I did it! I found a Linux that works well with Laptops.

onederer

Onederer,Have you tried to set up using CUPS rather than the Mandriva Control Center? Just click this link to get to CUPS:http://localhost:631/Once it loads, just click Administration --> Add Printer --> type in root/password --> follow along...
As I wrote before, there is NO CUPS in what I happen to have. The download's Sha1 was correct.

Thank you all. I appreciate you input. However, I think that Mandriva made a BOOBOO. First they supply a full version of Linux, but without any codex's and non-free applications. Now, that makes life that much more difficult, and takes that much more setup effort to do normal computing. Then they provide Mandriva ONE, which is just a very basic OS, with codecs and non-free applications. What was wrong with Mandriva to prodide a full version of Mandriva ONE, thus eliminating most of the now existing problems? As I've stated before, at my stage of life, after all these years of using Linux, I no longer want to be a Linux mechanic. I want a system that is fully functional, as advertised. Sadly, Mandrive ONE did not deliver on this. But much to my surprise, it was capable of providing a useful and workable wireless setup application, that didn't provide any grief while using it. Instead, it was the printer function which was the let-down. So to become a user again (and not a fixer-upper), I've made up my mind to go back to the only OS that I've found so far, that's as close to flawless as possible, and that is DesktopBSD. Too bad that it was abandoned by it's developer. But the consolation is that the GUI will always stay the same, but the underpinnings is easily upgradeable from the FreeBSD repositories. If you happen to find another Linux OS that is laptop wireless-setup friendly, and all applications are 100% functional right after the download, I'd very much like to hear about it, and try it. That's what I've been looking for by trying different versions of Linux, since I got out of the hospital. One of them was easy and great in the "Live" version, but corrupt when trying to install the "installable" version. Many of them were great in a desktop environment, but the setup application for wireless either didn't work, was laptop hostile, or was incomplete.Thanks for all your comeback. I look forward and hope to read more from you who use laptops, and what you've found, and tried.Cheers!Thank you all. I appreciate you input. However, I think that Mandriva made a BOOBOO. First they supply a full version of Linux, but without any codex's and non-free applications. Now, that makes life that much more difficult, and takes that much more setup effort to do normal computing. Then they provide Mandriva ONE, which is just a very basic OS, with codecs and non-free applications. What was wrong with Mandriva to prodide a full version of Mandriva ONE, thus eliminating most of the now existing problems? As I've stated before, at my stage of life, after all these years of using Linux, I no longer want to be a Linux mechanic. I want a system that is fully functional, as advertised. Sadly, Mandrive ONE did not deliver on this. But much to my surprise, it was capable of providing a useful and workable wireless setup application, that didn't provide any grief while using it. Instead, it was the printer function which was the let-down. So to become a user again (and not a fixer-upper), I've made up my mind to go back to the only OS that I've found so far, that's as close to flawless as possible, and that is DesktopBSD. Too bad that it was abandoned by it's developer. But the consolation is that the GUI will always stay the same, but the underpinnings is easily upgradeable from the FreeBSD repositories. If you happen to find another Linux OS that is laptop wireless-setup friendly, and all applications are 100% functional right after the download, I'd very much like to hear about it, and try it. That's what I've been looking for by trying different versions of Linux, since I got out of the hospital. One of them was easy and great in the "Live" version, but corrupt when trying to install the "installable" version. Many of them were great in a desktop environment, but the setup application for wireless either didn't work, was laptop hostile, or was incomplete.Thanks for all your comeback. I look forward and hope to read more from you who use laptops, and what you've found, and tried.Cheers!

securitybreach

Well you have to remember these codecs and non-free program are not GPLd. The regular Free version only contains 100% free software so that is the reason why no flash or codecs. You have two choices, either manually install them or pay for the PowerPack edition. http://www2.mandriva.com/linux/which/Note some distros do include the proprietary codecs and plugins like LinuxMint and PCLinuxOS but most require you to install these programs after installation. They can not legally include these in the default installation. So do not blame linux but blame proprietary software instead. Most of the time it is very simple to install the codecs but you will not normally find them preinstalled. For instance in Arch, all you have to do to get all the codecs is:

pacman -S gstreamer0.10-{base,good,bad,ugly}-plugins gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

As far as the wifi, I really do not understand why you have so many issues. I have not had a wireless problem in years since most of the drivers are included in the kernel anyway.

Well you have to remember these codecs and non-free program are not GPLd. The regular Free version only contains 100% free software so that is the reason why no flash or codecs. You have two choices, either manually install them or pay for the PowerPack edition. http://www2.mandriva.com/linux/which/Note some distros do include the proprietary codecs and plugins like LinuxMint and PCLinuxOS but most require you to install these programs after installation. They can not legally include these in the default installation. So do not blame linux but blame proprietary software instead. Most of the time it is very simple to install the codecs but you will not normally find them preinstalled. For instance in Arch, all you have to do to get all the codecs is:
pacman -S gstreamer0.10-{base,good,bad,ugly}-plugins gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

As far as the wifi, I really do not understand why you have so many issues. I have not had a wireless problem in years since most of the drivers are included in the kernel anyway.

Hi, The issues that I have with the WIFI's is that in most instances, the so called GUI WIFI setup application wasn't working. I perfectly understand about setting up in text mode. but that takes up a long time. In the GUI mode, if the setup application is well designed, all that needs to be done is to give it the security key, the network ESSID, and the password. No messing around with NDIS, or those other other WIFI applications. The computer is well designed to have that capability to do that drudge work behind the scenes. If I were there with you, I could show you how some of them work like a charm, and those that do a half ... job, and the ones that don't work at all. It's not that easy to describe the situation by writing it on a computer screen. The contrast with WIFI and Ethernet, is for Ethernet, just plug it in, and it simply works! It doesn't matter which board is in the machine. However for WIFI, it is not simply just plug-and-play. It usually takes a lot more effort than that. Cheers!

securitybreach

Hmm, with most gui apps that I have used I do not have to do anything besides enter the network key. Maybe you should try another network manager. There has to be one that will work on your specific hardware. Do not give up, we will find something that works for you.

New development!As I wrote before, it's made years ago which was the last time that I visited Mandriva (Mandrake). Well, just before I was about to wipe out my Mandriva hard drive, I looked in the computer configuration application again. Initially I had thought that I had all the repositories listed, but then again, by curiosity, I clicked on the "add" button. Lo and behold, more repositories became available. And it was those that I needed to get the printing function running. I tried to download HPLIP from the repository, but it didn't seem to take. However, I managed to download the HAL/Cups application, and the other missing applications that would make printing posssible. I also downloaded other things that I commonly use. Then I closed the MMC, and started up the Computer Setup Application, and went to the printer setup section. I sucessfully was able to get one network HP All-In-One printer to operate (printing wise). Not so sucessful with the other printer. I then tried to get the scanning function going, and it told me to use the printer function, instead. I was not able to accomplish that. Only printing was supported. So, I've had to satisfy myself with only one working printer. The other with the FAX and SCAN capability couldn't produce a normal test sheet. That printer application is weird! It is not what I'm used to seeing. I was looking for a button or something that would allow me to delete the printer that's not putting out a decent test sheet, and to try again. Couldn't find one. The printer test sheets look way overly simple as to what I've seen in the past with other Linux OS's.So, based on this change of venue, I'll try Mandriva ONE a little bit longer. I had warned you guys that I forgot a lot about Mandriva. And I extend to you all my apologies for my ignorance. The knowledge will slowly come back to me, and in the meantime, at least I have a functioning Mandriva Linux OS that I can use. You're a wonderful bunch. Thanks!

securitybreach

If cups is running, put this in your browser's address bar: http://localhost:631/This will open up the CUPS admin page. There you can start/stop jobs and do other various things like add printers, etc.Here is a screenshot of mine:7018d271503337.gifGlad you decided to stay :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

No need to apologize for rustiness or lack of knowledge around here, Onederer. It's been three years or more since I had Mandriva on my system... and it was only for a while back then, so I'm probably the most inexperienced Mandy user around here. :thumbsup:

securitybreach

I got you beat Eric, I have not ran Mandriva since it was known as Mandrake. I installed it once or twice since but replaced it rather quickly.

V.T. Eric Layton

It was on my system back in '07 for a while, but according to my notes, I was having some Java and Flash issues with FF and some other probs. I don't remember it being on my system for long.

Man, changes in "look and feel" of tools in distros can be a nerve racker..it's not that it harder, it's soooo different from what your use to that it might as well be different language. I know it drive me nuts sometimes..As for scanning, you could try(if you haven't already)MCC>>hardware>> Set-up scanner>> it should ask to add some packages>>and follow the promptslonger way is MCC>>>install/remove packages>>>meta packages>>>system>>>printing, then look for Task-Printing-Scanning(if the check box isn't checked, check it and hit apply)it should add..libsane-hpaio1-3.10.2-1mdv2010.1.i586saned-1.0.20-10mdv2010.1.i586xinetd-2.3.14-10mdv2010.0.i586xsane-0.997-1mdv2010.1.i586then try setting up to scan againOn the printer that isn't showing up..if you know the ip address of it(I'm assuming it's in the 192.168.x.xxx range) go to MCC>>>hardware>>>add printers..., in the next box click add,highlight find network printer>>>you should get a data box to the right, type in the IP address and click find(make sure the printer is on) it "should find the printer..then click forward, and follow the step to add the driver. Hopefully that will allow you to add your other printer.or use the CUPS GUI one of the methods should be able to find that other printerWay to hang in there!!!

Boy! Christopher Columbus never had better than this. To clarify one thing, both printers showed up in the HP listings. HPLIP never took as it was installed from the MCC. Also, I was simply dumbfounded by the overly simplified test printout (it looked like someone kluged it together in half-hour). And the overall printer application was quite naked in appearance. It could only handle printing functions. This didn't do credit to multi-function HP printers. No capability to easily setup scanning, copying, or faxing. The scanning function kept on deferring me back to the printer function to enable scanning. But there was nothing there to make that happen. Anyway, I was not happy as to the sloppy looks of the test printout for the second HP printer. In the back of my mind, I felt that there was something wrong there, or something was broken in the application.I decided to go on the Web to download the full version of HPLIP. I went to Sourceforge.net. and entered "HPLIP" in the file search box. It led me to the proper web page. I downloaded the whole application to my hard drive, then searched the location of the downloaded file. I activated the command prompt, and cd'd to that directory. I changed the HPLIP installation application into an executable file, and ran it. Things were going okay until it got to a certain point. It stopped and told me that there is a dependency problem, and a file was missing. So I went into the MCC and downloaded that file, and went back to the HPLIP installation application. I ran it again. Again it halted with a message of a missing dependency. So I performed the above steps again. This kept on going to a point that seemed endless. Then when it told me that the usb-dev was missing, and it showed in the MCC that it was indeed in the computer, but the installation program couldn't find it, I deducted that perhaps I should reboot to make the (missing?) visible. When the computer started to reboot, I found that I could no longer get beyond the bootup text. The GUI was completely gone! It was listed as a fatal error. When I checked the log file, it said that the NVIDIA driver version didn't match the kernel's.This was the last straw! I was not going to keep on chasing one-at-a-time, missing dependencies in HPLIP's installer for Mandriva, and to boot, getting this fatal re-boot error while I was in the process of fixing the other problem. At my age, life is getting too short to get mired in something like that. I want to enjoy what's left to live with good Linux or BSD experiences. So if you have any questions about DesktopBSD, feel free to contact me! I'm going back to where life is easy in computerland. It will be again, a few more years before I touch Mandriva again.

OneI can understand your frustration, though the nvidia issue is weird...nothing you've done would have changed that..what might be an issue is sometimes mandriva packages and tz packages aren't the same version or the install of the tz package looks for a file on one place and mandriva(or any other distro for that matter) places elsewhere..anyway, I know that doesn't help much...and it's not really to defend mandriva, it's just what happens. In a way Mandriva and OpenSuse have that in common, neither of them(from my experience) like much outside of their own repos. ( they will..but neither reccomend it.)On the BSD side, have your tried PC-BSD? Not sure how it compares to DesktopBSD.

OneI can understand your frustration, though the nvidia issue is weird...nothing you've done would have changed that..what might be an issue is sometimes mandriva packages and tz packages aren't the same version or the install of the tz package looks for a file on one place and mandriva(or any other distro for that matter) places elsewhere..anyway, I know that doesn't help much...and it's not really to defend mandriva, it's just what happens. In a way Mandriva and OpenSuse have that in common, neither of them(from my experience) like much outside of their own repos. ( they will..but neither reccomend it)On the BSD side, have your tried PC-BSD? Not sure how it compares to DesktopBSD.[/quot]It took me just ten minutes to get wireless going with DesktopBSD. I just entered the ESSID, and the security key. It's no big deal. I had to use a static address because the application refused to access a dynamic (DHCP) one from router. That's what I'm using now with KDE. DesktopBSD has had a much longer and more mature development run than PCBSD, and is highly polished. A lot of attention was paid to detail before releasing this last version. Since PCBSD is just starting out in the GUI realm, they have a long way to go before things run well blended together. They both are based on FreeBSD. A lot of PCBSD users still think that a GUI environment is for wimps. When I first tried PCBSD, they were talking down at me on their forum, and refused to give me the information that I needed. I simply dumped them and PCBSD, and went to DESKTOPBSD. Anyway from the reports that I read about PCBSD, it is not ready yet for prime time. There are a lot of flaws that need to be worked out. They should take a shortcut and look at DesktopBSD for some of their applications, rather than reinventing the wheel. I'll stick with what I have now. It's a well crafted GUI on top of an OS that's had 40 years of contunuous development time.Cheers!

Thanks I didn't know that about PC-BSD, I knew they had just released a new version. From what I hear, DesktopBSD is really good.(and a very loyal following).hopefully they will restart dev..very glad it work's for you. I might have give Desktop a whirl..never tried it before , so I may have some questions for you when i do. :yes:

Thanks I didn't know that about PC-BSD, I knew they had just released a new version. From what I hear, DesktopBSD is really good.(and a very loyal following) .hopefully they will restart dev..very glad it work's for you. I might have give Desktop a whirl..never tried it before , so I may have some questions for you when i do. :yes:
If you decide to try it, I would suggest that you at the very least, get a copy soon, before it totally disappears. So far, I know that it is still available in DistroWatch, but you will have to put a search for it in the archives. How long it remains there is unknown. DistroWatch is talking about purging their archives after some distros have been there for some time. The last release for this distro was Sept. of last year.

Cluttermagnet
...So far for me the very best that I've encountered is the now defunct DesktopBSD. Everything worked like a charm right from the start. However, I still don't know why it committed suicide while I was in the hospital, and totally trashed it's hard drive. So for now, It immediately boils down to Mandriva ONE (good wireless networking, missing "C" compiler, broken printer application), and DesktopBSD (Everything functional and well organised. These two offered the easiest, and best working wireless GUI setup application of all the ones that I've tried so far.
Interesting. I was inspired to go find the last DesktopBSD and download it. Burned a DVD tonight. I have it running on one of my faster machines- 3.2GHz P4, 1G DDR RAM, Asrock P4VM800 mobo, nVidia FX5200 graphics card.It works. I'm playing with it. I wouldn't have a clue how to do much with it, but it did find my Ethernet broadband and let me navigate here with FF. BTW Konqueror was a bust on this (Scot's) site. Kept getting some sort of error message. Other sites I tried worked. Ah, well, whatever. This Desktop BSD works on this box. I'll play with it a while, off and on, and just see where it takes me. Too bad it's 'discontinued', though. Edited by Cluttermagnet