related to LG CRD-84xx drives.Ok, here's status: Nicolas Planel found the origin of theproblem. It's the "packet writing support" for cd/dvd burnersthat was introduced on 15th of August, changelog reading:- 2.4.22-rc2q5.      [...]  * add packet cdvd support (svetoslav).What amazes me is that we've had it in the kernel of 9.2-RC1 and9.2-RC2, and it still managed to be, erhm, "featured", in thefinal version. All people who say we should do more beta and RCversions see that such a big problem passed one month ofRC-testing... Real problem would perhaps be to enlarge ourtesting community? Anyway, that's not the topic for this day ;).I've passed suggestions to our management as to what to do now -I think we should act *fast* and be responsible, but I don't knowwhat will be decided exactly.By the way, latest list:fried:COMPAQ CRD-8322B(CP1)CRD-8400B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx1)CRD-8400B (machine: IBM PC 300 PL)CDR-8400B(mi)CRD-8400CCOMPAQ CRD-8402BLG CRD-8480C (machine: Old Dell XPS T650r)GCR-8481B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx270; rom: 1.06; date: jun 2003)CRD-8482B (machine: Dell Optiplex GX1)GOLDSTAR CDR-8482B (machine: HP Vectra VL400; firmware: 1.01)CRD-8482B (Dell Precision 220, rom: 1.05)LG ???? (machine: HP Vectras VL4xx)GCC 4480B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROM (firmware 1.00 - upgrading firmware to 1.01 workarounds problem)work:LG GMA-4020B DVD-RWLG GCC-4120B CDRW/DVDLG CD-RW CED-8080B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROMLG CD-RW CED-8120B (motherboard: ASUS K7M)HL-DT-ST GCC-4480B (machine: Shuttle SB 62 G2 - i865/ICH5; firmware 1.01 - WARNING, firmware 1.00 is reported to have the fry problem!)HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe)HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8161B (motherboard: Soyo)HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240BHL-DT-ST GCE-8481B CD-CDRW (chipset: SIS 651/962)HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520BHL-DT-ST GCE-8520B (motherboard: ASUS P4P800)-- Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/

nlinecomputers

I don't follow that list. Has anyone stated what exact damage this does to the drive? I.E. is the drive repairable? Is this a defect in the drive that needs to be blamed on LG(IMO YES!) or is this a fault on Mandrake's part.

Owyn,Thanks ! I updated the lists on page 1 . . . better have it mentioned twice to be sure !Nathan,They are still investigating . . . still too early to give the blame to anyone . . . ;)o:) Bruno

It has now been confirmed that the problem is caused by a bug in the LG firmware. A command was misused which caused the 84xx drives to be corrupted in the CD DETECT phase of the install. One CDRW using rev 1.0 firmware was corrupted. It was fixed by going to rev 1.01 firmware.Still don't know what Mandrake is going to do about the problem. Have to wait and see.You can check your drives model and firmware by using the following command. Replace "hdc" with the appropriate dev id for your CD./sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdcPS: Don't fool around with the hdparm command. I found at least one way to trash a CD drive using the command. The info option is however safe.PPS: No I am not telling. If you really want to find out how, do your own research. Some info is better not published. >_<

Hi Owyn,Yes hdparm is a powerful command and can do funny things to your hardware . . . for the members that got curious and like to live dangerously, Tip: hdparm :DB) Bruno