802.11g vs. 802.11n

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Hello everyone. The church I go to wants to implement wifi and I'm not sure whether use g or n routers. A little info for you:The church has a pretty large square footage (I don't know how much) so more than one router will be needed to cover the entire building.They already have a wired infrastructure so no problems there.Picture a long rectangular building. On one end of the building are the administrative offices. Right next to those is the chapel, and then on the other side of the chapel is a large gym. Initially we just want to have wifi on the end of the building with the administrative offices, but they'd also like the signal to reach into the chapel and into a specific room next to the chapel as well.What I'm wondering is if the n technology is supposed to push the signal further out than the g technology, possibly making it more accessible to devices from a greater distance. I'm honestly thinking that we may need to use some sort of external antenna or repeater or something. This is where I get lost and need your help. Any thoughts?

You do not have to choose between a Wireless-G and Wireless-N router. Some wireless routers, like the Linksys WRT610N, are dual-band (2.4 and 5GHz). These are able to handle N and G devices/clients simultaneously. If the router range becomes a problem, you can always add wireless repeaters.

telecomguy9

How about powerline Ethernet as an option using wireless powerline technology? Someone in another forum offered that as an option. Ever seen it in use?

I bought a NetGear model XAVB2001 Powerline AV 2000 two weeks ago to replace the linksys wifi dongle my husband was using in the basement (computer is 75' away as the crow flies) to connect to the linksys WRT54G (v2) router.It is working very well. His dongle dropped the signal too many times lately. We are pleased with the way it is working. (Be sure not to try and save money by buying an older 85Mbps unit. If you are looking, look at the 200 Mbps models).One thing, both outlets MUST be on the same circuit. You need to check the breaker box to be sure of this. You also are advised not to put the units on a power strip but plug directly into the outlet. The unit is about the size of a deck of cards, a bit squarer, and will cover a few outlets. Fortunately, I have a unit in which the outlets rotate so I have not lost any of the 5 other outlets.This is what I meanhttp://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=17698

Guest LilBambi

Depending on where you live, the type of HVAC, and other 'noisy' things, I would think that in a church situation, it might not work as well as true WiFi protected network, IMHO.