Any Thoughts on Updating Forum

havnblast

Scot have you given any thought to updating to 1.2 yet? I just updated my 1.1.2 forum to the newest release which is 1.3 pre release 2 and it went without a problem. Just don't mess with the conf_global.php file.I updated to 1.2 first since you have to run the upgrade5.php for that install and than installed the 1.3, which requires a upgrade6.php. I also updated my 1.2 forum to 1.3 and no problems there either. Just curious if your going to or not. I think many here would be happy with a forum update. :ph34r:

Guest genaldar

See the problem is that the update5.php has a flange broken and it'll be in the shop for a week. And everybody knows that you can't run update6.php without running update5.php since update6.php has a weak rocker arm and she's liable to blow if you stress her too much.

Kelly,The upgrade is in the works, but both Arena2045 and Scot have been very busy lately with school and work, so it hasn't happened yet. Arena is working on gettting the skins to render properly before we upgrade. It is something we're working toward and should happen fairly soon, although I can't give you a target date. B)

Havnblast, given the fact that 1.3 is on the way ... it's hard to get excited about 1.2, which numerous people -- including Arena2045 -- have had some trouble with. The big sticking point right now is the forum skins. Josh has run into troubles with them. And we're going to wait for that. Since he did all the skins we have now, I think he's the right man for the job.After that, I have to get my designer to do logos that fit the new board logo size/shape. But that's relatively easy.We could use your help and suggestions about the forum software, any issue you ran into, advice, and so on though!-- Scot

Are the skins really that important? If you don't like the default installation colors you can edit the .CSS file to the colors you want till skins are installed. I think the updated software would be more important than skins. I see time is being spent on changing things here in 1.1.2, so why not bump up.I'm not sure how the install of 1.3 will go for boards of 1.1.2 - to go to 1.2 requires a seperate upgrade script and than another to get to 1.3 pre-release. They might make a upgrade script to jump from 1.1.2 to 1.3 - who knows. I think it is easier to upgrade a little at a time than to have to make major jumps and having more problems. Just my opinion.What problems have people been running into? To upgrade to current version it don't take but 1/2 hour at the most. Upload the said files and run the upgrade script - nothing else to do, just don't mess with the config_global file - that is a disaster if you do, that was my mistake the first time.As far as logo - an idea would be to hold a open to all create a logo for the forum. Have people design up a logo and see how creative they can be. I am sure there is plenty of talented people here that would enjoy designing a logo header for the forum. All graphics submitted would be yours to keep. People submitting graphics would have to understand that.I think a lot of members here are available and willing to help without having to get designers, lawyers or any other outside sources. I hope you consider the resources of the forum if you need help. I know I don't plan on going anywhere, just give me a hollar with whatever ya need help with. I'm not an expert, but know enough to be dangerous :(

Havnblast,Thanks for offering to help!Here is the lowdown on why we haven’t upgraded yet…We are thrilled by the way the community has grown in the short amount of time that it’s been online. We (Scot and the entire Mod Squad) want the community to continue without troubles.Yeah, we have seen a lot of errors recently, but those were caused server side, not the forum install. We just want to wait and upgrade at our own pace. When I upgraded my community I wasn’t to thrilled when I found out that Invision left out some important warnings about the upgrade procedure. Their lack of proper installation instructions caused me to loose my entire community, and spend an entire day and a half to restore it back to normal… we don’t want that to happen here.There is also the issue of time; both Scot and I have been extremely busy recently… Also when we upgrade, we want the community to look as it does now, thus we want to have a few different sets of skins available. We will upgrade… just later.