Slave Hard Drive Size Not Fully Recognized

biday77

I have a very peculiar hard drive problem which has me completely stumped.My new system specs are Gigabyte K7T Triton (Via KT 600 chipset),XP 2500,512 MB Kingston PC 2700 memory,two identical Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB cache 7200 hard drives,CDRW,DVD Rom,Gainward GeForce2 Ti450 video card, SB live 5.1 and Windows XP Pro.The two hard drives were in my previous set up. I changed my system due to a motherboard failure. The hard drives worked fine and do so in my new setup except for the fact that whichever hard drive is in the Slave position is recognized by the BIOS and Windows as only 32.5 GB in size. Presently this drive is one large partition. The BIOS is set to Auto Detect the hard drives.When I first set up this new system my present Master was the Slave, It was not fully recognized as 80 GB,so I disconnected this drive,and made the other drive the Master,with the "first" drive disconnected.The Win XP Pro installation process somehow fixed the size (I wish I could remember exactly how) and it was then recognized as 80 GB. I installed Windows XP Pro and set up three partitions. My problem is that the other,the "first" Masterhard drive is now in the Slave position and is only seen as 32 MB. I have double checked both drives' jumpers and cables. I am really fearful of doing anything which might impair my present Master drive for it took me many hours to set it up.I am at a loss as to how to proceed to get the second HD seen at it's 80 GB size or what and where this problem originates. I need it to backup over 54GB of music,etc. This is my first Gigabyte motherboard.I could realy use some help with this. I have mailed Gigabyte tech support but have no answer yet.Also the system does not shut down except by holding the power button for 4 seconds (after clicking Shut Down)If I don't use the Power button the system will restart Windows. This "button shut" down works OK--no data loss or boot up problems the next time I start up,but I have always had the screen Shut Down power off the system automatically.Any detailed help will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried setting up the 2nd HD as master on IDE #2 so see if it is recognized as 80g? You can always set your CDRW - DVD as slaves.Have you checked the Giga site for a BIOS update?Did you use the setup disk that came with the Maxtor drive to format it - if you didn't get a disk you can download MaxPlus 3 from their site. Let us know what happens. :lol:

What was your old Mobo? The setting on BIOS for the hard drives might have been set differently than the "Auto" setting in the Gigabyte's BIOS.For instance if LBA was used vs CHS. I had a Promise ATA-PCI adapter that came with a WD hard drive that I did not use until recently the drive it came with was on a Siig pci-ata133 card but when on the Promise it was reported as only 120GB not 200GB. You might want to try putting in an add-on card to see if it sees the correct format of the drive before you get to far. If it was CHS and your BIOS is trying to use LBA then you could have data loss if you do much of anything to the drive.Also did you use the MaxBlast software to set up the drive when it was new? Good idea not to unless you have no choice. With Win2000/XP the install proceedure knows how to partition so the MaxBlast is no needed.Chris

I would suggest you to check your BIOS and make sure Plug and Play System is set to "No".With that check if you have "APM" (Advanced Poer Management) installed , if not you can install it by going to Add/Remove Windows Components.That shoud take care of your Shutdown button.For the drive, from your post I can only assume that you have both drives on the same cable.Did you try changing slave to "Cable Select" instead of slave?If not maybe you can try, it will not destroy anything and it is safe to do.Maybe if you disconnect both DVD and CD and put second drive on second IDE channel fixes the problem so at least temporary you can copy and backup your stuff and than proceed without fear ;)