Unable to network

Carnage_7

I have been attempting to create a small home network (without success) between my computer (WinXP Pro) and two other computers in the house which are running Windows 2000 Pro. I have had no success whatsoever in my attempts to network the 3 computers. Can't see mine from Win2000 Computers and can't see Win2000 computers from mine. All 3 have the same name. My ISP is Roadrunner so operate under a LAN. Also use a router for all 3 computers. I haven't been able to find anything using Google which will give me a step-by-step procedure for networking WinXP to Win2000 computers. When I right-click "Local Area Connection", I am showing the following items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6, NW Link NetBios, NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport Protocol, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.Frank FowlkesEl Paso, Texas

Hi Frank,Welcome to the Forums!Can you give us more details about your setup, please. When you indicate you are using a router I am to presume you mean something like the Linksys BEFSRx or D-Link 604-I or similar? Are each host using DHCP from the router to get their IP addresses? You say that they all have the same name, meaning the same hostname? Can you give each one a unique name, instead? Also, we should simplify your networking protocols. First, the only protocol you should have is TCP/IP with NetBIOS over TCP/IP option checked on. Remove the Microsoft IPv6 and IPX/SPX protocols. Lastly, make sure each host has a user account that is the same on each machine, with the same password.Let us know how it works out.