Can't extra digital audio from my CDROM at > 6x

jeffw_00

That should read CANT EXTRACT DIGITAL......This board should have an edit-title function, or at least a delete thread function....Anyway...------------------------------Hi - I have been discussing a problem I had in the "problems' section (What keeps my "52x" burner below 8x?). Recently one of the moderators moved the thread here for some reason - but no one should have to bore through 3 pages of posts (and partial successes!) to get to the simple remaining outstanding questionI have a TOSHIBA XM-6702 CD-ROM. Though I can extract data from it 9now) at high (25x+) rates, I can't extract audio (music CD) data from it at more than 6x. I have DMA enabled, and I have tried the 'super' drivers for my motherboard (Via -= the miniport IDE Driver). I also checked the Toshiba website -where it says no special drivers are available or needed.Would it be uncommon for this to be an intrinsic drive limitation - or does someone have something else I can try?Thanks!/j

Download THIS and choose the first and the last tracks of an audio CD. After it's done post your speed. My Plex 12X/10/32 shows 19. My Samsung 16X/48 DVD does 13. Note the 32X Plex rips audio considerably faster than the 48X DVD.This is actually a ripping program, so delete the wavs it creates when done.

If you think it's a hardware issue you could try updating your ASPI and ATAPI drivers.Toshiba-Europe has drivers for its CD/DVD products. It's on this page:http://www.toshiba-europe.com/diskproducts...entre/index.aspAlso consider the possibility that it could be a software problem. Try swapping to see if another CD/DVD device performs better under the same setup. Or try the Toshiba drive on another computer to see if it performs differently.

I can't reach that Website, but it says herehttp://sdd.toshiba.com/cda/main.aspx?Path=...000659c000003caThat... ATAPI CD-ROM and DVD DriversToshiba's CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not require any unique device drivers for Windows '95/'98/2000/XP/NT. After installing your drive and re-booting, your system should recognize your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.Win '95/'98/2000/XP/NT Operating Systems support all Toshiba ATAPI CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives natively. so I question whether there are truly any Toshiba drivers for my unit.I'll try that link again tomorrow