Upgrading My Ram

BDB

I have a Dell 8100, P4, 1.4, running W2K and I want to upgrade the ram. I need Rambus and would like to know what brand the members consider to be the best and where did you buy your Ram .

Although it's not the cheapest (but it is competitive), I always buy my RAM from crucial.com. The impressed me a few years ago when I had trouble finding a SODIMM stick for an old Compaq Precarious laptop. They had it when everyone else didn't. I recommend them to everyone.my 2centstbird

Yup, Crucial is said to have a good reputation.Kingston is also supposed to be a very reputable RAM distributer.Even better, buy it from the same manufacturer as your system (see Link to RAM for your system). This way, they have to guarantee that it will work with your system, and they can't jump through support hoops saying "oh, we didn't manufacturer that, so we can't support it...blah blah blah)

Only problem is that Crucial doesn't sell Rambus RDRAM because they don't like Rambus. Kingston on the other hand does sell it.

A friend of mine might be willing to sell his no longer needed RamBus RAM if you are insterested. It was for his 8100 I believe. It is 256MB. He is away on Vacation but I can ask next week. Chris

Only problem is that Crucial doesn't sell Rambus RDRAM because they don't like Rambus. Kingston on the other hand does sell it.
Hmmm....another reason not to go with Intel....AMD roolz!!!! :P :) :) ;) ;)

I have Samsung in my Dell system and it works fine. I believe all Dells use ECC RAMBUS, so make sure you get this. It is usually a few dollars more expensive. You also need to get the speed right (600, 700, 800 or 1066). I'm not sure that you can upgrade to a higher speed on a Dell system and might run into BIOS problems. And you don't want problems because if yo uhave to call for Dell "support", you will likely find yourself SOL.Look at the system manual for your box and verify how many slots you have for memory (probably two, I would guess). Each stick needs to be the same speed, size and type. Because Rambus memory is fairly expensive, 256MB should be more than adequate (I have 256MB running WinXP Pro) and don't have any issues with that amount being too small. So you might want to look for two 128MB sticks. If you already have 256MB, then you'll need 2 256MB sticks.Here is a link to check prices:http://www.ibuyer.net/speedy3d/category.html?cid=849You can also check Craig's list or eBay for used memory. Usually it will be OK, but if you run into a problem, the dollars you save over new memory might not be worth the grief.

Hmmm....another reason not to go with Intel....AMD roolz!!!! :P  ;)  ;)  :lol:  :lol:
Happy with my XP 1300+ for half a year now :)(my laptop's an intel, but it's harder to find AMD's in laptops when I'm being very specific about brandname)