Testing Sig & Avatar

Corrine

Welcome, Corrine. The avatar looks nice. Does it go by any other name? (Sorry, couldn't resist ;) ).If you'd prefer, you can use the "http://" tag for your sig, which will allow you to give it a name, instead of "user posted image". On the sig page, click on "http://", enter the URL, then call it by name in the following box.Again, we're glad to have you participate in the SFNL forums.

Thanks for the welcome! Its appreciated. Ah, Jeber, since a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, you can take it from there ;) . Sonic Dragon, from what I've already read of Jeber's posts, I think his Avatar suits him just fine.As far as the sig, I used bbcode but the image only displays when I first add it in the control panel. Is displaying an image as a URL link against the rules here?

[URL=http://www.freedomlist.com/forum][IMG=http://www.freewebs.com/freedomlist/FLgreyLogo.gif][/URL]

Guest LilBambi

Hi and welcome Corrine!The Forum Rules do not prohibit images in sigs but do restrict the size of sigs in file size and dimension as noted below:

10. Images in signatures, commonly referred to as SIGs, are permitted in these forums. But please be considerate of other forum members. Large SIGs are considered rude by many, both because they require additional scrolling and more bandwidth to load. Text-only SIGs are preferred. Images used in SIGs are limited to 20K in file size. The overall dimensions may not exceed 300 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall. A moderator may contact you if your SIG exceeds any of these sizes or the spirit of this rule.
Regarding your code, it should work but doesn't, unless I am reading the code incorrectly. The picture loads fine in a browser, so not sure??I also tried the picture by itself in the body of a message and it still doesn't work that way either.Interesting.I am moving this thread to the Forum Feedback so Arena2045 and Scot can take a look at why it may not work and whether this is normal using that specific code with links to two different domains. But I tried the link to the picture itself and it did'nt like it that way either.* Moved to Forum Feedback

The problem could be: the server that is hosting the file does not allow external linking. Since the image is being called from the forum it wont display… but if you copy/paste the URL in the browser it will load. Often time servers do this to reduce extra bandwidth usage when people link to a image instead of hosting it on their own site.Try hosting the image on a different server and try again. The syntax is correct, just host it elsewhere.

Hello again,I read the FAQ’s at the site that is hosting your image… They clearly say that this type of linking is NOT permitted unless you pay for a premium service.

Can I hotlink images? Can I put Images or files on my FreeWebs account and have them available from other sites?Hotlinking means storing an image on one web account and linking directly to it from another website.  This is also referred to as Image hosting.  Some users wish to have their images available to link to from other webpages such as eBay or from their discussion boards.  FreeWebs prevents this type of use as our primary purpose is to provide web hosting.  However, for those users who do wish to use FreeWebs as an image host as well, we have made available Webzoom which will permit your files to be hotlinked and will also increase their bandwidth speed.  You can sign up for Webzoom from your Premium Services area after logging into your FreeWebs account.
Source : http://members.freewebs.com/faqs.jsp

They clearly say that this type of linking is NOT permitted unless you pay for a premium service.
Yea, that's true of almost every free server out there. Good call Arena!BTW, nice new avatar Arena B)

They clearly say that this type of linking is NOT permitted unless you pay for a premium service.
Yea, that's true of almost every free server out there. Good call Arena!BTW, nice new avatar Arena ;)
SonicDragon,Yeah, the first thing that came to mind, was that the host doesn't allow external linking, and that appeared to be the case according to their FAQ section.About my new avatar: Thanks! If you haven't guessed, I'm a recent 'switcher.' :D :D

Hello again,I read the FAQ’s at the site that is hosting your image… They clearly say that this type of linking is NOT permitted unless you pay for a premium service.
Can I hotlink images? Can I put Images or files on my FreeWebs account and have them available from other sites?Hotlinking means storing an image on one web account and linking directly to it from another website.  This is also referred to as Image hosting.  Some users wish to have their images available to link to from other webpages such as eBay or from their discussion boards.  FreeWebs prevents this type of use as our primary purpose is to provide web hosting.  However, for those users who do wish to use FreeWebs as an image host as well, we have made available Webzoom which will permit your files to be hotlinked and will also increase their bandwidth speed.  You can sign up for Webzoom from your Premium Services area after logging into your FreeWebs account.
Source : http://members.freewebs.com/faqs.jsp
icon_redface.gif Oops! That was a novice mistake and I should have thought of it myself. Sorry for the inconvenience. At least one good thing came out of my error -- the link to Village Photos in the related thread. Thanks for the help!